Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold dot front sight? WHY?

lugnut

• 4 weeks later...

Living in sunny California I rarely find myself shooting in overcast or gray days. With so much sunshine year round I have discovered I prefer all black front sights. If on a gun that points well it is the fastest for me. I also discovered after breaking a rod durring a match that running the FO rod through the front boss only and not the entire sight lowered the illumination such to allow the front sight to be located quickly without causing dispersion on the sight. Either way works well for me, but I prefer all black. I carry a can of sight black for those long shot stages on my guns that have FO. FO does serve well on hoser stages or with a gun that doesnt point perfectly for you.

I originally got a gold bead for my 627 .38 super because, to my eye, I found the f/o's too bright/distracting. And the gold bead provided just enough glint to find it quicker. Then I got fancy and put on a wider weigand rear sight. Problem was it covered a bit of the bottom of the gold bead. But my eye was so used to seeing the whole bead I would many times, unintentionally, push shots up to see the whole bead. So after realizing I couldn't remove enough out of the bottom of the rear sight to see all the bead, and frankly after reading all the input on this thread, and caving to the fact that so many others had gone with the f/o, I ordered one from Warren at Protocoll. I like it. It has a 1 mm fiber so it's not too "bright". Seems to work well. So just one more excuse i've lost to explain any future bad match performance...

• 2 weeks later...

Low light is what originally got me to put on the gold bead. In an outdoor night match I used to shoot, on the outside edges of the bays it was pretty dark. But the gold bead would glint enough to see whereas my stock black front sight became a shadow.

I thought gold beads were created for low light situations, before tritium sights were in use ?

And S&W puts them on some of their PC guns, cause it seems they think Revolver Innovations ceased with Ed McGivern.