Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ported chokes change classes?

blsexton

Guys, would this shotgun make a difference in class because of the ports on the choke? Trying to find a 3 gun shotgun ready to go at a reasonable price. These are adverted at Gander Mountain for $469 after rebate- w. the big stick mag tube and ghost sights...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-870-Express-Tactical-Shotgun&i=GM443620&aID=510E2B&merchID=4006pecifications

Model Model 870 Express Tactical

Type Shotgun

Action Pump Action

Gauge 12 Ga.

Chamber 2-3/4" & 3"

Barrel Length 18-1/2"

Weight 7.5 Lbs.

Sights Front Blade

Finish: Stock & Forearm Matte Black Synthetic

Finish: Barrel & Receiver Blued

Choke Rem Choke

Capacity 7

Guys, would this shotgun make a difference in class because of the ports on the choke? Trying to find a 3 gun shotgun ready to go at a reasonable price. These are adverted at Gander Mountain for $469 after rebate- w. the big stick mag tube and ghost sights...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-Model-870-Express-Tactical-Shotgun&i=GM443620&aID=510E2B&merchID=4006pecifications

Model Model 870 Express Tactical

Type Shotgun

Action Pump Action

Gauge 12 Ga.

Chamber 2-3/4" & 3"

Barrel Length 18-1/2"

Weight 7.5 Lbs.

Sights Front Blade

Finish: Stock & Forearm Matte Black Synthetic

Finish: Barrel & Receiver Blued

Choke Rem Choke

Capacity 7

depends on the class (or division???) you want to shoot. BUT, you can buy different chokes that will fit it.

Ported chokes will automatically put you in Open division.

jj

Under most match rules, yes. However, as JJ says, you can buy unported RemChokes for cheap.

As mentioned above, I would NOT recommend a pump shotgun for 3-gun unless you want to shoot a pump-only division (e.g. Heavy Metal Limited). Autos are much more competitive. If you are on a tight budget, look at the Mossberg 930 (not a ported version), the CZ712 or a used Remington 1100/11-87. If you must have a pump, get the Benelli Nova... the 870 Tactical is not particularly good nowadays, and its mag capacity is inadequate.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I would look for one of the mossberg 930 jms or a used 1100 and add a tube. If you already had the gun and wanted to try it out i would say go for it but I wouldnt buy a pump for 3gun unless your looking to shoot heavy metal. the 7 round capacity on the gun is also a disadvantage as tactical allows 9 rounds(8+1) and alot of rules its that at the buzzer so a longer tube you can add extra after the buzzer. Ghost ring sights are personal preference but at least for me, I would go a regular bead sight especially if there are targets in the air ie clays, flippers etc.

As others have said, unless you are wanting to shoot Heavy metal, which is tons of fun, you would be better served by an automatic. The 24" Benelli Nova is a much better 3 gun shotgun than a Remington tactical, and cheaper, if you want a pump though.

Hurley