Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

velocity loss from .40 6" barrel to 5"

blaster113

I normally use a 6" custom STI build for Limited. So after reading the post about spare parts I realized in my spare parts kit I have just about all the parts to build a new gun except for the major components such as the slide/frame/barrel. If I build a 5" back up gun, how much velocity loss should I expect with my 6" loads? Was thinking about building a 5" as I wanted to build a 10mm blaster/.40 Limited dual purpose gun. I normally load my 165 gr. match loads to 170-172 pf.

tried searching, my search fu is weak.

I think much would depend on the burn rate of the powder(s) you use. If you're using clays, you might gain velocity with the shorter bbl.

If you're using a slower powder that burns completely in a 6 but not a 5, then you'll lose some velocity.

Hmmmmm.... I've allways found that going from my 6" .45 to my 5" .45 with the same load is a drop of 45-60 fps.

Now mind you, I'm powerfactoring "old school" at 180+....so a few fps isnt going to drop me into minor.....just say,n

The barrel is the variable that can't be checked until you fire rounds through it. Velocity will vary from barrel to barrel with the same loads. Running the same load for two different guns may require a hotter load to make PF in one gun.

Rich

If the velocity drop from a 6" to a 5" is 45-60 fps then my little project is a no go as I would have to load to about 174-5 pf, too snappy with my light 6". My powder of choice for Limited is fast burning N320. 5.3/5.4 grains gives me 170-172 pf.

Hello: Rich is telling the truth on barrels. I have a load I use in my 6" with 165 grain bullets and it is 174.1PF and a friend of mine tried them in his 5" factory Edge and they were 174.6PF. He either has a fast barrel or mine is slow. I also have shot the same load in my 5" single stack and it makes 169.4PF but it is a little too snappy for me. I like heavier bullets in the 5" pistols. I use Tite Group which meters about the same as N320. Thanks, Eric

For major in USPSA pf is only 165. I shot loads in the 175 pf range in my light gun and they were unpleasant. 5.4 grains of N320 gives me a pf of 172, so loads in this range should be OK. Even a pf drop of 5 points would still get me major in the backup gun. good points about the individual barrels and the variances in velocity. Are there any brands that run faster than others? this future build will be on the budget side. I'm thinking STI, KKM or Schuemann for barrels in that order just due to pricing.

After having a disaster at Area 2 last year that could have been construed as a gun problem at the time, I'm thinking more and more about a backup gun. Had I had a backup gun available and had to shoot another stage I would have brought it out. The goal is to build a cheap backup Limited gun that I can blast some hot 10mm through (with a barrel and recoil spring change of course) when the mood strikes haha :goof:

Edited by blaster113

well why dont you just built the 5" 10mm/40 and not worry about it? If you have to break out the backup gun, your day has probably already gone to hell, so who cares if you're going minor? Unless you're a top of the pack guy (not sayin you aren't, but I'm sure not) it wouldn't matter, gets you shooting, and keeps you from driving home cranky