Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

26" Versamax

co-exprs

Well rats! I picked up a prize table cert for a Versamax. I requested a Tactical model and Remington sent me a 26" field gun instead. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and it is really cool that Remington sponsored RM3G this year, with several certificates for nice guns. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on a tactical though. My first instinct was to say, "well I guess I'll just sell it". After sleeping on it, now I'm on the fence. It was my intention to go to a 10 shot tube with the tactical model, which would put the magazine length out at 26" anyways. The tradeoff would be a little extra weight at the muzzle, but I'm not much of a speed freak and the extra weight doesn't seem to slow down my open class buddies. To make the decision even tougher, I have a very nicely set up SLP, which has been dead reliable, (even with light target loads), is spot on for slugs and is about as well set up as any SLP I have ever seen. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

Edited by co-exprs

I shoot a 26" VM with an XRAIL (just one match with the XRAIL, so far). With a 10 round tube I think it transitions fine. I've used a VM Tactical in a charity side match stage and didn't think it was any faster than the 26".

Before the XRAIL I was using a 13 round tube when using the XXL Nordic end cap.

Keep it as a spare. Who knows, maybe you'll like it enough to make it your primary. Personally, i think the trend of the short shotgun barrels is a thing of the past. Most matches now are just 9 to start, the longer barrels are easier to find, are cheaper, provide great sight radius for slugs, and for most folks the extra weight is a negligible.

Sight radius for slugs is your friend.

Occasionaly a match presents shooting problem where the longer barrel may hurt you on a stage but those are few and far between. IMHO that is far outweighed by the advantage that the extra sight radius gives you.

Remember our sporting clays brethren run 30 and 32 inch barrels and they're always shooting at fast moving targets.

I picked it up from the club tonight. Didn't do anything to it. Just put it together and stepped out onto the trap range. I had to put a lot of chest into it, but it cycled 2.5 dram bird shot right off the bat. Balance is excellent and recoil with some 3 drams was very light. I like the huge feed port, oversized safety, and highly adjustable stock. Trigger is average. I noticed that if you don't get the nut cranked down the barrel feels loose. We'll see if it matters.

• 2 weeks later...

A week or two later and I'm just about done setting up the Versamax. Nordic 14" tube with extended cap, barrel clamp, follower, charge handle and button. I added a triangle fiber, tappered the hand guard and got a good start on the port work. I'll wait to finish the port work after I've had a chance to run it. The trigger group and lifter are at C-Rums now for lock work and welding. Jeff said about 2 weeks so I should get it back before too long. I can't lie. Now that I decided to set it up and run it, I'm jonesin to get it together and onto the range. I even ordered up the replacement parts for my shotshell press, so I can make up some practice ammo.

Sounds like an excellent set up. I am having a similar dilemma. I have a great offer on a 22" Versa tactical but I am thinking hard bout going with a 26 and building it up. I would be curious to hear your feedback on the final results.

We'll see how she runs. I'd really like this shotty to work out. I'm on a shoe string budget and right now can't afford to be doubled up on guns. The field based Versamax would be ultimately more versatile than my SLP. Pull off the extension and it would be equally at home on a bird hunt or on the skeet range.

I shoot a 26" and all the ones leaving the shop are 26" and so far I like them better as I have had both.

Benny, in your opinion I am better off going with a 26 and building it up instead of grabbing the tactical? Forgive me I am not trying to thread jack but it seems on topic.