Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wait for Bar-Sto or go with KKM or Storm Lake?

open67

Still haven't gotten an email from GandRTactical. I think I've read there are at least 3 different people with test barrels out there (on M4C and MP-Pistol), let alone the ones he has on hand. I also just read that Storm Lake had a machine go down in early Sept. or maybe end of Aug(?), so who knows how long it took them to get it fixed or replaced, so their a little behind. His original email to me about Sept. 15th was Sept. 4th or so, so don't know if that was right before the machine went down at SL or not, hopefully it broke down before so that they're still on schedule. For all I know they might of already got them in and doing orders for the pre-paid people (I wasn't one of them though).

However, this is a good read from 10-8 Performance on 06-24-12: S&W M&P Barrels, An Informal Test

Excerpt: Stock gun with no mods, 2012 production.

... It removes the various stress risers ahead of the chamber area, tightens lockup, and brings in a new twist rate... it shot a 2.5” 10 shot group at 25 yards off a rest using Atlanta Arms 115gr match ammo. It shot a 3” group with 147gr ammo, also off a rest.

Problem is no one makes an oversized gunsmith fit barrel for the M&P yet.

The Bar-Sto barrel was supposed to be released months ago, and I can’t find anything from them or Apex about when the barrel will be released.

Storm Lake does not list any oversized barrels for sale for the M&P. G&R tactical is supposedly releasing a storm lake gunsmith fit barrel sometime but they won’t sell it unless they fit it and I’ve been burned by that company once already they will not get any more of my money.

I started asking KKM about an oversized gunsmith fit barrel 2 years ago. They told me that they would like to release one but do not have the time to design one now, they are to busy.

If I’m missing someone please let me know but I don’t know of anyone selling a gunsmith fit oversized barrel for the M&P.

/>What's a stress riser?

Good question, no clue. I'd like to know also, I assume he said it for a reason?

--

The latest info I have on the Apex Bar-Sto stuff is from Randy on M4C:

From M4C: M&P Bar-Sto Barrel from Apex Tactical preview Pic

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81124&page=7

#247 from Randy 08-28-12

Hi all,

I am anxiously awaiting the 9mm version production proof barrel. It should arrive here any day now.

The .40 barrels are producing some excellent accuracy at the 10-15 yard range. Scott and I took the .40 FS out independently to check function. We both confirmed that with Fed 180 fmj, our off-hand groups were between .5" to .75" for five shots.

As soon as I receive the 9mm barrels (and we shoot them for functional reliability) we will do some 25 yard data collection.

We are getting closer!

-Randy

---------------------

So that means in one week to 2 months ?? (:

PC Geek Shooter

http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1394002&postcount=105

He also posted on M4C on 09-13-12 that the new Glock Gen3,4 Extractors they are coming out with should be done in a few weeks. So they will be busy with that also. Which can be good or bad, most of the time when your busy you get more things done. Assuming family things don't get in the way.

----

ps sorry, the formatting on this site is driving me nuts for the last month (only site have problems with, I sign into like 10-15 different ones a month). I can't do links with text or set to Bold... most of the time, it goes back and forth to working to showing just like text then just a little better than just text or perfect. Never know what you'll get.

Well I got a confirmation on the G&R Storm Lake barrels. SL told G&R that they should get them on Oct. 1st. He ordered 100 of the FS regular ones and FS threaded ones (don't know the ratio though). I assume it would take him 3 weeks for sure to get through the 45 (+) orders that he has confirmations for. So __IF__ SL follows through on Oct. 1st, I guess you could say at the end of Oct. to early Nov you could get yours started on if you got on the list very soon. I think he wants you to email him and once they actually come in they'll start taking other orders.

I just found out that there is another place that does IDPA and their still going until the end of October. I was told I could still go through the orientation and still shoot this year, which I didn't expect. This has me thinking I should probably just get the M&P9 without the barrel so I can try IDPA for the first time. No way I'd be able to get the new gun with the SL barrel in it in time, let alone make my reloads and be able to test them at least once before I'd make it to the match.

Well I got a confirmation on the G&R Storm Lake barrels. SL told G&R that they should get them on Oct. 1st. He ordered 100 of the FS regular ones and FS threaded ones (don't know the ratio though). I assume it would take him 3 weeks for sure to get through the 45 (+) orders that he has confirmations for. So __IF__ SL follows through on Oct. 1st, I guess you could say at the end of Oct. to early Nov you could get yours started on if you got on the list very soon. I think he wants you to email him and once they actually come in they'll start taking other orders.

I just found out that there is another place that does IDPA and their still going until the end of October. I was told I could still go through the orientation and still shoot this year, which I didn't expect. This has me thinking I should probably just get the M&P9 without the barrel so I can try IDPA for the first time. No way I'd be able to get the new gun with the SL barrel in it in time, let alone make my reloads and be able to test them at least once before I'd make it to the match.

You don't already have an M&P, and you're thinking of a replacement barrel?

Get an M&P and try it for accuracy. Some shoot very well, and some shoot for crap.

For just IDPA, I'd suggest a 5' Pro in 9mm. If you are thinking of shooting USPSA too, I'd suggest a 5' Pro in .40. You can download a .40 to shoot softer than 9mm, for IDPA, and Production division in USPSA, and can run major loads to shoot it in limited 10, or, limited divisions in USPSA. :cheers:

You don't already have an M&P, and you're thinking of a replacement barrel?

Get an M&P and try it for accuracy. Some shoot very well, and some shoot for crap.

For just IDPA, I'd suggest a 5' Pro in 9mm. If you are thinking of shooting USPSA too, I'd suggest a 5' Pro in .40. You can download a .40 to shoot softer than 9mm, for IDPA, and Production division in USPSA, and can run major loads to shoot it in limited 10, or, limited divisions in USPSA. :cheers:

The 40 Pro still hasn't sold enough to be approved for production. I just started shooting one in L10.

Hey all, just an update. SL told us that we should see about 100 barrels for the FS M&P (threaded and none) come in shortly. Then in about 30 + days, we should see the 5" (9L) barrels come in.

There are only 3 FS barrels and 1 5" barrel out there currently. All users report that accuracy improved greatly and the guns run reliably.

C4