Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sightmark Red Dots

So I was looking at a local gun store, and online at some red dots for an AR I am getting. I really like the EOTechs, and the Aimpoints, but don't want to spend that kind of cash right now. I'm already spending around $1,000 for the rifle, and then will be doing some mods to it after that. I do eventually want to get a higher end sight, but was looking at something to use in the mean time.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sightmark line of red dots? My local gun shop had these and the salesman was talking them up a lot. They also had a 5x magnifier for the Ultra Shot.

I was looking at these 2:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmark-ultra-shot-sight-qd-digital-switch-red-dot-sight.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmark-tactical-red-dot-sight-sm13041.html

Any first hand reviews, good or bad? Found a ton of videos on Youtube with people talking about them, but they all said they had just gotten them, or only used it for 100 or so rounds, and I wanted to know if it would last.

It will be going on a carbine length AR, more than likely a direct impingement model. I want to use the rifle for some light 3 gun shooting but mostly as a SD and bug out gun.

I have a Sight Mark installed on an AR that I just bought. Haven't shot it yet or sighted it in, but already can tell you that the dot seems kind of blurry. It almost looks like it's projecting a double image. May look better on the range at a 100 yards instead of aimed at my neighbors house (you know, the one who let's her dog shit all over my lawn :angry2: ) If I get out this week to shoot I'll let you know if I can get it sighted in.

Look at Vortex spark and magnifier not really pricey and vortex stuff is g2g usually

I'll check those out

Edit: Just checked them out. For that price I could get an EOTech for $100 more. Not worth it to me. Only reason I looked at the Sightmark was the price tag of $100. I am considering a sight that I could use until I can save up for the EOTech.

Edited by Tuflehundon

A buddy of mine purchased one and put it on his AR15, and he couldn't get it to hold its zero properly. So he got frustrated with it and sold it to me for 30 bucks. I promptly put it on a rimfire rifle, and it works fine as a range toy. edit: dot on mine had no ghost image, but it was not a perfect circle. More like a circle with a small tail.

It's certainly nicer than the red dots available for 30 bucks. But I wouldn't buy one at anywhere close to full price.

I personally would go with Primary Arms if you're set on a red dot in that price range. Fast shipping, great customer service, I've bought two of their micro dots and love em.

Edited by Aiden

Look at Vortex spark and magnifier not really pricey and vortex stuff is g2g usually

I'll check those out

Edit: Just checked them out. For that price I could get an EOTech for $100 more. Not worth it to me. Only reason I looked at the Sightmark was the price tag of $100. I am considering a sight that I could use until I can save up for the EOTech.

I've been very happy with the Bushnell TR-25. 80$ and seems to be built extremely well for the price.

Also think bout this. 479 + shipping would get you the 1-4x mtac with perp mount as well

I wouldn't buy the magnifier. It's a Carbine so long range shots aren't in it's future. With open sights I used to do head shots on targets at 500 meters with my issue M16A2.

I'll check those out

I've been very happy with the Bushnell TR-25. 80$ and seems to be built extremely well for the price.

I'll look into the Bushnell. Had one of there scopes on my old 30-06. I was happy with it to.

BTW, thanks for all of the input guys

Edited by Tuflehundon

Looked at several of the ones you guys recommended today at a larger local gun store. I have decided to just wait till I save up the cash and get either an Aimpoint or an Eotech. Price for a decent "clone" was just to much to justify spending, and then spending more later to get the real deal. SO I am just gonna wait for the nicer optic later and use the iron sites for now. Irons are what I trained with in the Marines anyways. Friend of mine has both with magnifiers on his AR's so he's gonna let me try out both and see which I like.

Thanks for all the input.