Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just curious if anyong has installed the SP2 patch to Win XP. My Win update software is telling me to install it, yet it seems that the trade rags are saying many people are holding off. What is your experience? :huh:

Feelings are mixed about Service Pack 2. You can obtain it on CD, I believe, thru the Microsoft Website. I have dial-up as well, and don't dare try and download it. There just aren't enough days in the week. :wacko:

I'm assuming it might be more expedient to have the CD on hand.

I've been running it on my laptop for a couple of days, no issues at all so far.

It has some nice enhancements for wireless networking, native popup blocking in IE and a pretty good firewall.

Haven't looked for or noticed much else as of yet.

BradC

On Friday my IT Department Manager was advising not to install just yet. Apparently they have messed with the access rights to some ports (or some other technical change affecting some ports).

Some programs, and in my case AutoCAD LT is one of them, cease to function properly after the installation. I'm also being told that some major computer companies such as HP (I think) have told their staff not to install the update until the company has checked it out more thoroughly. They expect to have to tweak the software for themselves to avoid some foreseen problems. I'll see if I can get a link to the reports on this. It will have to be Tuesday because we have an official holiday in the UK on Monday.

Another bit of information, and in support of the info above is that BT (British Telecom), who have a tie in with Yahoo to provide an Internet/email package are advising not to install the XP upgrade until customers first install a "fix" to avoid the issues that will be created. Please see below:

Some BT Yahoo! Internet software components are based on features of the Windows XP operating system. Therefore, we are asking BT Yahoo! Internet software customers with XP operating systems to install a critical update BEFORE installing Microsoft’s XP Service Pack 2. Starting August 16th we are providing customers with the critical update automatically.

Thanks for the responses. I don't have any burning need to install it, so I think I am going to hold tight for a little while. What I really don't have time for, is to re-install everything on my machine if something gets weird..... :(

installed and runs fine on my home pc. i have heard of some snags on large network systems at some colleges and large company's. that should come as no surprise. i downloaded my copy from http://www.fileplanet.com/ on the subscriber side. man, it took 20 HUGE minutes to download 244 megs, what a grind :rolleyes: sorry....

Like many new releases of ANY of this stuff, the first few weeks/months are revealing. I have no absolute need to install it this week or anything, so I'm officially in the 'wait-and-watch' mode for now. Moreover, it'll have to come on CD... what with dial-up being what it is. :rolleyes:<_<

Brian, I would hold off right now on updating your machine to sp2. I have 3 customers computers here with lsass errors generated by updating to sp2, without the lsass application running the OS cannot create the authentication token that is used by the windows logon service therefore making your machine useless since you cannot login and thus far the errors have been unrecoverable and have required a new installation of XP.

I'd do it (actually I've done it to a couple systems so far). The reason the big companies like HP aren't going to it is the firewall breaks the SMS "big brother" application they use to monitor and update employee systems.

The firewall, popup blocker and security improvements are well worth it.

The reason the big companies like HP aren't going to it is the firewall breaks the SMS "big brother" application they use to monitor and update employee systems.

The firewall, popup blocker and security improvements are well worth it.

The MS firewall is a software piece of junk and I wouldnt put much faith in anything other than ipchains or iptables.

The pop up blocker can be nice at times, but others can be had that are just as effective without taking the chance at corrupting your system.

The security enhancements are just holes they should have fixed 6 months ago.

And I thats the first time Ive heard of the firewall issues with SMS considering Systems Management Server is used to help speed up the distribution and installation of sp2 for network managed machines.

I wouldnt put much faith in anything other than ipchains or iptables.

The pop up blocker can be nice at times, but others can be had that are just as effective without taking the chance at corrupting your system.

The security enhancements are just holes they should have fixed 6 months ago.

Sure an up to date Linux box is better, but if somebody's asking 'should I update to SP2?", they're not about to pop into emacs and configure iptables.

SP2 is better than it was before.. and sooner or later you'll have to go there to get the latest MS patches (and there will be some, guaranteed..)

For most users the upgrade has been relatively painless.

If you use dial-up order the CD from Microsoft at:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/journ/Oxpsp2cd.html

I have done a huge number of installs (both beta and final release) on a variety of devices from several manufactures. I have not encountered a show stopper but have seen a couple of hiccups that were easily corrected. The final release did not properly handle a number of Symantec products including Norton Anti-virus. Nothing was wrong, it (SP2) just wasn’t able to manage Norton and allowed me to choose an option to continue the program.

The known program issues that can be viewed at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...42242#appliesto

Home users will probably be interested in the “Games” section of the list.

I would disable the firewall option at the start and turn off the pop-up blocker if you already have one installed that you like.

geezer