Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rocky Mountain 3Gun Match

The hot weapon boxes are simply boxes that are designed to keep a hot weapon secure and pointed in a safe direction while the competitor transitions to another weapon. Two were used in our match. One for pistol and one for rifle.

The pistol box was angled down into the ground and partially buried. The dimensions were approximately 16x16x4 (We left both boxes down in NM, so I can't be precise). It was designed for the pistol to be placed in it flat with a hole for the muzzle. The grip can go either to the right or left - making it ambidexterous. It also included a lid that the shooter was required to close. It was desiged to accomodate any legal optic and magazine configuration that I could concieve of. The ground under the box was checked for rock, etc. for several inches down in the event that the weapon was accidentally discharged during insertion.

I won't go into the construction other than to say that they were composed predominately of 1/2" partical board and as cheaply as we dared. If the concept holds up, we will probably make more sturdy versions in the future.

The rifle box was designed to hold the rifle up and angle back in a manner that would keep the muzzle above head height. This way, a person could walk anywhere near the box and not be covered by the muzzle. It is 48" tall, wide enough for a Beta C and deep enough for a 40 round mag. It also included a lid that the shooter was required to close.

In both cases, the boxes were designed to retain the weapon even if the shooter failed to close the doors. Therefore, we issued only procedural penalties if they failed to do so. This only happened once on Stage 5. We also issued procedural penalties for failing to put the safety on. This never occured on Stage 5. Had a shooter placed the weapon in either box so that the muzzle was pointed in an unsafe direction, we would have issued a DQ. This would have required that the shooter put the rifle in muzzle down or the pistol shooter fail to place the muzzle in the hole provided. We did not have any cases of this. I understand that there were several procedurals issued for pistol box door/safety infractions, but I can't quantitfy them as I was not there.

Transitioning from one weapon to another is inherent to 3-gun competition. We feel that rapidly unloading a weapon is unsafe and tactically inane. It has cause a ridiculous number of DQs in some big matches. Our goal was to provide the shooters with a simple and safe way to transition to another weapon without interfering with the concept of the stage and without creating DQ traps.

Several shooters commented that they would like to see padding in the back of the rifle box. I have also heard of designs using padded barrels where long guns could be placed in muzzle down. I am somewhat opposed to both ideas as they would encourage the shooter to toss his weapon into the box. The current designs encourage the shooter to be careful. I'm certainly open to discussion, however.

Michael

Michael,

I see your point about the lack of padding preventing the speed toss. I also like that the pistol/shotgun stage (3) allowed the shooter the choice of the box, or re-holstering while hot.

That’s the right way to do it.

--

Regards,

Hello Mike,

What I thought was great about closing the lid on the boxes was the sign that stated loaded weapon, do not touch (or something like that).

I felt the way you guys handled discarding loaded weapons pretty much eliminated the need for an RO to hover over a loaded weapon while the competitor completed the COF.

I see can see where more padding could be nice......I didn't much see the need for it, but I was shooting iron....I guess that the optics could take a little beating. Just as long as there isn't so much padding that when Eddie Rhodes throws his rifle in, it does'nt bounce back out :D

Tim

Anything you'ld like to see next year?

Yes, more stages! Howsabout ten of those great stages instead of eight ;)

Ten stages :o !!! We would definitely need more volunteers. My legs are still feeling the "Hamburger Hill" effect after 3 days of ups and downs. I have to say that it was too much fun :D All shooters did a great job of weapon handling and maneuvering the slippery hill side.

Cheers Stew,

It was good to meet you too, I think I know why you were out of breath, it wasn't the altitude or the running around, it was because you were grinning when you should have been breathing ! :D

....and there was a lot to grin about. Like you said to me at the shootoffs 'its not about winning its about taking part and having fun that counts'. Wise words. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, but I hung out at Whittington for several days after the smoke cleared, and made some of my own, followed by the best week of dove hunting of my life in the Texas Panhandle. Man, they were flying!

The shooters, organizers, and sponsors, and ESPECIALLY the Wong Brothers and crew keeping us well-fed, make ROing the RM3G so much fun I'd almost pay to do it. (Relax, Blane, Eric, Jimmy, Michael, Kurt--I said ALMOST)

Michael, a slight correction: I did give one procedural for not having the pistol muzzle in the slot. Also a couple for safety not engaged, and maybe a half-dozen for not closing the lid. Fact is, I think every procedural on the stage related to the box of shame.

And I couldn't fail to mention Barry and Mike. You blokes absolutely renewed my respect for British manhood (at least I know there are two of you) :D .

See y'all next year, weiner-dog in tow (by the way, he was an absolute STUD finding down doves this year. Made 3 water retrieves--the last one BLIND!)

Take care.

Joe

Joe and Samson

It was good to see you guys again. My brother Joe and I always appreciate the RO's for their work over the years of shooting. We always made a point of saying Thank You. So Cooking for all of you is our pleasure. Just the best way for us to say thanks. Along with Jack and Ricky who made the Red sauce.

JP and his Family who also sponser the food cost plus the Rifle and all the other JP products.

With the wittington Center and the RM3- Guns crew. This has to be the best match!

Wish all of you good health.

Tommy Wong