Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 MGM Ironman

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... 900 pistol, 900 rifle, about 450 shot and maybe 150 slugs...

Sounds about right :0) Gives you a nice buffer in case you need to reshoot a stage or 3.

Or share with friends, should they need to reshoot or something.

Last year's Ironman was only my second real 3-gun match. I went through about 600 each of rifle, shot, and pistol and about 100 slugs.

But I was spraying pistol at spinners, rifle at spinners and dueling trees and taking a couple of shots at flying clays at times.

I will probably go through less this year (I hope).

A good shooter will go through a LOT less, but I got to shoot more for the same price ;-)

My advice - bring a bunch and you will take some home. Better than borrowing...

Any MGM aficionados know if we can switch classes at registration?

I registered for limited and want to move to open. I have an email in to MGM, but thought I'd see if anyone here knows.

Thanks.

Sounds about right :0) Gives you a nice buffer in case you need to reshoot a stage or 3.

Under what circumstances would you need/get to reshoot a stage?

Under what circumstances would you need/get to reshoot a stage?

Last year at the USPSA MultiGun Nationals an RO stopped me after abandoning my rifle and moving to my pistol. The rifle was empty and locked back but all he saw was that the safety was not engaged. I got a reshoot. I guess you never know what will require a reshoot. But its always good to be prepared. Stuff happens.

Reshoots at the Ironman are about as rare as hens teeth. Pretty much just keep shooting and unless the zip line wire breaks or the slide falls down your gonna get what you get for a run. It happens, but it's pretty darn rare. That said I managed to burn four rifle mags on a stage that should have required. 22 rounds. (And I only got one hit). It's really easy to go to war on some of the longer targets and burn a lot of ammo very quickly.

Some thing I learned after two ironman comps , is that for the shotgun slug spinner FULL power slugs are the way to go. Take your time and they will go over in 2 shots if not 1. I managed to get one in 1 shot. I had used low recoil slugs the first year and the spinner looses momentum to quickly. Good luck and may the zip line be with you

Federal 1610 fps slugs, will put it over fairly easy if its hit right. For the double spinners on use with shot, the magic is Federal Prarie Storm shot shells, one shot, "over" friend gave me a couple to try last year.

What really scares me is the round counts for shotgun.

Stage 2 requires 31 hits . . . :surprise:

I just checked the Ironman website, I didnt see that they posted the stages yet, where did you see the stages?

Email.

PM me your addy.

There mighht be some issues with thier email..

I ddn't get 2 that I know went out.. maybe they're emailing in batches :(

IF someone has them and wouldn't mind.. can you send me a set?

dhaydenbzmt at gmail.com

Thanks in advance...

Done.

There mighht be some issues with thier email..

I ddn't get 2 that I know went out.. maybe they're emailing in batches :(

IF someone has them and wouldn't mind.. can you send me a set?

dhaydenbzmt at gmail.com

Thanks in advance...

Done

ETA: Whoops - should have kept reading. Sorry for the extra email.

Edited by Zeke013

What really scares me is the round counts for shotgun.

Stage 2 requires 31 hits . . . :surprise:

You can ask the RO if you can stage ammo like an extra box someplace. You typically don't need to have all the ammo on you. A lot of times you will hear someone yell "SHOTGUN.. SHOTGUN" and see someone running a shotgun to a shooter or "SLUGS.. SLUGS.." The only shooters that can't take any help are the ones in Trooper class.

It's very entertaining especially when it's not you or someone on your squad yelling for help.

Totals so far.

Stage 1
R 36
P 32
S 28
Slug 6
Stage 2
R 28
P 28
S 31
Stage 3
R 22
P 35
S 26
Slug 4
Stage 4A
R 14
P 14
Slug 7
Stage 4B
P 36
Stage 5
R 26
P 30
S 30
Stage 6
R 30
P 40
S 20
Slug 4
Stage 7
R 30
P 26
S 22
Slug 6
Stage 10
R 30
P 34
S 26
Slug 8
1-7,10 Totals
Rifle 216
Pistol 275
Shot 183
Slug 35

If I'm reading the stages right the round counts look like they include a minimum round count for each firearm for all the targets that could be shot with that gun. But it looks like there are lots of targets you can shoot with multiple guns. Like plates with shotgun or pistol. Might be able to reduce that shotgun loading a bit by doing some more pistol work. This is just a guess though since the diagrams are still rough.

I really want to thank Travis for putting this out. I thought I was the only one who started out with stage diagrams that looked like they were drawn by a drunken 8 year old.