Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is hand priming worth the hassle?

KentG

So is hand priming worth the hassle compared to just using the 650 for 223? I will most likely be using crimped brass ran thru a Dillon Swager and was curious what the consensus is.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think that if the press works well, let it.

That being said, if I am loading for national matches, I go over all rounds with hand primer. I also use a test gauge.

It may not need the extra effort...it is a mental thing.

Shooting is 95 % mental and the rest is in your head! If it help your mental game do it.

Thanks for the input. I am going to let the 650 do its job on tool head # 2. If I were a only loading a hundred or so Id hand prime but for most of us 3G guys its a thousand at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

If you pay good attention to detail when inspecting brass, and you're loading on a progressive with a reliable priming system, then don't bother with hand priming.

If you tend to get rushed and don't fully inspect cases then hand priming does give you another shot to toss out brass that shouldn't be loaded again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm setting up to load a batch of 223, and will hand-prime this batch. The main reason is to check for loose primer pockets, which I will be segregating and redoing. Oftentimes, my brass will get mixed up, and since leaky primers can scar the bolt faces, I'll deal with them in advance. I have a Harts "Case Saver", and can fix loose primer pockets, keeping the brass productive for a couple more reloadings. I tumble and resize my brass immediately after firing, so all I need to do is check the case length (in my trimmer), and hand prime, It goes quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Anachronism,

Interested in how you cull out loose primer pockets.

Most re-loaders I know aquire a feel with hand primer and/or press and throw out any thing that don't feel right.

What is a Hart's "Case Saver"???? Re-loaded for 50 + years, BAD cases go in the trash bucket.

Hope you don't try to take unfired primers back out of cases, to me that would be a no - no.

Cost of a case is not worth taking a risk.

A lot of kids and young beginners read forum post.

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Most re-loaders I know aquire a feel with hand primer and/or press and throw out any thing that don't feel right.

Perry

Exactly, doesn't matter if I'm loading on my 550, 1050, Hollywoods, Texans, Herters, Lyman, RCBS, or my Pacific. I can still feel

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

post-19948-0-66188100-1348442702_thumb.j

Edited by Reinz