Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Journey To Getting Started In 3-Gun

Not planning to shoot my 1st 3 gun match until spring. I shoot USPSA so I have my pistol gear and just bought an AR. I was wondering about my shotgun. I have a Remington 1100 semi-auto 28" bbl with interchangeable chokes. Will this work or should I consider a different shotgun for 3 gun?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wanting to get started soon but the biggest hurdle for me right now is the shotgun. I'm in the middle of building my rifle right now and am about to spend a good deal of disposable income on the final parts and optics. I can't foresee being able to drop $1500 on a benelli m2 anytime soon. Do any of you guys have any strong feeling against getting my feet wet with my 870 8+1 to begin with? Obviously it would slow me down a quite a bit, but it would by no means cost me a match or anything early on. haha. I've heard two theories on getting started. 1)

I wanted to have the right gear first to make it an enjoyable experience from the start. I'm glad I invested in good gear to begin. My first match was a non-stressful experience and all my gear ran great. Some other beginners like me at the match didn't have the right gear for the game and it was obvious they were frustrated.

2) Use what you have as long as it's reliable, allowed, and appropriate BECAUSE it will be a while before your skill surpasses the limitations created by your equipment. This would quite certainly apply to my.

I have an M2 and got a Moss JM Pro for $599 + tax Oct/2012. I got the JM Pro as a back up. After using it and running everything from dove loads to 1oz slugs @ 1560 fps without a single jam or FTF. It may move to #1, depending on the event. PLUS, it's Made in AMERICA ! Yep, I left the Made in America sticker on it.

Glad to hear ya'lls experience. I am thinking of giving it a try the first of the year, as I heard there will be 3-Gun at Frostproof, Fl. I have a M&P 40, my old patrol rifle, but only a standard 870 that holds very few shells. I'm thinking I can grab a used 1100 and do a few things to it without great expense.

I'd spend 100 to get the 870 better rather than getting an 1100.

+1 I got started with an 870. Save your cash for the shotgun you want. Every time I buy something as a compromise it ends up getting replaced and costing more in the long run.

As soon as I can get my lift gate welded up on my SLP, I'll be joining the 3Gun ranks. Glock 34 already setup for Production, DPMS 3G1 with a little customization, and my SLP. However, I took my girlfriend to the Rock this summer and now I need an M&P, JM 930, and a custom built AR. (These are HER demands, not my excuses to buy new weapons...)

It's taken me about 2 years to get to this point, I can't believe I'm this close. I'm very excited!

Mac

Look around. At times we have Tac Rifle matches around here, which are just a chance to practice AR skills in an USPSA style setting. At times they have added a pistol\rifle stage so folks can practice both.

Cheers,

Allen

Yeah thats the problem that I have now I got a 930 and I can only have 6+1 in it cuz state law and I also like the saiga 12 but what im thinking is xdm 5•25 9mm and ar 15 for now wild I get the others..

My feeling is most people get the Saiga for its shell capacity and quick reloads. Having a mag on it would cut down on time a lot.

My wife has a XDM 4.5 in 9mm. I like it, and it works well, but I talked to a gunsmith about aftermarket triggers for it, and he said it was not a drop in install and the labor was nearly as expensive as the actual trigger. In fact, he did his best to talk me out of it. On the glock, it's as easy as knocking out a few pins, tugging the old trigger out, and dropping in a new one - no gunsmith needed.

Look at Powder River Precision out of Oregon. They have drop in trigger kits for the XDM, and videos online to walk you through it, it is not that difficult.

Sometime around June of 2011 I came across a tv show or article in American Rifleman, I can't remember, that talked about 3-Gun, a competitive sport that puts to use a pistol, rifle and shotgun. This seemed like a whole lot of fun after being a range fly and dabbling in IPSC just a little bit. So, I started researching the sport, media that covered it, the gear used and where I could go to shoot it.

After a little over a year, I finally accomplished my first major goal of participating in a 3-Gun match this past weekend in Okeechobee, Florida. I'll go through a little bit of what I learned along the way for anyone else who is where I was at the start.

Let me just start by saying 3-Gun is a gear-intensive sport. You can expect to spend about $5,000 to get started from scratch if you don't go overboard. That's not counting ammo which is expensive. Some will say just go do it and run what ya brung, and I could've done this, but I wanted to have the right gear first to make it an enjoyable experience from the start. I'm glad I invested in good gear to begin. My first match was a non-stressful experience and all my gear ran great. Some other beginners like me at the match didn't have the right gear for the game and it was obvious they were frustrated.

For pistol, I chose a Glock 34. Aftermarket pistol parts include a Vanek Classic drop in trigger and Warren rear and front fiber sights. My rifle is a Stag Arms 3G. I waited 10 weeks for it to come in after placing an order through my local gun shop (Pantera in Miami). On the rifle, I put a Burris MTAC 1-4x illuminated sight. This gun doesn't need anything else. Ignore the people who say to rip off the muzzle brake. When you're on the move or have support, it doesn't matter. My shotgun is a 24-inch Benelli M2 field with comfort stock. To the shotgun I added a Nordic Components + six-round magazine tube, the NC oversize bolt handle and bolt release button.

To carry all this good stuff I use a CR Speed double Velcro belt. Hanging off the belt are four BlackHawk pistol mag holders, a BlackHawk holster for the Glock, two AP Custom 4x4 shotgun shell carriers and one Safariland AR-15 mag pouch.

My "training" involved occasional range visits and going to my local USPSA matches as often as possible at Trail Glades range on Sundays. There, I could only use the pistol so after the matches I went next door to the skeet range and shot 3-4 rounds. Big thanks to Ralph for showing me the ropes of skeet. I spent a few weekends at the range with the rifle, but just to sight it in at 100 yards. Beyond that, I didn't have any time behind the rifle in tactical situations. I spent about 10 months doing that routine.

Doing some Google searches I found a monthly 3-Gun match at Okeechobee Shooting Sports. The next available match was Oct. 14, and I promptly registered to attend. I got to the range early for my first match to observe how people were prepping their gear. The match briefing was a little overwhelming, but we broke up into squads of five, each with an RO. That made stage briefings more manageable for a newbie.

The match was a blast! I made some mistakes that cost me time and fumbled my technique as could be expected, but my gear ran great. I couldn't be happier as a beginner with my firearm selection and accessories. Now, I'm totally hooked and can't wait for the next match in November. Although they're nothing to brag about, you can see videos of my first match on YouTube under the channel name pepperstonewood.

Are you where I was a year ago? Do you want to get into 3-Gun? Ask me a question. I'm sure we can learn from each other.

Heya Pepper, fellow South FL shooter here. sent ya pm.

Great write up! I've got my G34, and Noveske/JP rifle - now just trying to figure out a shotgun besides my two "play toys" - mossberg 500 with folding stock for home defense and a converted Saiga - both of which would look pretty silly out there... :)

Great info. Been researching 3 gun for the last few weeks. Found a place that has a match monthly, going to go watch in January. I need to pick up a shotgun and a new pistol to dedicate to 3 gun. Hopefully prices on non-AR stuff aren't through the roof...

Thanks!

Great info. Been researching 3 gun for the last few weeks. Found a place that has a match monthly, going to go watch in January. I need to pick up a shotgun and a new pistol to dedicate to 3 gun. Hopefully prices on non-AR stuff aren't through the roof...

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum HMM ! You are doing it right, like the OP did, by checking out a match and seeing what everyone is running before believing all the advertising hype.

I think by the end of Jan/Feb things will either be back to normal-ish or so far gone we will all be taking up sporting clays. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What about the ancillary gear? I shoot USPSA, and have the bare minimum holster and mag pouches. But what do I need for 3-gun? Don't want to show up with cargo pockets full of AR mags and shotshells in my front pockets.

Thanks,

B

In most cases, an AR mag in the back pocket is fine as you rarely relaod the ARs. Scope out what you have and what works with your gear and go form there. If you have to buy something, the Blade-Tech AR pouches are really good and not much coin.

Shotshells, you are probably going to want to see if you can borrow some stuff for the first match or two and see what the local stages are like and go from there. The simplest and fastest method to learn is the TWinS method of loading two at a time. You can practice some by stacking the shells on a bench at the range and just grabbging and loading. 3Gunners are generally great about loading out gear to newbies, so take full advantage. of that. I'd try to get in touch with the local MD and see what the round counts are as you might not need a ton of stuff, and see what he can loan you for the shotgun stages. Then watch everyone else and ask questions about gear. Research it all, buy the best and you will be happy. Buy marginal stuff and you won't.