Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming barrel ?

jjm572

I see a lot of post with the CZ's where it OAL is very short. I bought a used Shadows Custom and it runs JHP out to 1.145.

I load all my Minior 9 mm at 1.145 and it fits the Shadow, the wifes CZ75, and her CZ P01 Compact she carries in her purse. I know here guns were not reamed as I bought them new at a gun show from a dealer.

So I always have to wonder what bullet are they using, what type, who made it etc. The OAL's referenced above are only for the Zero 125gr JHP.

I picked 1.145 as that is the lenght of the factory ammo I was using before I started reloading, 4 or 5 years ago.

I've reamed 2 clark 9 mm barrels and one schueman with a Manson head space reamer to get longer OAL for Major 9 mm, the guns work great the accuracy is good. I just loaded up a sizing bullet, clamped the barrel in a vise stuck the reamer in gave it a couple turns, ran a brush thru to clear debris, then dropped check the bullet, if it fit then done else repeat. The manson reamer costs $40 and I ordered it from manson.

Edited by CocoBolo

My factory Shadow barrel was not very accomodating for MG JHPs. I was on the rifling at 1.084". My typical minor loads are 1.142", so I had my barrel reamed. I went this route because I did not want to be stuck with short loads. Not only did it give me less versatility with working up my rounds, but it left me in a bad situation if I ever needed to borrow/buy ammo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

any gunsmith should be able to ream a barrel. Also it really doesn't have as much to do with OAL as it does with each bullets profile. Some bullets can run long because they are long and narrow. The ones that are short and fat tend to have to have a shorter OAL. I had all mine done so it would run what ever I want out to mag length if I want to.

any gunsmith should be able to ream a barrel. Also it really doesn't have as much to do with OAL as it does with each bullets profile. Some bullets can run long because they are long and narrow. The ones that are short and fat tend to have to have a shorter OAL. I had all mine done so it would run what ever I want out to mag length if I want to.

Will most CZ magazines handle an OAL of 1.169"?