Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What can I do with sti 126 mm mags

Forgetful

I may have some 126mm mags. Is there a specific base pad I can add to make them competitive with the 140mm? I have a gift certificate to grams and they sell 11mm pads, what will this get me?

Also is there some sort of database/table listing mag and base pad combos that fit "the gauge"?

Hello: One of the problems with the 126mm tubes is if you use a magwell the base pad has to clear the magwell. Arredondo make some and so does Double Tap. Both are available from Shooters Connection. The Grams 11mm will not clear most magwells. Also you have to make sure the follower does not roll over causing a salt shaker mag. I have used the 126mm tubes for reloads or even start mags. I am using the Double Tap base pad that does not add any rounds but extends the tube far enough so I can reload easily. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Thanks I didn't think of the salt shaker issue. Maybe I'll just try and get a 140 or two for the stages I need them on. Hopefully something will work out from the parts I have. Still need a magwell so I can experiment with what works. Followers may be the deciding factor since reliability is paramount.

I'm in the same boat, made a trade deal that included a bunch of 126mm mags and I don't have any 140mm mags, so I've been thinking about this as well. I'd even be willing to give up the magwell for awhile if I could find a mag extension that could make the 126mm mags close to competitive for the time being.

I should probably quit trying to save money and just buy some 140mm mags, I'm going to eventually any way.

Thanks I didn't think of the salt shaker issue. Maybe I'll just try and get a 140 or two for the stages I need them on. Hopefully something will work out from the parts I have. Still need a magwell so I can experiment with what works. Followers may be the deciding factor since reliability is paramount.

Use them as Starting mags then reload 140mm, on lower rd count stages like speed shoots, classifier and use them in practice saving your good ones for matches. They are far from useless and a " highest cap mag" is only an advantage a few times a month maybe

Hello: Not one of the base pads that add rounds that I tried would fit with these magwells-Cameron, Dawson Ice or a factory STI. Without the magwell I tried a couple but the one that fit that I have is a Bolen(Taran now) 7mm base pad. With Dawson follower and 140mm spring it held 17 reloadable rounds. The Grams 2.5mm,4mm and 11mm would not fit with the 126mm tube and grip. A Dawson Wedge base pad will work on the 126mm. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Not one of the base pads that add rounds that I tried would fit with these magwells-Cameron, Dawson Ice or a factory STI. Without the magwell I tried a couple but the one that fit that I have is a Bolen(Taran now) 7mm base pad. With Dawson follower and 140mm spring it held 17 reloadable rounds. The Grams 2.5mm,4mm and 11mm would not fit with the 126mm tube and grip. A Dawson Wedge base pad will work on the 126mm. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Awesome thanks a lot. I'll have to do some thinking on this. What is the most unobtrusive magwell out there I wonder. I'm coming from production so I'm used to "threading the needle", I'm thinking I don't really need a huge magwell performance wise if that'll help my search.

Just to reiterate - the Grams pads with 126mm mags don't fit in the gun with or without a magwell?

Lim10 would probably be fun for a bit to get classified in.

The main reason I want out of production is I feel choosing a production gun is such a compromise and I want to be able to modify whatever I want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Forgetful

I used to use my short STI mags for practice, chrono, etc. they do come in handy. You could always sell them, somebody will buy them

If you decide to sell them I'd say list them were IDPA shooters will see them. I see several STI guns at the monthly matches around here.

Just a suggestion try the Dawson Para base pads. I use them on my very old short STI mags for 9mm/38SC, & get 5 extra rounds, also use Grams guts. Buy one and try it. My mags fit the guage, and no problem with the magwell. The Para base pads do not recess the mag tube, the mag tube attachment lip attaches to the top of the Para base pad.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I just bought my first 2011 that came with 4 126mm and am moving up to limited from production so it's a big change.

Look like my best plan is to sell a few/trade for 140s so I can at least start out with 20 rounds. And there's the whole magwell issue with grams base pads (which I already have).