Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9 frame/slide fit

Stan-O

So I've just got a slightly (about 200 rounds) used M&P Pro as I loved how it felt in hand at the range when I rented one.

Well, I'm pretty sure the rental either had a trigger work or had APEX parts installed as the trigger pull feels a bit different on mine, but what surprised me the most was the amount of play at the front of the slide -- it can literally go 2mm down closer to the frame and then bounces back. Is it supposed to be like that? Did I get a lemon?

PS. I'm also struggling with a grip on the gun -- it looks like there's not enough estate on the gun for the bottom of the weak hand palm. I've installed small backstrap and don't want to install anything larger as then I *really* have to brake my grip to reach the mag release button. I would have like the frontstrap on the grip actually. :)

Thanks!

Regarding the 2mm give:

Did you get a lemon?

Short answer:

No. Enjoy your fine choice in handguns.

Long answer:

When you squeeze the slide and frame together on guns with flush dust covers the recoil assembly or slide bottoms out on the frame before the slide bottoms out on the frame rails. Your M&P 5" slide extends nearly an inch past the frame, giving it more leverage.

Additionally, the front frame rails of your M&P are tapered for reliability, but that also gives a smidge more give.

And on top of that, M&P front frame rails are located farther away from the muzzle than other common models (full size Glock rails are about 3/4 of an inch farther forward), again giving you the impression that your M&P slide has more vertical slop than you're expecting.

For comparison, I just checked my M&P Pro 5" and had about 1.5mm of vertical give with 5x your round count. My M&P Compact with short slide and frame had less than 0.5mm of give, obviously due to the shorter slide, less slide overhang and proportionally farther apart frame rails.

As for the grip, that's a personal preference issue. But I think you're wrong about the larger grip inserts ruining your reach for the magazine release. With a proper firing hand grip putting the web of my hand high into the beavertail, my thumb rests above the entire grip insert. Your shooting hand grip should not shift farther around the gun when you add fatter backstraps, the web of your hand and your thumb should be in the same place regardless. The only change in your shooting hand is the shooting hand palm/wrist is pushed into a shallower angle and farther from the front of the grip insert.

And if for some reason you have a shooting technique that is affected by a larger bottom grip thickness, there are at least 2 magazines release extensions available.

Edited by KSwift

Thanks!

Regarding the 2mm give:

Did you get a lemon?

Short answer:

Whew. :) Makes me wonder tho -- is the barrel inside still parallel top line of the frame despite this gap? Does it affect the sighting in any way?

As for the grip, that's a personal preference issue. But I think you're wrong about the larger grip inserts ruining your reach for the magazine release. With a proper firing hand grip putting the web of my hand high into the beavertail, my thumb rests above the entire grip insert. Your shooting hand grip should not shift farther around the gun when you add fatter backstraps, the web of your hand and your thumb should be in the same place regardless. The only change in your shooting hand is the shooting hand palm/wrist is pushed into a shallower angle and farther from the front of the grip insert.

And if for some reason you have a shooting technique that is affected by a larger bottom grip thickness, there are at least 2 magazines release extensions available.

Actually, the large backstrap's top portion goes right where the web of the strong arm is, so it does affect the reach to the mag release button.

In the sticky thread here I've only seen one link to the extended button (at Costa's web-site I think) who else makes them? I presume they will not be Production legal, will they?

PS. I'm also struggling with a grip on the gun -- it looks like there's not enough estate on the gun for the bottom of the weak hand palm. I've installed small backstrap and don't want to install anything larger as then I *really* have to brake my grip to reach the mag release button. I would have like the frontstrap on the grip actually. :)

Thanks!

I know exactly what you mean. I have the same problem with my m&p and have been "fighting" the grip.. you can try some grip tape, something no too thing, I got 3M saftey walk and now I can get a better grip. I used to have the medium and small back strap but switching to the big helped me.

my slide at front has some play as well, to the left and right, like 1mm...

Well, I'm pretty sure the rental either had a trigger work or had APEX parts installed as the trigger pull feels a bit different on mine

The trigger does smooth up just with use as well. The rental gun may have seen quite a few rounds.

Eric

Again thanks for the feedback. It feels that with the large backstrap I can control the muzzle much better during the trigger pull so I guess I'll have to sacrifice the easy mag releases.

It's been more than 6 months since I've shot the rental M&P but as far as I can recollect it had less of the take up. I doubt they'd put an APEX FSS into a rental gun tho.

PS. If anyone knows about the other (not Costa's) extended mag release button for the M&P please do post.

• 3 weeks later...

Stan-O, try skate tape on the front of the grip. Its production legal and you can do it yourself. Just be sure to clean the area with alcohol first so it sticks well then put a couple of heavy duty rubber bands on it over night and you'll have no issues. I went to a skate shop and asked to see every grit they had. You should have seen the kids face with purple hair when I told him what it was for. The stuff you get at Lowes is too course. Don't worry about the play in your gun as long as it locks up the same every time which I'm sure it does.

Stan-O, try skate tape on the front of the grip. Its production legal and you can do it yourself. Just be sure to clean the area with alcohol first so it sticks well then put a couple of heavy duty rubber bands on it over night and you'll have no issues. I went to a skate shop and asked to see every grit they had. You should have seen the kids face with purple hair when I told him what it was for. The stuff you get at Lowes is too course. Don't worry about the play in your gun as long as it locks up the same every time which I'm sure it does.

And there is always this if you want it cut and preformed:

http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/M%26P.html

I'm right handed and chose to reverse the mag release. I now hit the mag release with my trigger finger. I find it significantly faster and experience little in the way of a shift of the gun in my hand. You might try this techinque, you might like it.

Take Care

Bob

Yeah, given how easy it is to flip the mag release I was thinking of doing the same. Have you had any issue at the matches as your index finger keeps lingering close to trigger if you reverse the mag release?

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the 2mm give:

Did you get a lemon?

Short answer:

Long answer:

When you squeeze the slide and frame together on guns with flush dust covers the recoil assembly or slide bottoms out on the frame before the slide bottoms out on the frame rails. Your M&P 5" slide extends nearly an inch past the frame, giving it more leverage.

Additionally, the front frame rails of your M&P are tapered for reliability, but that also gives a smidge more give.

And on top of that, M&P front frame rails are located farther away from the muzzle than other common models (full size Glock rails are about 3/4 of an inch farther forward), again giving you the impression that your M&P slide has more vertical slop than you're expecting.

For comparison, I just checked my M&P Pro 5" and had about 1.5mm of vertical give with 5x your round count. My M&P Compact with short slide and frame had less than 0.5mm of give, obviously due to the shorter slide, less slide overhang and proportionally farther apart frame rails.

beautifully explained

Well, I'm pretty sure the rental either had a trigger work or had APEX parts installed as the trigger pull feels a bit different on mine,

Nothing really to add on the frame to slide fit except to say that while mine isn't 1911-tight it doesn't flex THAT much.

Regarding the trigger though, keep in mind that a gun's trigger will generally improve with use as the parts wear in, and a range rental gun typically sees a lot of use. Most will have very well broken-in triggers.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm pretty sure the rental either had a trigger work or had APEX parts installed as the trigger pull feels a bit different on mine,

Nothing really to add on the frame to slide fit except to say that while mine isn't 1911-tight it doesn't flex THAT much.

Regarding the trigger though, keep in mind that a gun's trigger will generally improve with use as the parts wear in, and a range rental gun typically sees a lot of use. Most will have very well broken-in triggers.

This is true. I know a top-level shooter with close to 100,000 rounds through his 9L and the trigger is like a CZ in SA lol

The trigger reset on his gun is also roughly half the distance it is on my M&P.

Another +1 on reversing the mag release. I have a smaller hand and had to use both hands to get to the mag release. Now I use my middle finger on strong hand and keep the trigger finger where it belongs when not in the trigger. The RO's at my league just needed to know what I was doing, and they are just fine with it. Took a bunch of practice on the couch in front of a tv just to build up the muscle memory, but now it is second nature. Cant give enough +'s for the Apex trigger kit. Absolutley the best money spent on my 9FS.