Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I HAVE HAD 2 "SQUIBS" FROM MY NEW DILLON 550B THIS WEEK

glockdude1

Yes, checking every 25 rounds is analysis paralysis...you are overdoing it...the drop will not change that much, if at all, even after hundreds of rounds. However, since you have to add primers in every 100 rounds, that's the time to check powder and do any adjustments.

Many powders don't burn well/completely at lower pressures. If you had a very partial charge (say 1gr instead of 5gr) of powder, the pressure when the primer sets off the powder is going to be way lower than normal...thus you end up with extra sooty brass, or maybe even some unburned powder.

This is the type of problem that in the computer tech support world is known as a PEBCAK.

@Burned out and @calls shots have it right. I've been reloading with Dillon presses since before there was a 550, when every action had to be done by moving the charge bar by hand. Lots more squibs in those days.

A squib is almost invariably a round with primer and no powder at all. You get that by turning the shell plate without giving the ram a full stroke. The 550 does not auto-index; you have to remember when to turn the shellplate and when not to.

It is remotely possible to get it to happen if the powder bar sticks after dropping one charge, and then never picks up the next one, but that is very rare and only happens with very fine ball powder like 296 and it does not happen if the failsafe rod is in place.. Even long stick powder being dropped into a .22 rifle case will nearly always drop enough powder to get the bullet out of the barrel. As little as 1 grain of Unique should suffice to get the bullet all the way down the barrel. The primer, however, has enough energy, especially in a small case like the 9mm, to stick the bullet part way down the bore.

This is a mistake commonly made by reloaders who are new to reloading, or new to the 550. Something goes wrong or they get interrupted or distracted, and they forget what is supposed to happen next, forget what they have already done and do it again, or skip a step.

As an RO and club safety officer I have seen it happen literally dozens of times. RO's are trained to watch for just that occurrence - gun goes pop, not bang. Shooter tries to clear what he thinks is a malfunction. If he manages to chamber and fire the next round, it will certainly ruin expensive parts if not the whole gun, and may cause serious injury to the RO as well as the shooter.

The only other thing likely to cause a squib is contaminated powder. Cast bullets loads left in the hot sun in a hatchback will do it - the wax lube liquifies and gets so hot that it forces its way past the bullet into the case and contaminates the powder. That one is easy to diagnose - there will be lots of unburned powder in the barrel.

All of your suggestions are much appreciated, guys...Thanks..

I switched powder to 231 and am visibly checking every casing before I put the bullet on, and I haven't had a squib since....I am pretty sure that it was my fault, probably when I had a primer jam and didn't get a full load, or something...

Get a RCBS Lock Out Die.... problem solved.

The issue really is what you do and what happens during a stoppage when you are reloading. Sometimes you will advance the case before you dispensed powder... (then again, a dillon 550 is not auto index)....

yeah, use a lock out die.

Came here to say this. Also, I don't have a 550, but aren't they 4 station? If so you would need to use a Lee seat/crimp die in station 4, that way you can run the RCBS in Station 3.

Get a RCBS Lock Out Die.... problem solved.

The issue really is what you do and what happens during a stoppage when you are reloading. Sometimes you will advance the case before you dispensed powder... (then again, a dillon 550 is not auto index)....

yeah, use a lock out die.

Came here to say this. Also, I don't have a 550, but aren't they 4 station? If so you would need to use a Lee seat/crimp die in station 4, that way you can run the RCBS in Station 3.

Correct. 4 Station.

b - you have a newer style powder measure and loaded some rounds without the failsafe rod in place, so the powder measure was not resetting. In that state, it can dispense very small amounts of powder, but not full charges.

I have to amend this. I was just loading some 9mm and decided to see what happens if I remove the failsafe rod. After it dispensed powder once, the powder bar never moved enough to dispense any powder again. So, while this is a way you could get a squib, it's kind of noticeable, and probably wouldn't dispense any powder at all.

I've done both, squibs and double charges with my 550. I started loading with an SDB and the self indexing feature prevented the problem. My problem with the 550 is distractions and lack of focus, loading when I'm tired or trying to load to fast (I'm a type A). Everyone at the range said, you've got to get a 650 or 1050.

I've solved the problem for about six months now with my 550. My solution: 1. Switched to a denser powder (Solo 1000) where a double charge over fills the case. 2. Whenever I get distracted and stop for some reason, I pull the four cases in the press and start over. I put them aside and just start reloading again. When I'm finished, I pick up the four cases and determine where they should go, then deal with them one at a time.

I check my powder drop about every hundred rounds. With an empty press, I do 10 drops and divide it out to get the closest estimate of my charge.

I just loaded a small batch of .40 on a 550 using 800X powder. I do the visual check for powder on each case and have not had a squib but I have noticed the charge getting lighter as I load. I have to keep an eye on the charge and adjust to keep my loads from getting on the light side.

Suggestion Only !

Mount a Mirror from the Dollar Store via 1/4" all thread and fender washers to the table and /or press.

Get a econo wire frame lady make-up mirror 1 by 3x on one side. Mount so you can take a quick look every time the Shell Plate/ star is advanced.

One has to keep your mind on re-loading only, or it will return and bite you in the butt or worse.

Have FUN be SAFE.

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, isn't 4.5grns of Unique a bit on the light side with an 115grn bullet? 5.3grns is a "factory duplication load" with an 124grn bullet. If you use powder drops less than those that are listed as "starting loads" in the books you could get just what you are seeing... squib loads that fail to light up correctly and don't even expand the case to fill the chamber, thus giving you the "dirty shell syndrome" you experienced. Unique is a good powder, but any powder must reach a certain pressure to operate efficiently. Below that, they don't work properly.

I think those loads are just too light.

I think you are exactly right. The loads are far too light to work properly. Unique does not light under powered loads. If you want to go crazy light go with Bullseye or HP38.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the powder measure full. Even when I am going like mad I stop and top off the hopper. Letting the powder measure get below the baffle is asking for trouble. Also as others have said, keep your attention focused on what you are doing. Practice smooth and speed will follow. Look in the case before placing the bullet.

• 3 weeks later...

im a little late on this, but a primer is enought to push the bullet into the barrel. no powder needed. I had this happen three times after setting my 650 up, and dealing with subsequent errors before i was familiar with the press and had it operating properly.

And getting the powder check die.