Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inserting Moonclips: Right Hand vs Left Hand

Cy Soto

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I've been trying to nail down a " technique " ( if you want to call my attempt that ) for reloads, I know i've got some bad habits, and im doing my best to try to break them. Think i'd like to stick with weak hand

after reviewing the video I am noticing i've got to much trigger finger in there.

Some might comment on my one eyed shooting, - but it's what is most comfortable for me. I am cross eye dominant - right handed, left eye dominate, and I really struggle to focus with both eyes open.

Any tips / comments for improvement?

thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvrV4d8NBXI

Edited by alecmc

I am hung up on how I grab the clip. Depending on how I pick it up matter to me for come reason. If I am getting it off of a table I grab the clip lower and strong hand seems natural. If I am getting it of the clip server I grab it almost with fingertips and weak hand feels more natural.

Lee

I haven't competed with my 625. With SSR, I use a weak-hand reload. When I tried using a strong-hand reload, I just wasn't regripping the gun consistently.

Bones is a distinguished master and does a strong-hand reload. Of the two revolver masters that I shoot with, one does a strong-hand reload and the other does a weak-hand reload. Try both ways and see which one works for you.

I think if you watch the top rev.shooters--Jerry,Mike,Cliff,Matt,and many more you will see a couple different ways to do it,,so pick the best for you a pratice the H**** out of it,,

• 10 months later...

Not much of a revolver shooter but at home practicing a reload I always switch the gun to my left hand and load with my right, just seems natural. At a match I keep the gun in my strong hand and use weak hand for the clips without a thought to what I'm doing or how.

When I shoot revolver, I reload with my weak hand. See the video below. I had not shot revolver in over a year and the stages are in the same order as I shot them. I got back into the groove by the last stage and the last reload on the video is one of my best ever. Too bad it was for one makeup shot.

Edited by latech15

I have been shooting a revolver almost constantly for ten+ years. I do it because it is more fun than an auto-loader, and because I tend to shoot better. Do like several have said, and try both ways. See which is the most comfortable for you and practice until you can do it with your eyes closed.

I prefer the weak-hand reload, but that is just me. a lot of the big guns go both ways and it works for them. you just have to see what works best.