Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard chroming Titanium

Sarge

Why would you? It won't corrode.

Why else? Looks. I think if I chrome it this winter I'll do it from head to toe.

I'm with you. This was one of the hang-ups for me in having the Bedell Open gun hard chromed. It just doesn't look right IMO having an all hard chrome gun with an off colored comp. Titanium is different enough in color to be noticeable, but not different enough to give a two-tone look.

I'm with Eric on this one. Polish it up. Not sure if you remember the old slide-racker on my Open gun..... it was Ti and I had it polished to a mirror shine. (I'll bring it with me tonight if you want to see how shiny you can get it with just a simple buffing wheel)

Besides, comps are like barrels .... they need to be replaced sooner or later, so I wouldn't fool with it. If you do, then you'll eventually need to re-chrome it and/or re-nickel plate + chrome. It just seems like a lot of work when you can polish it for next to nothing.

Edited by Chris Keen

Thanks. I actually did not know they would buff out to much of a shine.

Not to mention it ain't cheap for a new comp to be fitted. Cost of comp, cost of labor, shipping. You would also be adding weight to nose if you switched from a Ti comp to steel.

Nice to know you can "spit shine" Ti. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I actually did not know they would buff out to much of a shine.

Titanium can actually look like a mirror after you put enough time and effort into it with super high grit sanding devices and lots of liquid polishing time.