Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

leftover primers in the feed tube, what do you do?

So, I just (finally) got a 550, after loading 10k or so rounds on a lee single-stage press. I've been able to figure out most stuff, but after i finished up with my 45's and went to switch to 40 this evening, I thought the primer feed tube would come out with any leftover primers...... but it didn't, so the 8-10 that were left just tumbled out the bottom when I cycled the press.

Is there a smart way to empty that feed tube? or do I just need to run it dry and count better?

I just load until the press is empty especially handgun ammo whats a few more to the party ?

well, in this case, I ran out of bullets. I knew I was going to run out with a handful of primers left, but I thought they would just stay in the tube when i removed it. Live and learn. I'll buy more bullets in the future. :rolleyes:

You could always prime the brass with the few you have left and throw them in a bag for later loading.

This, although I do hate it when they don't come out even (which is all the time). I do make sure I don't put like 100 primers in the tube with only 8 or 10 bullets left in the box though! I actually just changed from CCI SP for .40 to Fed SP Match for .38 Specials in my 550B and had about 10 .40 bullets left so just dumped that many primers out on a rag on the bench and put them on the primer ram one at the time to finsh the last few bullets off. Pretty slow but for just 10 or so rounds what the heck.

So, I just (finally) got a 550, after loading 10k or so rounds on a lee single-stage press. I've been able to figure out most stuff, but after i finished up with my 45's and went to switch to 40 this evening, I thought the primer feed tube would come out with any leftover primers...... but it didn't, so the 8-10 that were left just tumbled out the bottom when I cycled the press.

Is there a smart way to empty that feed tube? or do I just need to run it dry and count better?

If your switching from 45 to 40 your changing out the primer ram as well from large to small... when you pull the primer feed unit off the press to switch the ram, pull off the plastic rod and put your finger over the end of the feed tube and tip it over, then dump it out on a left over primer tray and store till later.

Or as mention, just prime the remaining brass and set it aside.

Out of bullets and changing primer size. I keep a small plastic box with a lid. Remove the primer tubes from the press and pour the extras in the box. Do the change over and start that run. Next time I need just a few I use some from the box. There's times I load revolver ammo for my 625 using Federal Primers, finish a box of bullets and start a run for the same caliber for auto pistols using Winchester Primers. Same song just put the extra's in the box.

Mine a little smaller but a sandwich keeper box would work.