Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pamphlet from American Psychological Assoc.

Jon Merricks

This pamphlet was sent home by the doctors office. Here is parts of it.

"Don't hit your children."

When I was young I wish my parents would have read this. But now I'm glad they didn't.

"Don't carry a gun or a weapon. If you do, this tells your children that using guns solves problems."

Those big, bad, ugly, mean guns do solve problems. I like to call it Self-preservation.

"Don't carry a gun or a weapon. If you do, this tells your children that using guns solves problems."

Unbelievable - who writes this drivel? What's their solution to violent crime?

Oh, that's right - "Do whatever the guy with the WEAPON tells you to do."

Excellent, nothing like teaching kids that being a victim is somehow preferable to defending themselves.

Yes, and that's JUST what criminals want us to do--fail to resist. I'm sorry, but what we need is a bold and empowered populace, willing to defend and be responsible for itself for once and for all. What's so frappin' complicated about THAT...??!!! :angry::angry:

I can see it now....Johnny the son of the local psychologist who is now in the 6th grade has been raised by NO HITTING parents and where going to Time Out is real punishment...where Bobby has Neanderthal parents who spanked and and wailed on their kids to make them behave....

Johnny and Bobby get into an arguement, and after school go out on the play ground to settle it...as it is about to get cranked up, Johnny has second thoughts about actually fighting someone and yells Time Out...which gives Bobby just enought time to beat the smithereens out of the NO HITTIN' puss, Johnny...got ta love an opportunist....Bobby. :P

A lot of phyisician/medical organizations, such as the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Public Health Association and the Physicians for Social Responsibility to name a few, wholeheartly support HCI, VPC and the other gun banning organizations. It was HCI who first suggested that the the medical groups distribute "firearm safety" literature to their patients.

I talk to families about guns. I tell them that, until they are SURE of their children mature enough (and only they can know that) to keep them locked up. I tell them to teach their kids how powerful guns are. I tell them that I recommend they teach their kids how to shoot, and that I prefer that to squirt guns and rubber band guns because of gun handling issues. I tell them I own guns, that I support the 2nd Amendment. I tell them I taught my son how to shoot, and he didn't turn into some sort of monster (though, honestly, he'd rather play with his GBA than shoot, oh well...). I tell them that and a lot more. It's an uphill battle.

Pediatrician with a Para

I get a little sick of the I know what's best for you just listen to me because I'm the expert type bullshit. If I take my kids to the doctor or dentist or whatever treat my kid for whatever is causing the illness and mind your own damn business. I don't tell you how to practice medicine, fix my car, etc. don't tell me how to raise my kids. God knows I got my ass kicked enough as a kid and I turned out ok. Shut up Nik! :P This country would be a lot better off if people would quit sticking there nose into their neighbors life.

Docs give advice. That's what they are supposed to do. That advice is supposed to be useful to the patient. Sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it actually is wrong. When I talk about guns I am trying to correct misconceptions about them that make people anti-gun. I would rather not let people believe that guns are intrinsically evil.

Most of the job of a pediatrician is to teaching. Families come asking for advice. I give it.

I do not endorse HCI's line of thinking, though many of my colleagues do. HCI would not approve of what I routinely teach on "firearm safety".

Docs give advice. That's what they are supposed to do. That advice is supposed to be useful to the patient. Sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it actually is wrong. When I talk about guns I am trying to correct misconceptions about them that make people anti-gun. I would rather not let people believe that guns are intrinsically evil.

Most of the job of a pediatrician is to teaching. Families come asking for advice. I give it.

I do not endorse HCI's line of thinking, though many of my colleagues do. HCI would not approve of what I routinely teach on "firearm safety".

Kevin,

you're obviously one of the good guys. I'm impressed that you're willing to talk frankly about the practical implications of guns in the house and child rearing with your patients' parents.

I'm gonna pick at Semantics here for a moment: Maybe it's the EMT training eons ago, maybe not, but I don't think doctor's are supposed to give advice. I go to the doctor because I need information, prescriptions, tests or treatments. Information is the really big one though --- I like doctors who give me a diagnosis and then tell me what my treatment options are, giving me enough information so that I can make an informed decision as to what's best for me. The fastest way to become my former doctor is to say "I'm going to do this to treat you," without providing me with info/discussion. Lecturing me about the evil of guns might run a close second....

God knows I got my ass kicked enough as a kid and I turned out ok. Shut up Nik! :P This country would be a lot better off if people would quit sticking there nose into their neighbors life.

Chriss,

You and O.K. in the same sentence? I actually think you set the bar a little low there ---- you might be better than o.k. --- even if you suggested I shut up.

Kevin,

I'll disagree with your idea. A doctor is there to treat illness and injury. You shouldn't have to correct any misconceptions people have about anything other than the very narrowly defined parameters of illness, injury and health. You wouldn't feel the need to correct this problem if others in your line of work stuck to what they know and kept their nose out of things that frankly are none of their damn concern. When I arrest some goof I don't tell them how to fix their car, bake a cake or any thing else. I stick to the law because that's what I get paid to do. The problem in today's world is everybody is an expert and wants to HELP their fellow man to see the world just like they do. Must have been nice to live a hundred years ago when people actually minded their own business.

Nik,

See you at the MASC.