Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

three gun rifle for Calif.

bray

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy,

If you don't already own an AR-15 type rifle (prior to December 31, 2000), you won't be getting one in Kalifornia (my home state too!).

This limits your choices to the M1A, or the Ruger Ranch Rifle (Mini-14).

I have seen customized Ruger 223's do very well against AR type  rifles. The M1A will do a good job too!

Check out this link for the pros & cons of the M1A

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...2&topic=228

Regards,

The .30 caliber M1 Carbine is another good option that will shoot real well out to 100 yards (maybe even 200 if the wind ain't too bad). A 110 grainer moving 1900-2000 fps meets USPSA minor by a decent margin. The little carbine handles real well and would be a winner on short hose courses. I think it's a pretty good looking gun too!

BTW, hi cap magazines would be the biggest hassle with any choice you make. Ah, Kalifornia, I love you so ;~)

Regards,

I would leave this damned state in a minute if my business wasn't tied to the local market. If/when the legislators here starting making more stupid moves, all considerations go out the window and I'm gone!

(Edited by George at 11:47 pm on Jan. 6, 2003)

Only from the time you put it on pistol in the safe area to the time you take it off. :)

Face it, it's not possible for somebody living under Caliban rule to obtain a "competitive" 3-gun rifle and magazines and stick to the letter of the law. Even the best options, M1 carbine, Mech-Tech, and M1A, require the purchase of standard capacity magazines.

Think about how uncompetitive a 10-round .308 M1A is.

Perhaps bray should speak up as to whether she or he wishes to be competitive or just simply have fun.

Let's not dig too deep into the fact that magazines are expendables. They wear out and have to be replaced on a somewhat regular basis.

How that is done here in Kalifornia is still a mystery to me ;~)

BTW Erik, I love the term Caliban. It sums up my feelings perfectly.

The b is for Bill, thanks for all of the great advise and Eric I hope you won't mind if I use caliban. I've already passed it all over the office. one more bit of help from those in calif. where could I have either a carbine or Ruger accurized, I live in san jose.

I just attended Bennie Cooley's rifle class (in the Caliban) and the last drill was to shoot a round from everybody else's rifle. One of the best triggers in the group was on a Mini 14! It had a scope and an aftermarket stock, but the scope was too high. The Tasco dot sight on the other Ruger was way too high; I couldn't even chin-mount the thing. (In fact, almost everybody had too-high scopes.)

Accurized, a Mini 14 can hit the targets. And it's reliable. I don't know how many dollars it takes to get there.

The Mini-14 with the PDP dot had a standard-type wood stock, don't know if it was original or not. The tricked out Mini-14 with the magnifying scope had a synthetic stock with a pronounced pistol grip, a la HS Precision and other "sniper" stocks.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can't use the CCU carbine upper, you might want to also look at the Marlin Camp Carbines for <200 yard shooting.  I don't know the for sure, but I can't see them being ruled "assault weapons", even in Kalifornia.

I didn't think that Marlin  made them anymore  .

I know Ruger makes it as a PC9  (9x19) and a  PC4 in 40 S&W. They take the P series handgun mags, at one time  available in 30 rds.

But again, unless you have the mags already, you will be stuck with 10 rds. Lots of mag changes.

Stoopid California.

Can't you legalize an AR-15 just by painting it pink or something?  I mean, then it wouldn't be black, so that removes at least one of its "evil" features, right?  

Draw smiley faces on the points of your bullets, too.

Just a stupid question:  would an AR-15 outfit with a more conventional rifle stock (no pistol grip) be legal in california?

Later,

DogmaDog

I remember at one time the rule of thumb the Ca DOJ was using had them drawing an imaginary line, paralel to the bore at the top of the trigger.  IIRC "some" of the grip had to be above that line.  Since the AR types have alot of reciever above and behind the top of the trigger it pretty much makes it impossible to have a firing grip without a pistol grip.  

FWIW I just shot my first three gun a couple weeks ago and used a M1A Scout.  Did fine on the up close and hosing stage.  Something deliciously gratuitous about double tapping a target at two yards with a 308.  Kinda got my a$$ kicked at the 200 yard line but that was my own fault for not haveing a better 200 yard zero going in.  Also the berm was taking the rounds without much dust so self-spotting was difficult.  

AIM Surplus has 1000 rnd cases of portguese surplus 308 for $150 delivered so there is really no cost disadvantage to 308.  The recoil issue could still be a problem but I think if you have your act together you can uses the advantages of the M1A to offset much of the liabilities.