Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about my 147 gr load

lablover

Just loaded and shot a load of 147gr Rainier plated HP

I loved the way they shot but would like to get away from plated bullets. I used these because they were available and I wanted to start my new to "pistol" reloading. I would much prefer to use jacketed bullets.

My club shoots pins indoors during the winter (starting in November) I'm sure the 1000 Rainier plated I bought will be well gone by then. Any suggestions on a good replacement (jacketed) for the Rainier 147 plated HP ? I have no issues trying 124's as well. I have a sample (100) of some PD 124 JHP. I just want to have a nice light recoil and stick in the 130 ish PF range. I use titegroup right now but a friend is going to give me a pound of n320 to try out.

My ultimate goal is to get a round put together so I can shoot 3 gun matches and be able to knock down steel. The 147's are the ticket I think but cant seem to find a 147gr Jacketed HP. I like the hollow points because I think it gives better accuracy....I could be way off base???

For those that ask whats wrong with a plated bullet..................I have no clue...nothing I guess. I just want to ue jacketed and I think the price increase is minimum. I also prefer Redheads to Blonds! LOL :)

Thanks in advance Guys

Plated bullets suck at least for me. They cost as much or more than Montana Gold Jacketed bullets when bought in bulk. Plated bullets can't be driven too fast, can't be crimped too hard and even when you do everything just perfect they still are not as accurate as jacketed or lead cast bullets.

Pat

Either PD's 147gr FMJ-TC or MG's 124gr JHP will work well. The PD if you want to minimize recoil.

What sort of pin setup/rules does your club use though? If you have to clear pins from the front of a deep table, 9mm is quite a handicap. The serious shooters will be shooting .45acp or .44's. If you just have to knock them over / knock them off the back or off a shallow table, then 9mm isn't too big a setback.

Either PD's 147gr FMJ-TC or MG's 124gr JHP will work well. The PD if you want to minimize recoil.

What sort of pin setup/rules does your club use though? If you have to clear pins from the front of a deep table, 9mm is quite a handicap. The serious shooters will be shooting .45acp or .44's. If you just have to knock them over / knock them off the back or off a shallow table, then 9mm isn't too big a setback.

Darn good question. NEver did it and will be my first try in November. It's a 3 gun club. Hey, I may have to get another pistol just to knock bowling pins off a table...OH DARN :) And knowing how competitive my Wife is, I can see a 45 in her future as well.

They also do combat style shooting indoors during the winter months.

Funny....I'll show up with a Mod 29 S&W.....LOL

I've never loaded 147's before. I bought some PD 147 FMJ (not the TC's). Plan on using Tite Group because I have a bunch. Would appreciate some OAL info for these. I figure I'll start at 3.1 and move up for minor and accuracy. Thanks.