Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difficulty meeting minor?

Forgetful

I am new to reloading and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make minor PF with my gf's CZ SP-01 9mm (4.7in barrel). I made a couple loads today and my largest was 4.1 gr and this only gave 117 PF. I am using 124gr plated bullets with Solo 1000, Winchester SPP, with an OAL of 1.104.

I have heard that Solo can have slow batches, but my STI 40 (5in barrel) makes 134 PF with 3.8gr and a 180gr plated bullet at 1.18 OAL.

If I extrapolate the load data from the CZ, it'll need about 4.4/4.5gr of powder to make just under 130 PF. That seems a lot, especially compared with how easy it is to make minor with my 40. What do you think is the issue here? Other people seem to not need more than 4.1gr for 9mm minor, even with a slow Solo1000 batch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I use 4.1 gr of titegroup under 124 plated gets 135 pf. Compaing what you use with a much heavier 40 bullet tp a lighter 9 mm won't get you very far. The number you mention seem very reasonable, its going to take more powder to push that lighter bullet.

Some guns are just slow. Try a box of factory 124 /125gr and see if you are about what the box says, just remember MOST 9mm factory ammo is tested for velocity in a 4" barrel. Then work slowly up from the 4.1gr you have in .3gr increments until you hit 130pf. TG is a bit quicker than Solo1000 in some cartridges.I prefe the TG and I use 3.9gr with a 125gr JHP in 5" gun to just squeeze past 125pf. 4.1gr gives me what I need.

I couldn't find load data in the books I have for solo1000, but found on other forums people loading 4.6 gr. That being said use caution, I don't see anything in those pics indicating overpressure. Good luck and be safe, things start happening fast when you excede safe data. You would be better off with a different powder maybe.

Be very careful with that fast burning powder.

Solo1K is imho too fast for 9mm. I sometimes use 4.2 N320 (slower than S1K) on 125 lead which gives PF 130. I prefer slower powders for 9x19 though.

Edited by Extremo

As others have said, you might want to think about changing the powder. N320, Win 231/HP-38, and Titegroup seem to be very commonly used.

I can tell you my load:

Precision Delta 124gr FMJ

Win 231 4.5gr

CCI SPP #500

Mixed Brass

OAL 1.140"

PF - 135 out of a 5" 1911 (STI Spartan)

BTW: I wouldn't recommend running 124/125 PF if you're shooting USPSA. Most people try for 132, I prefer 132-135 for "extra" room. I would hate to pay all that money for a L2 match and not meet PF. The additional FPS isn't going to be noticeable anyway IMHO.

Edited by polizei1

If you look at Accurate's online load data for 9mm Solo 1000, it doesn't look good.

They list several 124/125gr jacketed loads, the fastest of which is a 124gr Rem GS with max load of 4.4gr doing 1026 fps. Next page, they even have data for plated bullets (berrys and ranier) and according to that data, you're already going beyond max load, and that data only has one load that barely makes minor.

There are plenty of powders that'll make minor easily and safely with 124gr bullets. Are you married to Solo 1000? A starting load of Universal Clays most likely will make minor with your 124gr bullets...and if it doesn't, there's plenty of room to bump up the charge safely.

I use to load Solo 1000 for 9mm and also had the same problem... By some measures I was having to load right-at the MAX Load just to make Minimum PF, on a good day.

I eventually decided Solo 1000 was the wrong powder to use for that situation.

Edited by SlowShooter

Hello,

I am using 4.35 grains of Solo 1000, 147gr Zero JHP, loaded to 1.145 COAL in my XDm 5.25 9mm. Makes 135 PF with no signs of pressure with a temperature of 45 degrees. Solo 1000 lot number is 1930.

I will be using 4.25 grains of Solo 1000 loaded with the same components listed, but with a Solo 1000 lot number of 2223. Same temperature.

I find that It is pointless to follow the book other than the starting load. What really matters is what the chrono and the shot cases (primers) are telling you. But of course your mileage will vary as well as you should keep in mind that this is what works for me in my gun with my components.

Cheers!

Molson

Those primers look fine to me (at least they do on my phone). The problem with S1000 is that there really isn't any load data. The data accurate puts out is OLLLLLLLLLLLLD and it varies by as much as .5 grains from lot to lot! You need to work up to your required PF with you lot of powder. Most will recommend buying 8# jugs if you use S1000. Unlike N320 or TG you need to rework your loads every time you open a new bottle. I seem to recall loading almost 5gr under. 124gr MG JHP with my last jug of S1000. If you are new to roloading I'd recommend sticking with Titegroup, W231 or N320.

Did you verify the integrity of the Chrograph data? A buddy of mine Chrono'ed his match load a week before a state match and the data showed a PF of 160 vs the 174 he expected. He went home bumped up the powder a smidge. His work respnsibilities would not allow for a retest untill he was ready to leave for the match. So he stopped at the range on his way to the match and re-Chrono'ed his .45 ACPs using a fresh battery. The Power factor of the new rounds measured at 186 PF :surprise:

So, I always validate Chrono with known ammo prior to a load deveolpment session.

Solo 1000 is my main powder for pistol. I have loaded with almost 32#s of it so far. IMHO, it works great for 147 gr 9mm, and it is too fast-burning and therefore suboptimal for lighter bullets. Also, lot variance makes the factory data useful only as a general recommendation. The charge that makes minor PF with a 180 gr .40 is about what makes minor with a 147 gr 9mm. I have loaded 124/125 gr 9mm a few times, but the 124/125 gr bullets simply take more powder. My data shows a load with 4.4 gr Solo and a 125 gr Bear Creek moly lead at 1.145" OAL made 990 PF, about 124 PF, with 4.71 gr Solo making 1040 fps MV for 130 PF. With another, faster-performing lot of Solo, 4.3 gr with 124 gr lead gave me MVs around 1050 fps, ~130 PF across multiple test times.

In general, if 124 gr bullets are what you want to use, I would switch powders. If Solo 100 is what you want to use, i would switch to 147 gr or heavier bullets.

Thanks for the input everyone. A lot of things for me to consider. I'm thinking my chronograph is good since my 40 loads seem normal but I want to double check with a different chronograph. It looks like I'll switch to 147 or a new powder. I just wanted to give solo a shot in 9mm 124 (for the cz's shorter chamber) since it would have been nice to consolidate powder; another consideration was I'll use a lot of lead and want to cut down on smoke from the hot burning powders.

I'm just amazed how much of a difference bullet weight makes.

Crimp is .377

Edited by Forgetful

I have been using Universal with great results for bith .40 major and minor. Tried it in 9mm and worked great with some Bearcreek 147's. Dont remember the load though. I have switched to .40 for all divisions that I currently shoot.