Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Erik,

Moving a safe is easy. All you have to do is wink at a bunch of strong, testosterone-enhanced males and say, "Oohh! This thing is sooo heavy." Poof! The safe magically moves from the truck to your house or vice versa. ;)

That's how I get those things done, anyway.

Alternately, you can use the universal all-calls for help. "Free Food!" or "Free Beer!" They seem to work well.

Liota

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, the jaws of life could be used to lift it... or air bags...

atruck750.gif

AND

wide.gif

With a couple extra people to help, and a rental truck with a lift gate, you are all set.

I have moved safes for friends and use the 4 wheel dolly. With pads, straps, and bodies, they can be loaded onto a pickup.

• 1 year later...

When the movers moved my safe in to our new house, which has wall to wall carpet, they set it down on a heavy duty drop cloth --- not plastic, fabric --- and proceeded to just slide it over the carpet, with one guy pulling and a couple of more doing pushing/counterbalancing.....

The dropcloth may be the ticket. If your safe is like mine, the bottom is unpainted, so if you skid it across the carpet, you may leave a rusty trail along the way. Another option would be the dowels and a couple of 1/2" sheets of plywood to provide a good surface to roll on. Moving safes is a lot easier than people make it out to be.

Mik

Your movers were stronger than they were smart... :P

Hmmm, no --- the crew leader, who moved the safe all four days, was pretty bright. I had a lot of time to talk with him, since they moved us out of the old house in January, back in in February, when our buyers mortgage totally collapsed, and then out and across the river in May......

• 3 weeks later...

There is a HUGE variance in weight when one says "safe". A gun safe can weigh from a few hundred lbs, to about 1500lbs for a nice one still in the "gun safe" category, or over 3,000 lbs if you get a TL30 rated safe like the high end AMSEC. Some fo the advice given may not be applicable to the higher weight ends of the spectrum - particularly for units with non-removeable doors.

Also, if there is ANY chance you will subject the safe to an impact you should take the panel off the interior of the door and disable the relockers - or move with the safe unlocked.

And, if one of these puppies starts to fall over DONT TRY TO CATCH IT.