Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 or 124 for minor

Scootertheshooter

I would go with a 95gr bullet and you can keep the same powder as your Major loads so no adjusting. If you are using a 124, that would drop your PF by somewhere around 30 but you still get the benefit of using lots of powder and trying to work the comp better while having a very mild recoil impulse.

95gr bullet and same powder so no adjusting.

I can see the benefit to that - makes sense.

I went the other way and kept the same 124 gr MG JHP bullet

and dropped the powder to 5.7 gr WAC - seems to work pretty well.

But, I'm going to use up some of my 115 gr bullets next time. :cheers:

I would go with a 95gr bullet and you can keep the same powder as your Major loads so no adjusting. If you are using a 124, that would drop your PF by somewhere around 30 but you still get the benefit of using lots of powder and trying to work the comp better while having a very mild recoil impulse.

Will this drop steel as well as static?

Will this drop steel as well as static?

I only use this in Steel Challenge so no falling steel. However, when I go to the range, we have some plate racks and dueling trees that I shoot and it has no problem putting them down/moving them. Remember, it's still in the 130 - 140 PF range and that should put steel down easily, if calibrated correctly.

do people use HS6 in a production load? if I load HS6 and shoot it out a G34 out of the ordinary?

Scooter, I use the WAC in my OPEN load (used to use HS6) and I've

used WAC for steel in my OPEN gun - haven't tried it in my BHP -

probably work, but perhaps not as well as other powders - usually

use slow powders for OPEN and fast powders for Production.

The HS6 will be dirtier than faster powders.

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

The hotter you load HS6, the cleaner it shoots, so 175 power factor shoots cleaner (and flatter) than 170PF, and so on. This is true of some other slow-burning (Open) powders esp. AA5, AA7, HS7. If you can get AutoComp or others to shoot clean w/less powder charge, that's great - look out for unburned granules around your chamber, check accuracy, check extreme spread over the chrono, etc. In general keeping the charge the same and using a lighter bullet works pretty well. Also, VihtaVouri powders tend to shoot clean over a wide range of velocities because the filler used is wood pulp, versus most American powders which use recycled newspaper.

For a gun a 1911-type slide & shooting steel, try using the most rounded firing pin stop you can find. It lets the slide open with less force, gives higher slide speed, and allows a stronger recoil spring so you're not worrying about whether a 7-lb spring will chamber your rounds.

The hotter you load HS6, the cleaner it shoots, so 175 power factor shoots cleaner (and flatter) than 170PF, and so on. This is true of some other slow-burning (Open) powders esp. AA5, AA7, HS7. If you can get AutoComp or others to shoot clean w/less powder charge, that's great - look out for unburned granules around your chamber, check accuracy, check extreme spread over the chrono, etc. In general keeping the charge the same and using a lighter bullet works pretty well. Also, VihtaVouri powders tend to shoot clean over a wide range of velocities because the filler used is wood pulp, versus most American powders which use recycled newspaper.

For a gun a 1911-type slide & shooting steel, try using the most rounded firing pin stop you can find. It lets the slide open with less force, gives higher slide speed, and allows a stronger recoil spring so you're not worrying about whether a 7-lb spring will chamber your rounds.

I did find some unburned HS6 on my arm and thus move the charge up does make it burn cleaner so I understand that. My accuracy is good the other issue is I was trying to use the same bullets for both production and open minor an like the 124 out of my glocks

Could you suggest a good/cheap place to get 95gr 9mm bullets?

Here is my 02 on minor in open gun. I shot some fast powders and the gun was so lazy the dot didn't move, course you got to adjust the zero cause it moved. I played minor 3 Saturday's a month for several months. What I learned was I need something with a little bit of flip and a little bit of slap.

What I came up with is 115gr w/5.6gr of AutoComp, or a 124gr w/5.2gr of AutoComp, these both play at 135pf. There is enough recoil to keep you awake while shooting and to activate your muscle memory and your timing machine. The gun runs nice soft and flat. (this is 9 minor w/8# spring)

For 38SC I ran a 124gr with 5.0gr of WST, with a 7# spring, I jacked the 115's to 5.4gr.

Going too light on the recoil spring can cause failures too feed.

Since I did all that I went back to just shooting my major load, somehow the hits are better and my times went down.

Here is my 02 on minor in open gun. I shot some fast powders and the gun was so lazy the dot didn't move, course you got to adjust the zero cause it moved. I played minor 3 Saturday's a month for several months. What I learned was I need something with a little bit of flip and a little bit of slap.

What I came up with is 115gr w/5.6gr of AutoComp, or a 124gr w/5.2gr of AutoComp, these both play at 135pf. There is enough recoil to keep you awake while shooting and to activate your muscle memory and your timing machine. The gun runs nice soft and flat. (this is 9 minor w/8# spring)

For 38SC I ran a 124gr with 5.0gr of WST, with a 7# spring, I jacked the 115's to 5.4gr.

Since I did all that I went back to just shooting my major load, somehow the hits are better and my times went down.

seems everyone is shooting autocomp. I thought HS6 felt smoother. I understand auto shoots cleaner assuming this is why

Could you suggest a good/cheap place to get 95gr 9mm bullets?

Montana Gold.

I normally load to 1.15 with MG 124gr CMJ, do I need to change the COL using the 95's?

MSG, whenever you change bullets, you might need to change your OAL.

You'll have to do the drop test into the chamber, etc and chrono.

You might get away with same OAL, but safer to check.

:cheers:

CocoBolo, is the 124gr with 5.2gr autocomp in a 9mm minor?

Thanks

Chris