Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match yesterday...

tripleryder

Yesterday I shot my first USPSA match with the Eastern Washington Practical Shooters Association at Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facilites in Benton City, WA.

...and I'm addicted.

Shot a bone stock M&P 40 full size in Limited.

Scored about 240 points. Not too shabby, in my opinion. Largest errors were two targets I overlooked on one stage due to poor planning (missed opportunity for 20 more points, plus penalty for procedural) and I moved before the buzzer on one stage (another procedural)

Fired exactly 150 rounds total.

Overall, I was pretty accurate and fast, but can definitely improve. I think I am going to get a fiber optic front sight, and practice fast target transitions.

Also, adding some grip tape and working on consistent grip, as I did notice a bit of bouncing around.

Also, it took me about 25 rds to clear the texas star, lol.

Great, safe, fun was had by all, and made some new friends!

Questions:

1. How many more points could I have gotten without the 3 procedurals? (assuming I had 2 A hits on both targets)
  2. When do you decide to fire a thrid or even fourth shot on a target? I didn't learn until the last stage that it was the best two hits on a target, not necessarily the first two. Obviously it takes more time, but how much time is worth sacrificing if you can change a C or D to an A?

Gonna try to make it to another one in Yakima on the 28th.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this was my first ever shooting competition of any sort, and I have no formal training.

Edited by tripleryder

idealy for more than 2 shots you should practice what people call "Calling Shots" which is knowing where your bullet hit. So if you pull the trigger and you see that you were in the D zone or missed when the shot broke you should instantly fire a makeup shot, if allowed. Work on the "shot calling"

Well, you have come to the right place for information. :cheers:

I too shot in my first full match yesterday in Sherwood Oregon.

I dropped points on a weak hand Stage, and hit a couple "No Shoots" Overall I just tried to take my time and focus on watching the safety rules.

I also found out that I am cross-eyed dominant and was using my right eye to line up the shots, which explains most of my misses at distance.

I had a great time, and met some great people. I am looking forward to next month.

And typically the Procedural will take off 10 points

rg

[*]How many more points could I have gotten without the 3 procedurals?

[*]When do you decide to fire a thrid or even fourth shot on a target?

[

Glad you enjoyed it - it's addictive :devil:

Better to learn to shoot at all the targets than try to determine how many

more points you would have received if you didn't forget to shoot 3 targets.

But, it's 15 points per target - that adds up fast. Slow down a bit, and

hit them all :rolleyes:

2. as someone already said - if you know you missed a target, best to fire

a third shot quickly - if you're shooting major (.40), I'd forget for now

turning a D into an A

Anyone tell you to start shooting a Texas Star from the top - it won't spin

as much as if you start from the bottom - watch the experts shoot them - only

takes 5 - 6 shots, if done correctly.

Go a little slower next time, and you'll "speed up" and get better hits.

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

idealy for more than 2 shots you should practice what people call "Calling Shots" which is knowing where your bullet hit. So if you pull the trigger and you see that you were in the D zone or missed when the shot broke you should instantly fire a makeup shot, if allowed. Work on the "shot calling"

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, when you call your shot, and know that you got, say, a D hit, (3 pts) and could change it to an A hit (5 pts). How many seconds are 2 extra points worth sacrificing?

[*]How many more points could I have gotten without the 3 procedurals?

[*]When do you decide to fire a thrid or even fourth shot on a target?

[

Glad you enjoyed it - it's addictive :devil:

Better to learn to shoot at all the targets than try to determine how many

more points you would have received if you didn't forget to shoot 3 targets.

But, it's 15 points per target - that adds up fast. Slow down a bit, and

hit them all :rolleyes:

Go a little slower next time, and you'll "speed up" and get better hits.

:cheers:

So take my score of 240.

If I wouldn't have had the procedural for moving before buzzer, it becomes 250.

If I would not have overlooked 2 paper targets (15 pt each?) that becomes 280. Plus, the hit points (assuming 2A each), becomes 300.

Is that correct?

You would have the 300 points, but your score is

the 300 divided by your time ... So, if you got

the 250 in 25 seconds, your score would have been

If you shot the full 300 points in 30 seconds (took

5 extra seconds to shoot the extra points), your

score would still be 10.0 :surprise:

You have to shoot the extra points pretty quick

to make them worth it. :cheers:

I got hooked shooting my issue bone stock G22 and a duty rig... 10 yrs later now I'm hooked deeper than ever. for your gun a FO front sight, Apex trigger parts and a magwell will help alot. next step is getting a reloader as once you get hooked your ammo consumption will increase big time haha. a Dillon Square Deal/550/650 will pay for itself in no time. My major match loads cost me about $8.20/50, and thats with jhps and expensive Vihtavuori powder. I'd highly recommend a training class at some point, for me living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean its a bit more complicated to make it to a class but for you guys in the CONUS its way easier. One of these days I'll sacrifice going to a major and go to a training class instead. good luck

I got hooked shooting my issue bone stock G22 and a duty rig... 10 yrs later now I'm hooked deeper than ever. for your gun a FO front sight, Apex trigger parts and a magwell will help alot. next step is getting a reloader as once you get hooked your ammo consumption will increase big time haha. a Dillon Square Deal/550/650 will pay for itself in no time. My major match loads cost me about $8.20/50, and thats with jhps and expensive Vihtavuori powder. I'd highly recommend a training class at some point, for me living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean its a bit more complicated to make it to a class but for you guys in the CONUS its way easier. One of these days I'll sacrifice going to a major and go to a training class instead. good luck

Yeah, a reloader is on my list also... Probably split it with a buddy so we can both use it and cut costs

Glad you enjoyed your first match. Im fairly new to uspsa as well but i can tell ya...fiber front and plain rear sights are great, i got a warren setup and i love it. Also grip tape helps alot. I started out with it on the front of the grip and the backstrap (m&p) but ended up removing the back all together.

If your gonna put some on the back i advise leaving a blank spot near the top of the grip so that when u go to draw, the web of your hand dosnt stick wherever u land it. Its nice to have that little smooth spot so your hand can slide up under the beaver tail without being restricted. Ymmv.

I'm glad you enjoyed the match an I'm glad you are addicted.

But something is askew with the math on your procedurals. If you forget to engage a target that is a ten point procedural PLUS 20 points in miss penalties. An FTE costs you 30 points per target. If you had initially engaged those targets or made the two shots up and got two alphas that would have been 10 points to the good instead of 30 in the hole.

• 4 weeks later...