Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

svi mag use for sti

infinity38s45

If they're the newer SVI mags, you may have to send them to someone that can tune them for you unless you have extensive knowledge on where the tubes need to be reshaped.

Edited by yoshidaex

Care to share what needs to be done other than mag catch hole?

Take the grip off the frame and see where the frame is hitting the mag relieve that portion of the frame. It does not take much. Don't mess with the hole as you can screw up the mags.

Pat

Care to share what needs to be done other than mag catch hole?

Take the grip off the frame and see where the frame is hitting the mag relieve that portion of the frame. It does not take much. Don't mess with the hole as you can screw up the mags.

Pat

What he said.

Do not open the hole up on the mag. That top ledge is a datum and if you cut it higher you are effectively lowering the height of the top round during cycling. If you like your bullets to nosedive into the feedramp then this is the mod for you.

For the same reason do not lower the height of the mag catch ledge. The top round will be presented at a lower height. This mod will also make your STI mags work sh!tty.

SVI frames have an additional clearance cut that can accommodate the thicker top of the SV signature mags. If you want to use the signature mags you’ll need to see where they hit the frame and then make a clearance cut on the frame. It’s easy to do and then your STI and SVI mags will all work to their full potential.

The signature mags do have a smaller hole though so you might want to modify the BOTTOM of the mag catch so it fits in better.

You might also have some interference in the grip itself since the SV mags are bigger, but the grip can be sanded on the inside for additional clearance.

Hmm never a nosedive here. And I run these mags in 5 different open guns.

My roommate opened the window and ruined 1 mag, he was lucky the others worked. I did not want to ruin a $180 SVI big stick so I called Grams and followed the experts advice. Your milage may vary.

pat

I was told the very newest SV mags will not even work in STI guns any longer. I modified some of the kind with "writing on the side" with no problems. However he indicated the latest ones from SV will no longer work at all....modified or not.