Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping a pistol to NY for repair..

Ssanders224

Guys,

I need to ship my Limited gun to the original builer for repairs, and he is located in NY.

I just wanted to make sure there are no unique or special requirements for New York before I box it up

Thanks.

In addition to legal requirements, you might want to give them a day or two before shipping anything to the East Coast. Even if your smith isn't in an area getting hit by Sandy, the shippers are al going to be running behind, and there's a better chance for packages to get delayed or lost during a big storm.

BB

Guys,

I need to ship my Limited gun to the original builer for repairs, and he is located in NY.

I just wanted to make sure there are no unique or special requirements for New York before I box it up

Thanks.

In addition to legal requirements, you might want to give them a day or two before shipping anything to the East Coast. Even if your smith isn't in an area getting hit by Sandy, the shippers are al going to be running behind, and there's a better chance for packages to get delayed or lost during a big storm.

BB

Thanks, I hadnt really taken that into consideration.

Can anyone comment on the legal requirements? Just trying to cover all my bases.

I live in NY and I'm not sure this is for all states or not but you have one requirement... or two..

1. Must Overnight Ship (Big bucks :(

2. MUST not use USPS and instead Fedex or UPS. Regular mail shipping is a BIG nono..

That's it.

Note: I have shipped once and did it overnight but used USPS because I hadn't known the law. In other words it's at your own risk how you ship. As long as the package doesn't look suspicious and they don't think anything funky being that it's about the shape of a pistol and may be shipped to a gun dealership address, or the package gets damaged and revealed somehow (slim chance) then you'll be fine. But again, it's at your own risk. I think GansGuns says the same thing about how you want him to ship it to you.

Edited by ChrisG164

I live in NY and I'm not sure this is for all states or not but you have one requirement... or two..

2. MUST not use USPS and instead Fedex or UPS. Regular mail shipping is a BIG nono..

That's it.

Note: I have shipped once and did it overnight but used USPS because I hadn't known the law. In other words it's at your own risk how you ship. As long as the package doesn't look suspicious and they don't think anything funky being that it's about the shape of a pistol and may be shipped to a gun dealership address, or the package gets damaged and revealed somehow (slim chance) then you'll be fine. But again, it's at your own risk. I think GansGuns says the same thing about how you want him to ship it to you.

Ok, thanks.

I was told 2nd day air was sufficient, but maybe not?

That's it.

Ok, thanks.

I was told 2nd day air was sufficient, but maybe not?

That I can neither confirm nor deny :-/ Chk on that, it may be sufficient. I was told overnight

If you take the gun apart ie. slide off, barrel, recoil apparatus, you can tell UPS it's "warranty machine parts" and ship it any way you want. I would not ship a gun USPS.

Read the terms and conditions carefully. I don't believe that's the case.

Per ATF it is a Felony to not inform UPS/Fedex you are shipping a firearm.

478.31(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title27/27-2.0.1.2.3.html#27:2.0.1.2.3.3.1.13