Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave ...

short_round

Everytime someone is up on the podium and they play the Star Spangled Banner it hits you as you are standing there with your hand over your heart and mouthing the the words ...

The Olympics are good.

God Bless America.

Glory is forever.

Wish I would see one of them actually sing with the music...that would be really cool...

Almost every American I have seen win the Gold has at the very least mouthed the words. I can't say for sure, but I think it was at the womens gymnastic all around last night, that you could hear the croud singing the words if you listened close enough.

I especially like it when some of the swimmers take off the...what the heck do you call the thing they are giving to the winners to wear on their heads? Anyway, I like it that some of the swimmers take it off during the Star Spangled Banner. Someone taught them proper respect, and that is ALWAYS a good thing.

Remember..."Patriotism is NEVER out of style."

Airedale

Then you know what I mean when Armed Forces do a Pass & Review, and I hear the Washington Post march...they pass the reviewing stand and do that Eyes Right....damn, that is cool...makes me proud...

Tightloop

US54509247

Tightloop,

Yes I do. For the troops in the parade, it means thank God I can finally move and get some blood flowing. But when you make that final left turn and head for the reviewing stand, ramrod straight...yeah...it's cool.

US number? You are a few days older than me :D

I will say what really boils my behind is these singers who think they need to add wo wo and woo woo to the National Anthem. It is perfect as written and should be performed as such.

Sorry.....old soldier rant....rant mode off :rolleyes:

Have fun,

Dave

I'm with you...if they want to write their own song and add all that...great....but it is Perfect as it is..

Us old soldiers have to stick together...

Francis Scott Key didn't need any help writing it, so don't add your personal crap to it.... B)

Last night at the Wyoming State Fair Rodeo..... ( Yes, that's the annual state sponsored fair) The flag comes into the arena held high and flapping in the gentle breeze. A beautiful cowgirl on a beautiful Paint Horse rode Old Glory around in a big slow circle while a lone cowboy sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" acapella. All hats were off. Hands over hearts. Every eye on the flag.

Yeah, I teared up a bit. Many of us did. It's called pride.

Around here, we still start a rodeo with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag,(with all the words) the National Anthem, and a prayer for protection to our God.

You don't like that? OK. It's a free country.

So, you don't have to come to a rodeo in Wyoming. ;)

Couple of years ago three of us were heading East out of Yellowstone planning to head North towards the Bear Tooth when we got to Cody. It was about 8:00 PM when we got to Cody and the billboard said there was bull riding at the rodeo on Friday at 8:30. Had a great time, seats right over the chutes, and I think I saw the same gal with the flag! Got a little misty eyed when they played the Star Spangled Banner too.

Hi guys,

You would've had more than just one tear in your eye if you were present at the Level IV IPSC European Shotgun Championships held in Terni, Italy last year.

As each (fairly large) European team marched in behind their respective National flags, it was quite a moving experience to see the incredible national pride exhibited by officials, competitors and spectators alike, and there was incredible mutual respect shown by all, and for all.

However when BE Forum regular kurtm (the sole American competitor), marched in alone, carrying the Stars 'n' Stripes, while The Star Spangled Banner was played, he was given a long and rousing standing ovation.

Hell, I'm Australian and I was all choked up ..............

I've performed the National Anthem more times than I care to count. It always evoked a reaction with part of the crowd. However...

I had the pleasure, as I look back on it, to play with the Purdue University "All-American" Marching Band for two years. Our pre-game show was always the same (excepting the opponents fight song). Part of that show is America the Beautiful. While we play, our announcer, Roy Johnson, would recite "I Am An American". Hearing ~40,000 people, in unison and at the top of their lungs, yell "I Am An American" makes your knees quake. I have goosebumbs even thinking about it.

Supposedly the first show after the September 11th attacks was especially robust.

However when BE Forum regular kurtm (the sole American competitor), marched in alone, carrying the Stars 'n' Stripes, while The Star Spangled Banner was played, he was given a long and rousing standing ovation.

Wow! What I would have given up to see that...

Someday. In fact, someday soon.... ;)

I had the pleasure, as I look back on it, to play with the Purdue University "All-American" Marching Band for two years.

Being a die hard Buckeye fan, I would usually have some type of comment for one of the 'Little Ten'. However, in this case, I wish I was there and would have done my best to represent the Boilermakers..... ;)

(Hope you are well old buddy, and assume you are spending your life in FL for the immediate future.....)

BigDave

wish I could see and hear the students shout I am an American...why do cool things like that only happen in the down to earth schools, not like Harvard , Yale, lots of others, usually in big metro areas....it is a shame....more don't do something like that..

Wow! What I would have given up to see that...

BDH, I was there too and I can relate about that...

I was fearing the ceiling of the gym where the opening ceremony was being held would have fallen down, given the amount of cheers and applause the europeans gave to kurtm and the Stars 'n' Stripes flag.

I bet kurt was a bit astounded... :)

At the Michigan NASCAR Race on Sunday (Aug 22), Julie Roberts, an up and coming Country/Western singer (whose from my hometown) sang the National Anthem. Watching her, you notice that she keeps looking at the cue cards.

This morning on the local C/W radio station they were talking to her. She said she was SOOOO nervous cause thats the one song you hear all your life and you can't mess up in front of 140,000+ very patriotic fans and a national TV audience. She admitted that she had cue card to both the left and the right and the words written on her hand!

But she did a nice job.