Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found a 5" 625

dcloudy777

I always said I'd start shooting USPSA again, and shoot revolver at that, if I found a "deal" on a 625, particularly a 5" gun. Well, hoisted on my own petard I am. Picked up a really nice 625-4 5" last week. I took it out Saturday, shoots very nice, but the trigger is... well, it's a factory trigger. What now? Since Carmoney isn't working on guns anymore, who is the "go-to" guy for action work, chamfering, etc.? What is everyone using for holsters? Any help would be appreciated, I'm going to embarrass myself enough with this silly wheelie-thing already. :devil:

DanO

My 625-4 that I was using as a backup gun... all that was done was some minor stoning and polishing and a Reduced Power spring kit put in it. Sure, its not the trigger on an Apex or Carmoney gun, but its still a nice trigger. The chamfering I did myself. For a holster you can go with a BladeTec, or a Safariland Cup, or CR Speed Revolver, or a number of others. Check out North Mountain for accessories.

I have just had three different revolvers worked on by Clark Custom Guns (one of them my Smith 625 PC) and could not be happier. Great guys to work with, fair price and generally great turn-a-round. I would suggest them highly....but then....it's Jerry M's family :closedeyes:

I believe Apex is the current place to go for revolver action work

Apex has always been the place to go! Clark's and Frank Glenn are two other excellent choices, and there are other good shops out there.

If you're a little mechanically inclined, you can always do as JFlowers suggests and dig into it yourself.

Carmony did my first one and it is awesomely smooth. Turn around was great too. Since he took a break (not quit, hopefully he starts up again) Clark's ha been doing mine. Theirs are lighter, just as smooth, and priced right. Their communication leaves some to be desired, but what gunsmith doesn't have that problem?

I did feel one of Alex's guns at the gator and I can't believe it actually sets off primers. You really can't go wrong with either.

Okshootist is my revo smith

He did my two 625's and I get nothing but compliments on the action. Even people with apex jobs really like the work.

Just tossing out an alternative for you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I am very fortunate to have 6 S&W revolvers that are Carmonized so I am spoiled. Clark would be may choice since Mike is not doing them any longer. I have had work done on my Model 41s by Clark and thier service and turnaround time was excellent.

Is the 5" that much better/desireable/easier to shoot fast then the 4"? I'm in California and the 5" are hens teeth, but I can get a 4" JM at the local shop.

Curious as to the general opinion. I have found a 5" used, but it is not cheap. If it's "the way to go" for shooting ICOR and USPSA then I will pony up.

Thanks,

Jeff

I shoot a 4 inch. It has a little more recoil and a little less sight radius.

But I'm pretty sure that an inch of barrel isn't what's keeping me out of Grand Master.

Same. I attribute my shortcomings thus far to all the white cardboard targets that seem to attract my bullets, and the strange phenomenon where my stage plan leaves my brain when it hears the timer go beep. And being slow.