Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Success!

jogan

Thanks to everyone on this site, I was able to reload for the first time and everything worked out! Got a good deal on a used Square Deal. Drove 35mins to the local Bass Pro Shops and loaded up my basket with everything I'd need to start reloading. Spent about 2 weeks reading as much information on this site as I could as well as researching load data for my caliber. Plus the gentleman that sold me his loader was very helpful in getting me started on the right foot. I was a little hesitant since I was limited to only a few powders to choose from and only one bullet and no one seemed to use this powder (Hodgdon's HS-6). When I finally make an order online, I'll switch to the VV320 as that seems to be the favorite. As of now, I've got this setup:

Hornady XTP 180

HS-6 6.2grs

cci small primer

O.A.L. is 1.125

This is going through a box stock XDM40 with the 4.5" barrel.

I'm trying to find out the pros and cons of a heavier bullet compared to a lighter one. Seems the lighter bullets require MORE powder than the heavier ones. I would have thought it the other way. As of now, I'm not reloading to make a certain power factor. I'm just trying to save some $$$ and have some fun at the same time!

Cool. The gentleman I bought the reloader from has a chono as well as another shooting buddy who also reloads. Both have offered the use of it. According to Hodgdon's site, I should be just over 880fps with around 26,000 psi. Is there a "sweet spot" that my gun is looking for? XDM40 w/4.5" barrel.

....Is there a "sweet spot" that my gun is looking for? XDM40 w/4.5" barrel.

That will depend on YOUR gun/barrel. Even two guns of the same make/model will "like" different things.

Most people on this forum will try to load 180 gr bullets out to about 944-972 fps, that gives us a power factor of 170-175 (above the 165 minimum for Major power factor).

Regarding lighter bullets "needing" more powder... it's not so much that they "need" more powder, it's just that it TAKES more powder to get to maximum pressures. This is due to a several things, more useable case capacity under lighter bullets, less weight to start moving so the pressure can drop quicker when firing, and possible a longer travel time (therefore more velocity) before contacting the rifling so it doesn't slow down as much and build more pressure.

As far as dollars are concerned, it's USUALLY cheaper to buy lighter bullets and use more powder, since powder is typically less than a penny.

Most people feel that a heavier bullet will give a "sluggish" but considerable recoil, while lighter bullets are "snappier" with a faster recoil, but also a quicker reset. Experience will vary, but most of us on this forum do some form of competition where we are trying to make a certain power factor and MOST people will say that heavier bullets with quicker burning powders will feel softer than lighter bullets with slower burning powders.

I use Titegroup for 9mm and .40 S&W, but be fore warned it is easy to double charge a .40 case with it. you could probably triple charge a .45 case with it and not notice until you go to shoot it lol.

All in all, it's a versatel powder and cheap, although it isn't for "full power loads", tends to warm barrels a little, and only mediocre success with lead bullets (for most people).

I use Titegroup and N320 and am also fairly new to reloading. I find them pretty similar in shooting with Montana Gold and Zero FMJ/CMJ bullets. TG feels a little snappier and runs a little hotter. N320 takes a little more powder to make major (.1 to .2 grains) and the major loads for 180gr FMJ/CMJ/HP bullets are not listed on the VV site so take that for what you will. My TG load for GA state (I did not have a chance to chrono a N320 load prior to the match so took the safe road) was 4.7gr, 180gr MG CMJ and CCI SPP loaded at 1.135 OAL amd made 171 PF with 8FPS variance on the chrono shots.

If I was starting over again and buying local only (I got lucky and got in on a group Powder Valley order) I would go with TG.

I've got this setup:

Hornady XTP 180

I'm trying to save some $$$ !

Jogan, sounds like a great start - to save more

money, I'd go with less expensive bullets - the

XTP's must have cost you a fortune = better to

use MG, or even the moly coated bullets - be a

lot cheaper if you're going to purchase in large

quantities - and if you don't need a PF, I'd go

with the lighter bullets (they're cheaper).

And, +1 on the $70 Chrony - tells you how fast

your bullets are flying (and how safe your load is).

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

roger that. HPJack, the only reason I opted for the hornady's is because out of the entire wall of reloading bullets, it was the ONLY box for .40/10mm. I HATE having to shoot expensive hollow points for paper killin! Now that I'm no longer terrified of reloading, I'll be placing an order for bulk primers and bulk bullets. Thanks again for all the help, guys!

Before you try N320, I would suggest you look at Titegroup. Half the cost.

Silly he isn't worried about cost he is shooting Hornady XTP bullets. Now get some precision moly or bayou bullets and an 8# jug of WST and shoot till the cows come home. HS6 Heap good powder for open gun 38S or 9 major, not as good for Limited gun. N320 good stuff can't go wrong, best 9 mm powder period, good with 40 jacketed bullets.

TiteGroup, cheap, dirty, gun melting hot, too bad it is not a woman. I used it with 200gr Jaketed worked good but for 180gr Jacketed I'll take N320, with what I save in cleaning supplies and a longer lasting barrel I'll break even or ahead. Sorry I hit it I quit it, just don't like the stuff too much recoil to boot.

Hold that thought, I did shoot HS6 in 40 with 135gr Bullets in a 40 open gun. Worked good almost as lound and Long Shot, nice and sooty, like coal smut all in the gun.

Edited by CocoBolo

I use Titegroup for 9mm and .40 S&W, but be fore warned it is easy to double charge a .40 case with it. you could probably triple charge a .45 case with it and not notice until you go to shoot it lol.

All in all, it's a versatel powder and cheap, although it isn't for "full power loads", tends to warm barrels a little, and only mediocre success with lead bullets (for most people).

I've been using TG for my 9mm and .40 reloads also. Cheapest and easiest powder to get here.

A double charge of TG @ 4.5gr is easy to spot in a .40, fills it up to almost the top of the case !

I've been using TG for my 9mm and .40 reloads also. Cheapest and easiest powder to get here.

A double charge of TG @ 4.5gr is easy to spot in a .40, fills it up to almost the top of the case !

I suppose I should clarify... Not that it isn't easy to notice when you look in the case, it's fairly easy to see a double charge of TG in .40. I meant that a double charge will fit in the case and you can put a bullet on top with no issue, if you don't catch it visually. You WILL, however, catch the difference when you shoot it... Whether your gun blows up or not.

I suppose I should clarify... Not that it isn't easy to notice when you look in the case, it's fairly easy to see a double charge of TG in .40. I meant that a double charge will fit in the case and you can put a bullet on top with no issue, if you don't catch it visually. You WILL, however, catch the difference when you shoot it... Whether your gun blows up or not.

Yes, you will damn sure notice it when you shoot it, one way or another!

Well after the first small batch to make sure everything was in working order, I loaded up another 150 and headed to the range. I bumped the powder up from 6.1 to 6.3-6.4 due to the slide not locking back after the last bullet fired. The new load worked flawlessly through all 150 rounds! Slide locked back on every depleted mag! Only thing is the front tip of my gun looks like it was used to clean the soot out of a chimney! The cool part was my son was more than happy to track down all my brass and pick it up after it cooled off enough! Left with 148 lightly used .40 cases! Still don't know where those other 2 went.....