Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A scope mount

dshooter3

I am working up a load for a M1A to shoot in a outlaw 3 gun match. I plan on shooting irons but need to mount a scope to work up loads. If anyone has a mount that do not need and would like to sell cheep please let me know.Tthank you

I am with Dan on this being a great mount (if you want more in the way of permanency) but a little too much effort for the Iron sight shooter doing load development.

The Bassett Machine mount is probably better suited to your task.

I picked up one of these. It works extremely well, an there has been absolutley no functioning issues with it. Not a mark from brass on it. You do have to pull the rear sight off though, but it's mounting is why it's solid.

http://www.m14.ca/M1...cope_Mount.html

Things may have changed since I last scoped an M14, but I tried everything under the sun (including glass bedding them to the side of the receiver!) to keep mounts from loosening and losing zero. I finally settled on the Brookfield (now Sadlak) and later the ARMS #18 when I decided the Brookfield was too high.

These two hold zero like they're welded to the receiver but getting them on and off is a pain.

I have this one - http://swfa.com/ARMS-18-M14M1A-Scope-Mount-P160.aspx that I'd probably sell if you're interested. I retired my M14s and it's just sitting. $135 shipped.

Mark

I thought about that, P.E. but a wobbly mount does no one any good. My luck with the more conveniently attached rigs has not been good. Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice, I guess! :D

Cheers

Mark

I thought about that, P.E. but a wobbly mount does no one any good. My luck with the more conveniently attached rigs has not been good. Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice, I guess! :D

Cheers

Mark

I use one in the same manner as the OP plans to use his (load development) and mine works fine on 6 different SAI rifles.

I would feel very bad if I recommended something that didn't work.

So, if you would. please share your less than happy experience with the Bassett Machine mount.

No experience with Bassett whatsoever - it's something that's come about after my trials and I hope it works for the OP wonderfully. Mounts utilizing the same technology that I HAVE tried proved disappointing.

Good luck to you, to the OP and to Bassett.

Mark

For what you want it for (load development) I would buy the unit from Basset Machine. One screw, no muss no fuss. Oh and it works!

Pat,

Do you use a cheek piece with that or does your stock have an adjustable cheek rest that can get you a good cheek weld. (maybe I saw that in a picture of your gun somewhere?).

Hate to get up topic but what kinda of grease are you using Pat? You can see it in the photo or do you just believe in putting alot of grease on the gun. I only had my M1A Loaded for a bit but I am trying to make sure I clean, and lube it properly.

The military did some studies on lubrication... More never reduces reliability.

And to the question...White Lithium grease on everything that moves except the trigger pivot points. There 3 in 1 oil.

I grease the bolt lugs, roller, cam slot, Op rod slot, guide and spring, hammer sear. Rear sight workings.

Hell I put a dab on the trigger guard hooks to ease clamping. Oh and don't forget to dab the junction of the stock ferrule

and the front band. (helps to maintain zero)

dshooter3,

For years guys have tried to get a reliable mount for the M-1A rifle that does not work loose or otherwise fail due to the high recoil forces.

NONE have worked....even the much vaunted Brookfield mount fails after time/# of rounds fired. The weapon just was never intended to be a "sniper" rifle but for many years many guys (myself included) have tried to slam a round peg into a square hole.

LRB Arms has a one piece receiver where the scope mount is part of the receiver.

Seems like it would work well but I don't have the desire to wrestle anymore with trying to make an infantry rifle into the same as my bolt gun....thats why I own a bolt gun. However the scope itself would be subjected to the same amount of force with the LRB receiver as with other receivers.

My advice if you absolutely HAVE to do this is to contact Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender and ask their advice on this issue. Also contact George Gardner at GA Precision and ask him about it.

I'll bet that George tells you to stop wasting your time and $ and just buy an GAP-10 and use your M-1A for iron sight NRA Highpower competitions.

JK

dshooter3, try any of the above mentioned mounts and I'm sure you'll get what you need it for, load development before you shoot your irons. I like the ARMS 18 mount because it has three points of contact. The one Pat mentioned looks fine as well for your intended purpose and would be easier on and off. You wouldn't even have to call Nightforce or Schmidt and Bender. Good luck.