Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock 9 major question......

msshooter

I have been shooting my g17 open gun in 9 major for about 9 months now with no issues. I am going to lighten my trigger a little and was wondering if anyone has used a lightned/extended stiker and light sping kits with 9 major? Any issues I might not be seeing?

"I have been shooting my g17 open gun in 9 major for about 9 months now with no issues".

Just a suggestion. If it isn't broke I wouldn't fix it. I have tried a lighter striker springs in my G17's with the standard striker.

They DO make the trigger pull lighter, but they made the gun unreliable with light strike issues. Not much point in having a light trigger pull if the gun don't go bang EVERY time you pull the trigger.

I use the Vanek Super Trigger in conjunction with the Jager lightened/extended striker in my open Glocks (G17's) and have found it to be stone cold reliable. That includes using a 4 pound striker spring that comes with the Vanek trigger. My trigger pull is in the 2 - 2.5 lb range. I use Winchester small pistol primers and they go bang every time. Every Glock is slightly different, so your experience may vary, but the combo works for me in several guns.

The parts to lighten your trigger pull aren't a problem. The only issues are if you use a recoil spring that is too light to hold the slide closed as you pull the trigger (less problem with a light striker spring). The only issues are: 1. Do your rounds go bang (enough primer strike) and 2. Do your primers stay in good shape when fired.

If you use Federal small pistol primers (Fed 100s) you may have issues with the very-small granule powders melting or piercing the primer; usually Fed 100s are no problem with granules bigger than the flash-hole, like Vihtavouri powders. So if you settle on a small ball powder like HS6 (a great powder for Major9) you will likely need harder primers (I recommend CCI small rifle) and a stronger striker spring such as the stock 5 lb spring, or maybe the new Wolff 4.5 lb spring. Most of the Wolff springs esp. the 4 lb have the annoying tendency to not hold the spring cups all the way together, which can result in the striker dragging and "click" - misfire. If you're real steady with a pair of pliers you can tighten the spring-end down. Also the 4 lb Wolff springs weaken pretty quickly.

Always good to have a complete spare striker assembly (like with the next stronger spring on it) in your bag & ready to go at the range. Also you may want to clean the striker tunnel with Qtip/Hoppes before every match. If you get a lot of primer shavings, you need to change something - primer, powder, or both.

Edited by eric nielsen

I've been using a lightened striker spring and titanium striker for over a year now with great results. I use CCI Small Rifle primers which are pretty hard. I haven't had any light strikes with them. When I was just using a lighter striker spring I had to use Federal or else I would have light strikes.

• 2 weeks later...

To my YES?

Federal Primer is the most softest primer as far as i know... It was design for revolvers... So when you use federal primer in MAJOR load for open gun there is possiblity of getting flat... So when you lighten your ttrigger out from glock you need to reduce the striker spring as well and you will have a issue of light strike uf not using federal primer...

Cocobolo said if your primer didnt get flat, you didnt make it to major pf ;)

To my YES?

Federal Primer is the most softest primer as far as i know... It was design for revolvers... So when you use federal primer in MAJOR load for open gun there is possiblity of getting flat... So when you lighten your ttrigger out from glock you need to reduce the striker spring as well and you will have a issue of light strike uf not using federal primer...

Cocobolo said if your primer didnt get flat, you didnt make it to major pf ;)

Not entirely accurate, at least in my experience. I've chrono'ed major at several big matches (above 170 pf) using a Glock 17, Jager striker, and Vanek trigger with lightened striker spring without pressure signs or flattening of primers, including Federal SP magnum, Winchester SP magnum, and Winchester SP. That was using WSF, Silhouette, and VV N 340 powders. I am using 3N38 at the moment and the early results are very encouraging. Also - no light strikes that I can recall.

• 1 month later...