Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why cant I get tight crimp on my 223?

Canman

I bought some Lake City primed brass. Been loading 55fmj's and I cant get a tight crimp unless my overall length is 221 or shorter. I am going to resize the next batch before I load them and see if that helps. Any ideas?

Crimping your 223 isn't necessary and introduces pressure variance which you don't want. If your cases are sized correctly (including the neck), the case tension will provide all the hold you will need. Even on bullets with crenellure, the natural tension in the case mouth will bite in enough to hold the bullet in place.

I don't crimp my match bullets but have been crimping my ball rounds. Well the other day I found out I had mistakenly put my 308 crimp die on my .223 tool head and did not find out until after well after I had already shot and tested the ammo. Needless to say the crimp die did not crimp anything and I also got my best groups with ball ammo ever. I won't be crimping any of my rifle ammo any more.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

LEEs Factory Crimp Die is what you want for rifle ammo (they suck for handguns, due to the sizing ring used), it you're crimping 223 and don't load bullets with a cannelure. There are also some very good reasons to crimp rifle ammo, and individual circumstances can be different. Gilt-edged accuracy isn't the sole determining factor in loading.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Seems as if the only crimp die talked about which anyone liked (not everyone) was the Lee Factory Crimp Die. What is the general opinion on the Dillon crimp die which come with the .223 Carbide Die Set? I did not see anyone talk about it.

Thanks

LEEs Factory Crimp Die is what you want for rifle ammo (they suck for handguns, due to the sizing ring used), it you're crimping 223 and don't load bullets with a cannelure. There are also some very good reasons to crimp rifle ammo, and individual circumstances can be different. Gilt-edged accuracy isn't the sole determining factor in loading.

Unless your running a full auto a crimp is not needed.

Pat