Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crazy Croc, Dundee OR 9/4,5

Who's going?

It's my first time to this match. I'm shooting L10. (Yes, I'm feeling a little masochistic!)

FYI, I emailed the MD and he told me the highest round stage was 57. (I needed to know if I needed to buy some more mag pouches.)

With 6 pouches/mags on the belt, I feel like walking ammo can. B)

Missing it for the first time in 3 years. It is an absolute blast. I would pay double the match fee to just shoot the jungle run.

Trey, you won't be the only person in L10. For whatever reason, the northwesterners like carrying lots of skinny mags. Evolution has to be in there somewhere. ;)

Have fun!

Rich

The state of Oregon and the Dundee range in particular continue to vex me. I had a case head separation on my second stage. My gun jammed repeatedly on my third stage. I slipped and fell hard on the jungle run on the wet wood. Surprise! Somehow I managed to finish the case-sep stage without a DNF and get off my back to finish the jungle run without a DQ or shooting myself in the leg.

I was just plain stupid shooting my practice ammo at this match. Clays under a 180 gr bullet in many-times-fired .40 cases. A nickel case head sheared off, without any clue, leaving the rest of the case in the chamber. The gun felt fine, cycled, no gas blown out, but the round in the magazine wouldn't feed. Took me a while to see the case in the chamber. I dropped the mag and cycled the gun again and held it open to show the RO that I was done, ready to take a DNF with less than 9 of the 42 rounds fired. As I showed the chamber, the stuck case dropped out and I was back in business. Just a 34 second run instead of a 17 or better.

I've shot .40S&W for over five years, with most of the rounds burning Clays. I even backed off a tenth because I don't need 177 PF for practice and non-chrono matches. I stopped throwing away brass because it never developed any problems and cracked maybe once in a hundred thousand rounds.

I tried to rally for a comeback, managing to hang on the same second with Yong Lee on Saturday's last stage, then winning Sunday's first stage handily. (And it felt the slowest and most deliberate of all the stages I shot!) I had a pretty good jungle run going until I was staring up at the trees from my back.

I was on what I suppose was the Super Squad, with two Limited GMs, an Open GM, some Open Ms and a really good Open A. The Open guns had some different strategies than me and Yong and Jason with our short-stick iron-sighted blasters. Then there were the poor Limited 10 guys who littered the ground with empty mags.

This was my first Croc match, and I was one of just SIX production shooters. I must have performed close to 50 reloads for the match. Our squad rocked though, it was a great weekend shooting with Beven Grams, William Paolino, Tom Kettels, Milton (the duckman!) Paine, Bruce Bennett, Trey Allen, Ron Downs, Colby Stroh, Brad Sitton, Chris Fitzmorris, David Bresee, and Willie Mayne.

Next year I think I'll shoot my Limited gun. :D

Many thanks to Beven for all his help. He truly is a class act.

Great match! Kudos to Brad Sitton and his crew.

It was one of the best squads I've ever shot with. Hard working and fun. We all had a superb time!

Shooting L10 was tough but it was nice to face challenges that were outside of USPSA "normal." Huge arrays, mucho reloads and the jungle run was worth the drive alone. It did help that I had an extra mag pouch - 2nd day from Brian. (Thanks Brian!)

I did jump down into the creek to hit those targets when I was supposed to take a hard left. So I ended up jumping back up (while screaming "BACK, BACK") and dashing through the ferns and undergrowth. It felt cool to come out with blood on my shirt from a some minor scratches. B)

I will definitely be back. But shooting limited. My hicaps are on order.

Beven was doing brisk business. Nothing like 50 round stages to make everyone evaluate their mag situation. :lol:

The state of Oregon and the Dundee range in particular continue to vex me.

Don't know what it is, but the Croc match always seems to chew up guns and spit out the jagged pieces.

On my squad, we had at least 4 broken guns in the course of the weekend, including one broken link, one extractor that broke in a way none of us have ever seen before, one leaf spring (!) that broke in a way none of us had ever seen before, and one gun that decided, at random, to require its operator to pull the trigger forward to reset it.

For my part, I had mag pukes on every stage. Mags that had run all season long started failing.... so I put new springs in all of them (cleverly enough, throwing away the "bad" ones)... and they got even worse. You know, the kind of mag pukes where you can shake the mag upside down and all the rounds come out except the one that is jamming the follower way down inside the tube...

Arrrggghhh...

Bruce

"..On my squad, we had at least 4 broken guns in the course of the weekend, including one broken link, one extractor that broke in a way none of us have ever seen before, one leaf spring (!) that broke in a way none of us had ever seen before, and one gun that decided, at random, to require its operator to pull the trigger forward to reset it..."

That's because the Croc is more suited for water-cooled machine guns than finely fitted handguns. :P

Anyone know how hot the working parts of your gun gets after 50 rds in 20 seconds? What temperature is your oil good to?

I know I sizzled'n blistered my thumb once after shooting 60rds in 20 seconds. That barrel hood must have been ~500F! :blink:

Anyone know how hot the working parts of your gun gets after 50 rds in 20 seconds? What temperature is your oil good to?

Not too bad from 56 rounds in 19.73 seconds, but I got some extra cooling from the front cocking serrations/air-cooling fins and waving it around quickly with my side-berm to side-berm transitions. :) Slide Glide #1 worked great. We did get a little extra "liquid cooling" as it was Oregon, after all.