Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady bullet feeder

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory, i've been trying to tell everyone, it just takes some tinkering, just like my race car.

If you save a few bucks on one hobby, you have a few bucks for another hobby.

Grumpy, I'm also into race cars. Have to balance the spending between the two. Plus if your into racing, your automatically a tinkerer.

Rory, so true I've been racing my original 62 Corvette for over 45 years and love making a junkyard small block motor sing.

Anybody with more money than brains can buy the best, but it takes a tinkerer to get the most out of nothing. End results,

a great ride down the 1/4 mile...

What kind of car do you have Rory?

So heres the dillema I have now. I really like the Hornady Bullet Feeder because of its price point and the fact that it works. I know some users hate it and wish they didnt buy it. Well, from what I have read the same goes for Mr Bullet Feeder.

I need a Bullet Feeder that will feed both pistol and rifle.

The Hornady does NOT feed rifle bullets, even though their website says its in the near future. THat can mean next year for all we know

Mr Bullet Feeder does have a rifle feeder, but damn, Im looking at $470 for the feeder + $150 for the conversion (to load a different caliber)

So heres the dillema I have now. I really like the Hornady Bullet Feeder because of its price point and the fact that it works. I know some users hate it and wish they didnt buy it. Well, from what I have read the same goes for Mr Bullet Feeder.

I need a Bullet Feeder that will feed both pistol and rifle.

The Hornady does NOT feed rifle bullets, even though their website says its in the near future. THat can mean next year for all we know

Mr Bullet Feeder does have a rifle feeder, but damn, Im looking at $470 for the feeder + $150 for the conversion (to load a different caliber)

I will say this much, I installed my SECOND Mr. Bullet Feeder on my 2nd press last week. It just works. It is quiet, and I have yet to have a problem. I highly recommend this item. There is one downside, once I had the first MBF, I absolutely hated using the press without one.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally bit the bullet and got the Hornady bullet feeder. I know what people mean by it is so loud. I just couldnt see spending alot on the Dynamat that I had suggested below. I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought http://3mcollision.c...pads-08840.html

It was about $17.00 and I have more than half of it left over. This shit works!! I lined the outside of the bullet holder and also underneath the rotating disk .

I was able to get the feeder to dump out an average of 40 bullets per minute. I dont think Ill be able to out feed the feeder.

Can anyone answer my above post on the spring tube?

I see alot of people have the Hornady Bullet Feeder and complain that it makes ALOT of noise, but the unit does do its job. Well, I can respect the noise part and how that will get old real quick since the unit runs all the time.

I came across a sound dampening material called "Dynamat." They sell it at any Custom Car Audio place. I wasnt a believer on how well it worked, but after listening to a cars custom bass blaring with and with out the Dynamat, I believe it will work for the Hornady Bullet Feeder. You cut it to size, tear off the plastic film and stick it on the outside of the hopper.

I dont have a buller feeder, but I am thinking of getting one. If anyone gets ahold of thie stuff and applies it to the buller feeder, please post here and let us know how well it works.

Heres a link to it, yes it is expensive. But remember, you only need enough to cover a small hopper, not a car door (http://www.eastwood....t-12-sq-ft.html)

Edited by Franco79

Holy shit! That is some tuff steel that the spring is made out of. I had a cheapo pair of wire cutters that didnt do the job. Had to get a real pair LOL

Yes you can cut the spring tube. I had to cut all three of my springs.

I have Hornady and MBF.

I dont care what anybody says..they all make noise.

The Hornady is jam up for pistol and can't be beat.

You just have to set correct basket angle for your bullet weights.

And if you get UPSIDE DOWN BULLETS ITS YOUR FAULT.

SET YOUR SWEEPERS CORRECTLY.

A rifle adapter is suppose to be ready toward end of this year

according to the tech. I talked to.

Dollar for dollar can't beat the Hornady.

• 3 months later...

thanks guys for the input now there way to color coats lead bullets and i think they eliminate the lead bullet feeder problem

here the link to color coating lead bullets

this guy is great with so many reviews

• 3 months later...

I love this bullet feeder! It has worked perfect for 10,000's of rounds. In my 9mm setup, I use PTX with the powder measure and combo seat/crimp die. I have the powder cop on station 4 and can visually inspect the case easy befor it moves into the bullet seater. Only issue I had was because of the tight fit of the powder measure in station 3, the arm of the measure lightly brushes the metal tube on the upstroke and was lifting the tube up out of the seater die. Solution was a small piece of metal tape holding the tube in place on the die.

...Only issue I had was because of the tight fit of the powder measure in station 3, the arm of the measure lightly brushes the metal tube on the upstroke and was lifting the tube up out of the seater die. Solution was a small piece of metal tape holding the tube in place on the die.

Why not adjust the position of the powder measure by the fraction of angle required, so that there is no contact? Station 3 is wide open, station 2 next to the primer feed tube is tight.

Hornady needs to call Dillon and ask Dillon where they get their motors. The Hornady motors are HORRIBLY loud, they can be heard above the cases rattling against each other in the case feeder. Dillon on the other hand, if there's no cases in the feeder, you wouldn't know it's on.

...Only issue I had was because of the tight fit of the powder measure in station 3, the arm of the measure lightly brushes the metal tube on the upstroke and was lifting the tube up out of the seater die. Solution was a small piece of metal tape holding the tube in place on the die.

Why not adjust the position of the powder measure by the fraction of angle required, so that there is no contact? Station 3 is wide open, station 2 next to the primer feed tube is tight.

I think I tried every adjustment. The powder linkage just barely brushes the tube by less than a RCH. If I didn't have the tape, it would take a 1000 rnds before it would lift the tube up enough before it would cause a functioning problem.

Personally, noise of the motor doesn't bother me, the crashing of the bullets is just as loud and it drounds the motor noise out. Plus, if you fill the tube all the way, it holds about 50 bullets or so. For me , in a session, I only have to turn motor on a few times, usually while I fill the primer tube. Plus, I usually have to take a pi$$ break or get a coffee refill at that point so I just turn the BF on and when I get back the tube is filled again. No big deal.

I have Hornady and MBF.

You are spot on. IMO most of the Hornady problems are human adjustment related. When I first got this press I was ready to give it up, however, the good folks at Hornady customer service walked me through every adjustment I needed to get it to purr perfectly. The bullet feeder is the one piece that needed little tinkering after initial set up. Why someone would spend double for something else baffles me.

I have Hornady and MBF.

You are spot on. IMO most of the Hornady problems are human adjustment related. When I first got this press I was ready to give it up, however, the good folks at Hornady customer service walked me through every adjustment I needed to get it to purr perfectly. The bullet feeder is the one piece that needed little tinkering after initial set up. Why someone would spend double for something else baffles me.

After 18 months with the Hornady, I can tell you there's more issues than human adjustment.