Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for 147 gr recipe

The Donald

Vihtavuori 320

Extremely clean burning; Very light recoil; But a little fast burning/high pressure for maximum loads; Expensive, more difficult to locate.

Hodgdon Clays

Very clean burning; Very light recoil; But a little fast burning/high pressure for maximum loads; Reasonably priced, easy to locate.

Hodgdon Tight Group

Medium clean burning; Fairly sharp recoil; Very low pressure for all loads; Reasonably priced, easy to locate.

Vihtavuori 320

Extremely clean burning; Very light recoil; But a little fast burning/high pressure for maximum loads; Expensive, more difficult to locate.

Hodgdon Clays

Very clean burning; Very light recoil; But a little fast burning/high pressure for maximum loads; Reasonably priced, easy to locate.

Hodgdon Tight Group

Medium clean burning; Fairly sharp recoil; Very low pressure for all loads; Reasonably priced, easy to locate.

I used to load Berry's 147 with 3.1 or 3.2 gr Titegroup at 1.135". I now load 147 Zero JHP at 1.105" with 3.1 gr Titegroup - both make about 133 PF out of my G34.

DON'T use Clays with 147 gr. All the research I've done on the web points to that being a dangerous combo. I shot a match a few weeks ago where someone had one of those blow the magazine out of his G34, but it could have been due to weak brass.

Clays is good for 124 gr bullets.

I'm also a fan of WSF for both 147 lead and jacketed. Upper 3s for lead (Bayou Bullet) and right at 4 for Zero JHP, and running OALs for 1.137 to 1.14. I really like the way these shoot, and the BB, in particular, are very accurate.