Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make a DUMMY round?

jogan

I've read through the site after searching a few times and still have a few questions. If I decide to make a dummy round for dry firing, should I leave an old, spent primer in the case for the firing pin to contact? I plan on drilling a hole through the brass to be able to visually check that there's nothing but air behind the bullet, but I don't know about the primer. I read that an old eraser off a pencil will do the trick. I'm shooting a stock XDM40 so do I need something for the firing pin to strike? I could make this dummy round in a few seconds on my press so if it's something this simple, I figure I'll try it! Thanks for any help.

eraser works or a blob of RTV or hot melt glue (can remelt when it gets used up) no projectile just resize the case or just buy some of the red plastic ones with the primer on a spring.

Most will say modern guns don't need snap caps,.. I view it as a cheap insurance

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

i been using a dummy round without primer so i can visually confirm it is just a dummy .. I use white case brass so I can distinguish it better plus I use different colored bullet head than I normally load live rounds.. I dont really chamber them in and press the trigger, my purpose is just to dry fire / draw / change mag with those added weight which I though closely realistic when actually doing those process. hope this will help

Load the round as normal, leaving out powder and the spent primer. Then take a trip to the hardware store, go to the plumbing section. Look for replacement o-rings for larger valves. They are usually in the little drawers near the faucet repair supplies. Find an o-ring that when cut in two has a diameter that pretty much fills the primer pocket. Cut the o-ring about an 1/8th of an inch longer than the primer pocket, fill the primer pocket with super glue gel (after cleaning it well), insert the piece of o-ring, wait for it to dry, then use a razor blade to trim it off flush with the case. The o-ring piece will stand up to thousands of snaps and is easy to replace even if it does wear out. I've never had one fail. It's also a good idea to mark the round as a dummy somehow or other.

My dummy rounds are used only inside the magazine for realistic weight and resistance to seating the magazine.

This.

Almost ten years ago I purchase dummy rounds at an outrageous price, but that was before I owned a reloading press. My dummies are sent through my press without a primer or powder obviously, and I color them just for extra notation. They are only chambered when I am practicing unloaded starts. The key is that they are the only "ammo" that gets placed in my 3 dryfire only mags. Those mags never come near any real ammo.

With a Glock, I never worried about damaging the firing pin.

With my CZ, I placed a small o-ring around the firing pin where the hammer strikes it to avoid the natural wear that ensues. You can find pix of this in my range diary.

If you are going to chamber your dummy round from the magazine repeatedly, it will quickly become deformed and the projectile pushed into the case.

Use a FMJ projectile. Put a piece of dowel (Cut from a pencil) the right length to support the projectile into the case before seating.

Another way is to clean the case and projectile with a solvent. Put some epoxy into the case enought that it will flow and support the projectle, seat the projectile and leave the round nose down in a tray to let the epoxy run around the base of the projectile.

If you are drilling a hole in the side of the case, do it after the bullet is seated as the case is easier to hold and the case less likely to deform.

Peter

My dummy rounds are used only inside the magazine for realistic weight and resistance to seating the magazine. I never chamber them. Cheap led bullets without primers.

agreed. I made some using nickel cases to prevent ever mixing them up with anything else. I don't reload nickel.

My dummy rounds are used only inside the magazine for realistic weight and resistance to seating the magazine.

This.

Almost ten years ago I purchase dummy rounds at an outrageous price, but that was before I owned a reloading press. My dummies are sent through my press without a primer or powder obviously, and I color them just for extra notation. They are only chambered when I am practicing unloaded starts. The key is that they are the only "ammo" that gets placed in my 3 dryfire only mags. Those mags never come near any real ammo.

With a Glock, I never worried about damaging the firing pin.

With my CZ, I placed a small o-ring around the firing pin where the hammer strikes it to avoid the natural wear that ensues. You can find pix of this in my range diary.

This reminds me that I traveled half way across the Country to meet my first USPSA Master.........And I'll never forget the next-door neighbor feel that the Enos Forums gave me when I had a drink with Micah. :cheers:

This forum and USPSA has a way of crossing boundaries....