Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 G3G Practical Shotgun Challenge July 6-7 at The World Shooting Co

I suppose knowing I was going to a match at a venue that specializes in aerial clays, I might have wanted to practice that before the match!!

A fun & humbling match. It was quite eye opening and without question, I found some areas I need to work on.

Thanks to Jeremy, Aaron, all the sponsors, the RO's and the rest of the match staff for all of their hard work.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RO'd for squad 5. FUN match that was humbling on several stages.

Stage 12....the spinning/swinging clay holding contraption....Jeremy, that was wrong...wrong wrong wrong....and I loved it! :-)

I may have found some new interests in sporting clays and skeet. Having never shot them before, I really enjoyed those stages, shooting 28/40 on the sporting clays and 17/25 on the skeet range was good enough to make me want to go do that again.

The stage points weighting may have been a bit off for my liking, but with the mistakes I made, I expected myself to fall in the standing to around where I fell. Stage RO's (instead of, or in addition to squad RO's) at each stage would have kept things more consistent, but I can't imagine how it would be done if the RO's were going to shoot the match too.....and to be honest, I can't afford the drive from KC to pay for a hotel, fuel, food in order to RO without shooting. Considering the range and how busy I imagine it could be, I can't imagine the stages being left out for an entire week between an RO shoot and regular match to keep things consistent, and I also can't imagine shooting all 20 stages Friday and being able to walk (let alone RO) for the match the next morning. Not sure if there is a great fix to that one!

I think Jeremy and Aaron did a good job with the match, and from what I was hearing and seeing from the shooters, it looked like most everyone had a blast.

Wow! What a great match. I'm completely exhausted. I've got a twisted ankle, blisters, a burnt thumb and what I hope is diaper rash but I still have a smile on my face.

Thanks to Rob our fearless RO for keeping us going. Thanks to all the staff, Aaron, Ryan and Jeremy for getting a real match at a really awesome facility.

When do applications for next year come out?

You're not alone in the bumps, bruises and blisters. It was great to shoot with you and squad 10. I am exhausted today, but have some fantastic memories. Luckily, the little woman is taking good care of us and getting me back into shape for the weekend local matches. Can't thank her enough for helping out with scores this past weekend too. That was one less thing the rest of us had to mess with.

For this nearly 39 year old, that was the single most physically challenging 2-day test I've had in quite some time. However, I can't wait for next year!

Aaron and Jeremy, you set the bar high for your first match of this format. 20-stages in 2 days across that much realestate was an amazing feat to pull off, physically and logistically. Huge thanks for pulling out all the stops for one heck of a shotgun challenge. I cannot think of a skill that wasn't put to task... and you thought of plenty I never tested... (clays... oh, how I've never shot any of those games, very humbling), charcoal chucking comes to mind... and the SPIDER target was daunting but I ran that stage rather well and enjoyed shooting it - hated resetting it. (Tell me someone has video to post of that thing in action!)

Final thought - complimentary adult beverages as post match tradition during awards... you know, traditions and all... just sayin...

OK, serious suggestions will be sent off line. :)

Great match guys, and what a big success for the first event of it's kind in the midwest. You really put the Sparta Facility to task and shed some light on what that place is capable of. Nicely done.

Edited by Tactica

BTW: Anyone else notice the Helicopter at the range on the first day in the AM by the trap / skeet stages? Not sure what that was all about, but it looked like it was going to land right in the middle of the road between stage 19 and stage 3.

BTW: Anyone else notice the Helicopter at the range on the first day in the AM by the trap / skeet stages? Not sure what that was all about, but it looked like it was going to land right in the middle of the road between stage 19 and stage 3.

Rob, I thought that was your transportation to the range. I guess I was wrong. :roflol:

Great match and very demanding as mentioned. I learn a lot this weekend and sure hope some videos surface from this match.

Wow, what a fantastic match. I learned a ton from watching the shooters on my squad. I also learned that being an RO over 20 stages in two days will wear a guy out!

Big thanks to Aaron and Jeremy and all of the other people behind the scenes that made a match of this size go as smoothly as it did in it's infancy.

More thanks to the sponsors of the event who make matches like these possible!

Nordic Components

AP Customs

Brownells

Noveske Rifleworks

Korte

The Shooters Source

TACCOM

Boomershooter.com

MGM Targets

Graf and Sons

Lancer Systems

Roth Concept Innovations

Ergo Grip

Samson

Animal Customs

Just shooting matches is rewarding enough, but these folks really add the cherry onto the sundae at the prize table!

One request for a new sponsor for the match, Off Tick Repellent would be a welcome addition! :goof:

I shot 3 videos and two were actually good runs, here is second place Limited Stage 17 SlugFest (Rob Romero 1st Limited). At least at this moment! (Sorry Jeremy, had to poke you on that one!). No matter how bad I shot the other 18 stages :sick: , I am only will going to remember these!

Here is 1st place (at the moment) Limited on "Old Glory" Stage 15.

Edited by roxymajor

Back on point with some vids after a bit of a hiatus.

Here is a highlight video in HD from The Noveske Shooting Team. Romero (2nd Limited), Casanova (3rd Limited) and Jones (2nd Manual).

Enjoy.

Edited by cold

Wow! What a great match. I'm completely exhausted. I've got a twisted ankle, blisters, a burnt thumb and what I hope is diaper rash but I still have a smile on my face.

Thanks to Rob our fearless RO for keeping us going. Thanks to all the staff, Aaron, Ryan and Jeremy for getting a real match at a really awesome facility.

When do applications for next year come out?

What you need:

anti_monkey_butt_powder.JPG

This really was a great match. The growing pains weren't bad, and the long stages were super cool. Are the scores on the Practiscore site accurate yet?

Here ya go:

https://practiscore.com/match-results/uuid?uuid=2D96D57A-88E6-432F-A3F6-A3557BC59696

Those scores still aren't correct. They are going to have to toss the slug fest stage because our squad was told to shoot the stage with outlaw 3 gun scoring. Two anywhere or one alpha to neutralize the target. We were the only squad to do so and it effects the top 3 finishers in each division as well as several category winners. Jeremy is working on getting it all lined out but it sounds like he's got some work to do so please be patient.

There was an error in the scoring method for the clay target stages. As many of you have noticed this caused drastic swings in score between the stage winner and the rest of the shooters. This was not the way this was intended to work and it unfairly and disproportionately penalized many of the top shooters who attended the match.

Since this was discovered, and has been corrected, after the conclusion of the match there is nothing we can do about prizes and they will stand as they were awarded on match day. We have however corrected the scores in Practiscore and re-posted the results to acknowledge the correct standings for the match. New plaques will be shipped to the top 3 shooters in each division if their standing has changed.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. I personally take responsibility for the error and offer my sincerest apologies to the shooters who are affected by the changes in scoring.

Corrective steps have already been taken to ensure that this is not an issue in the future and we look forward to having the opportunity to make it up to you with an even better match next year.

The scoring on the charcoal stage doesn't make sense either.

Everyone had a 30 second time limit and was awarded a (1) second bonus for each piece of charcoal they hit. The stage was worth (50) points and the winner got 100% of the available points

Lastly how can we tell who shot what on the clay stage

I had to come up with a mathematical method of entering a score as a time that would allow practiscore to calculate the match points and % correctly. Practiscore was not designed to be used to score this type of stage (which we have learned the HARD way) so we had to find a way to get the scores in there that would reflect the correct results. The following lists the numbers used to get practiscore to spit out the correct results:

25= 5.00 24= 5.21 23= 5.43 22= 5.68 21= 5.95 20= 6.25 19= 6.58 18= 6.94 17= 7.35 16= 7.81 15= 8.33 14= 8.93 13= 9.62 12= 10.42

11= 11.36 10= 12.50 9= 13.89 8= 15.63 7= 17.86 6= 20.83 5= 25.00 4= 31.25 3= 41.67 2= 62.50 1= 125.00

It's not pretty and there is probably a better way, but this gets the correct results

Edited by JTMaddox

same principle for sporting clays:

40= 2.50 39= 2.56 38= 2.63 37= 2.70 36= 2.78 35= 2.86 34= 2.94 33= 3.03 32= 3.13 31= 3.23 30= 3.33 29= 3.45 28= 3.57 27= 3.70 26= 3.85 25= 4.00 24= 4.17 23= 4.35 22= 4.55 21= 4.76 20= 5.00 19= 5.26 18= 5.56 17= 5.88 16= 6.25 15= 6.67 14= 7.14 13= 7.69 12= 8.33 11= 9.09 10= 10.00 9= 11.11 8= 12.50 7= 14.29 6= 16.67 5= 20.00 4= 25.00 3= 33.33 2= 50.00 1= 100.00

Edited by JTMaddox

The scoring on the charcoal stage doesn't make sense either.

Everyone had a 30 second time limit and was awarded a (1) second bonus for each piece of charcoal they hit. The stage was worth (50) points and the winner got 100% of the available points

That doesn't work out right. The winner in Limited/Standand had 14 hits. A shooter with 10 hits has .7142857 (10/14) of the winners scores. Take .7142857 and multiple that by the maximum points and you get .7142857*50 = 35.714285 match points. The method used in PractiScore gives 40 points.