Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

75gr handload

WhiteRubi

Hornady 75gr BTHP, LC Brass, CCI#41, 2.250" COL, 23.7gr W748 = 2610 FPS from my suppressed 16.5" 5.56 mid-lentgh (1:7") with an adjustable gas block. Shoots 0.70 MOA groups with a 550 yard dial up of 3.9 mil with a 100 yard zero. Anything past 400 yards gets iffy with the wind over 10-15 mph but I've made hits to 720 yards on 12" plates with a good spotter making wind calls.

The Berger 80.5gr bullets smoke these, but they are twice the price. I'm looking for something better than the Hornady but not the price of the Bergers if anyone has some suggestions.

W748 is a very nice, soft shooting powder for the .223! If your buddy is willing, you have have him make you up a couple different types of loads & see which one shoots the tightest groups at 200 yds. I've also had good results with Varget & CFE. The whole idea to reloading is to see what your gun likes, shoots the best, & feels the best. I'd shoot for a round anywhere from 2,550 to 2,650 fps

I've had good luck with the Hornady 75 BTHP.

23.5 gr Varget

2.25 OAL

CCI-400 (would recommend #450 or #41 instead, 400's have a thin cup)

Sub-moa in my 18" Nordic, with a 1-4 TR24. I am sure these other powders work very well too. Varget is a pain to meter if you don't have the right powder measure, a ball powder like 748 or TAC is much better in this respect. TAC is also more inexpensive.

Varget is a pain to meter if you don't have the right powder measure, a ball powder like 748 or TAC is much better in this respect. TAC is also more inexpensive.

I've found that my Hornady powder measure on the LNL Progressive is not consistent enough, even with the W748, for the ammo that I'm planning to use beyond 300 yards on smaller targets. Might be okay for full size targets but not 12" or smaller plates. For these rounds I prep the brass in a pass through the press with the Dillon RT1200 doing the sizing and trimming. Then a second pass just to hold the case in position for the powder funnel die and then bullet seating. My powder load is measured out with a set of Hornady LNL Auto Charge Dispensers. They are a little slow, but dead accurate.

W748 is a very nice, soft shooting powder for the .223!

Yes it is. I really like using it for all my .223 loads. It meters perfectly fine for my 55gr loads. It's just the 75gr loads that I get picky with since I'm spending extra money on the bullets.

I actually buy it as surplus pulldown powder. My last order I got it for $95 per 8 pound jug. From Hi-Tech Ammo. His site seems to be down right now, but he's worth check on when you're ready to order. Buy enough and he waives the Hazmat fees and the shipping cost.

• 1 year later...

Tested the hornady 75s today with TAC at near max charge for 5.56 and got worse than 2 MOA at 200 yards. Barrel is the Voodoo 1:7 in 5.56. 69s SMK shoot great. Am I pushing the 75s too much? Not sure if I want to give up on them or try something lighter like 24-24.5 range. Anyone else have results at near 5.56 max charge with TAC and hornady 75 Match?

25 gr of varget, loaded to max length for p mags, out of an 18" jp give me 2612 fps. It is a very accurate load out of my rifle when I have my scope rings tight. Sierra recommends VV 140 as accurate for loads in this bullet range. We all know it's a little pricier. I may try some next time I pick up supplies. I picked up the hornadys when midway had them on clearance sale a few weeks ago. Wish I'd bought a bunch of them a s the price was way better and they shoot pretty good out of my rifle.

Edited by shooter steve

Does anyone have a load that mimics the 75gr Hornady Steel Match rounds?

My rifle really likes those, but I haven't been able to find any since Newtown. (Annoyingly, I've got maybe 60 or so rounds left. Not quite enough to feel comfortable shooting a match.)

Does anyone have a load that mimics the 75gr Hornady Steel Match rounds?

My rifle really likes those, but I haven't been able to find any since Newtown. (Annoyingly, I've got maybe 60 or so rounds left. Not quite enough to feel comfortable shooting a match.)

I use 23.7 gr of TAC with the Hornady 75gr BTHP loaded to mag length and get the same velocity as the Hornady 75gr steel match.

• 1 month later...

I shot the hornady 75 grain steel match yesterday from my 18 jp barrel and was getting 2600 fps. The production was halted for a while on these but they are finally coming back in stock now so you may be able to find them now. I just picked up a few hundred from cabelas and I saw a bunch of 308 and 223 steel match at my local Academy (southern sporting good store).

wow... I loaded a bunch of HDY 75's with 22.5 grns of TAC yesterday. I didn't chrono as I was looking for accuracy only. I got .6 MOA (I was shooting 100 yards) with this load. Using Tula SRM primers. As I went a little hotter 23.0 the group opened up a little to about 1.5 moa. 22.5 cycled my rifle fine and brass ejected about 4:00. But seeing this now I am thinking they are too light... I need to shoot some 200 and 300 yards and see if they run out od steam...

I had good luck in my Krieger barrel with 23.6 gr of TAC with the Hornady 75 HPBT. For some reason, I have had trouble finding a great load with the Hornady bullets out of my Noveske. I assume it is due to the different rifling. My Noveske loves the 77 SMK with 24.0 gr of Varget.

I would encourage you to do a complete ladder workup for your particular rifle. Load all identical brass, primers, and bullets, but vary the powder charge. If you are set on TAC, then maybe start at 23.0, and increase to 23.3, 23.6, 23.9, 24.2 gr with 5 rounds each. Then take them out and shoot them all on the same day. The rifle will tell you which one it likes the best. Make sure the barrel has had around 20 rounds through it to make sure it is equally dirty for all of the loads. Then you can vary .1 gr above or below that load if you really want to be retentive like I am!