Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LED lights for inside press on ebay.

KentG

Nice setup!

was it hard to wire up? any blueprints on the wiring?

I'll try to get some pics of the wiring. I forget all the connections.

With the LED strips mounted on the back upright of the press facing forward, you don't find that the light is too bright?...kind of like a flashlight in the face?

I have a strip on both sides of the press. I look down at it and there is no light in my eyes. The top of the strip is bent slightly and gives a good view into the case.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got two strips with my kit, the shorter three light and the longer one. I messed around with different layouts and configurations but never really got anything to the point where I had light shining into the case aat station 3 on my 650, which is my "eyeball" station.

I just loaded some ammo (.45acp) for the first time since doing the LED strips. I can disconnect power individually, so I tried just the back ceiling and just the front and both.

With just the back ceiling, I can see into station 3 very well, but not so well into station 2. With just the front, I can see into station 2 very well, but not so well into station 3. With both, I've got good light everywhere. This is on a RL550B. This is definitely the best lighting I've ever had on the press...beats the goose neck light strapped to the primer magazine or grill light stuck to the strong mount by quite a bit.

After reading all this I have to ask when it comes to rifle cases does the LED kit shine in the case or is it shadow? Sounds like maybe. First person to find a LED mount that actually screws in the place of the powder check wins. Plus the kit for overall brightness. I have never had luck with the powder check on rifle or small pistol consistantly.

I just placed a .223 case on the press under the lights. It's hard to say if the lights help at all with .223. The neck is so small, standing in front of the press, regardless of lighting, due to the geometry, I can't really see much beyond the neck. It does get enough light into it that I can see the inside of the neck really well.

• 1 month later...

Now those are some old school looking LEDs. What is that tool head? Older design, or one of the aftermarket "fits the press tighter so you have less variation" ones? It looks like it was milled from a block of aluminum vs molded as I assume the Dillon ones are.

Now those are some old school looking LEDs. What is that tool head? Older design, or one of the aftermarket "fits the press tighter so you have less variation" ones? It looks like it was milled from a block of aluminum vs molded as I assume the Dillon ones are.

Yeah, they are old school looking but they put out great light and I have 3 more strips for other projects.

The toolhead is milled aluminum. I picked up a pair on ebay. They were cheaper than Dillon and they work great. Living in Tucson, AZ, I pay tax on anything from Dillon or Brian, plus Dillon shipping is high for the short distance stuff travels. They work fine but next time I might pay the few extra pennies to support Brian and the great help I've gotten from reading this site.