Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 bmg single shot with iron sights?

Chriznak

Anyone know what exists? I'm thinking the only way to do it would be a Barrett 99 or Bluegrass Viper with flip up irons on the rail. I wish the Serbu 50 or Anzio Single Shot had an iron sight option since they seem like the most spartan designs out there. Chime in below!

Anyone know what exists? I'm thinking the only way to do it would be a Barrett 99 or Bluegrass Viper with flip up irons on the rail. I wish the Serbu 50 or Anzio Single Shot had an iron sight option since they seem like the most spartan designs out there. Chime in below!

I have to ask the obvious question, WHY?

Irons on a long range round seems to make no sense to me.

Pat

Pat

Here's a second guy who wants to know why...

Who cares why? If He has the overpowering urge to shoot a 50 with good irons then why not? I enjoy hitting far off targets with irons, I would pull the trigger on a 50 with irons, sounds like fun to me. The only problem I see would be getting a barrel mount made for the front sight, but I would think it could be done. Good luck in your project

:cheers:

Who cares why? If He has the overpowering urge to shoot a 50 with good irons then why not? I enjoy hitting far off targets with irons, I would pull the trigger on a 50 with irons, sounds like fun to me. The only problem I see would be getting a barrel mount made for the front sight, but I would think it could be done. Good luck in your project

:cheers:

Its kind of like putting a laser sight on a sling shot but the reverse. But to each his own.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Wouldn't be my choice, but I understand the difference between the winning scores of the Wimbledon Cup (scope) Leech Cup(irons) winners are usually less than 1%.. all that is to say it is possible to hit at distance with irons. If I wanted to do it i'd be using something cheaper to shoot than a .50 but like someone above said to each their own.

Edited by caspian guy

I know the M107 has irons on it but using any military standard round the irons aren't good beyond maybe 500m, the barrel and break get in the way. Those heavy 600gr rounds have some serous drop on them, also the M107 has a relatively short sight radius, 2.5ft I believe and they are standard hight for an M4 series rifle as well as being relatively close to the bore. Good luck with that though, not my first choice for shooting that far, but I think it's doable.

• 1 month later...

Pat

+1 you can't even see say a 16x18 steel target at about 700 yards