Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good price for a used STI Grandmaster?

rockhopper46038

So, I am considering trying my hand at Open. I have the opportunity to purchase a used STI Grandmaster with 2x 170mm magazines, 3x 140mm magazines, plus the stock magazine, a CRSpeed WSMII holster, 3x Safariland adjustable roller mag pouches, a 38 Super die set and a few hundred pieces of .38 Super brass for $2600. The gun has had a little tuning done too it, and it runs well. Is this a good deal, an OK deal, a "meh" deal; or should I stay away from the Grandmaster entirely and spend more on a custom gun if I'm at all interested in trying this?

I think you'll probably do about the same considering the accessories that come with it. Assuming the gun is in good shape, I would say it's an A OK deal. You may do better, but you could definitely do worse.

Edited by Whoops!

Thanks for the replies, folks. It has a purported 5000 rounds on it. There is a little rub mark on the slide from the frame, but it isn't bad and doesn't look active. I know this is pretty normal on 1911 pattern pistols (although I only see it on my GSG1911), but is it something to be concerned with on a 2011?

He has offered to let me shoot it first, so I would do that for sure. I don't know enough to say whether I'd prefer a 9mm Major, or not. Certainly I can see the advantage on brass cost, and I already reload a crap-ton of 9mm so that's a good thing...but the little research I've done so far seems to indicate that 9mm Major guns are even more finicky than .38 Super guns; and I don't see a deal on one right now in the Classifieds, either :)

All right, follow on question then:

From my forum searches it appears that converting the aforementioned pistol from .38 Super to 9mm (Major) is as "easy" as having a new 9mm Tru Bore barrel fitted to it...or not. That barrel seems to price out at about $250 or so; what would I expect to pay to have such a barrel fitted. I have to add that in to my acquisition costs to evaluate where I can be this deal.

All right, follow on question then:

From my forum searches it appears that converting the aforementioned pistol from .38 Super to 9mm (Major) is as "easy" as having a new 9mm Tru Bore barrel fitted to it...or not. That barrel seems to price out at about $250 or so; what would I expect to pay to have such a barrel fitted. I have to add that in to my acquisition costs to evaluate where I can be this deal.

You might get away with not changing the extractor but it's probably a good idea to swap it out. Getting one and having it fit will be a little extra.

Besides the price of the barrel, you're probably looking at $150+- just to have it fit. Not sure how much work there is to blend the comp to the slide (if that's important to you.)

Also, if you don't have a local smith in mind, shipping it can be very costly.

With the accessorites at $700-$800 if you need them < 2k makes it a great deal. I shoot major 9 but I know that it costs more, to shoot it and it is a pain in the ass to load 9 versus 38Super Comp. You will find it easier to dial in a load with 38S, my 9's run good but I did have to work some at it. Consider $600-700 to switch over form 38S to 9 major, but I say shoot 38S till you get tired of it.

No the GM isn't the flattest softest gun out there but you aren't Max Jr either. It will get you a long way down the road, if you want it a little flatter and softer Two Poppel holes will get-r-done.