Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worse shots after movement -- how to fix that?

Stan-O

I've noticed that the targets I engage after moving usually have lower score for me, but I can't figure out why. I do not shoot while moving (simply not there yet) and I do take aim before I shoot of course.

Is it a common problem? I'm starting to think breathing might have something to do with it -- is there a trick to that? Do you guys consciously exhale at the last step so you're not breathing in/out when shooting?

I did the same thing a few shoots ago - had a long, fast run

= got there and continued shooting long, fast & hard, instead

of running hard, and then shooting accurately.

I felt that I simply had not stopped "going as fast as possible"

and switched back to shooting deliberately and accurately.

Don't think it had anything to do with breathing, just a simple

mind trick. I may be wrong. :cheers:

I am by no means an expert but in just about everything I have always found training to failure results in the most gains. If your "just not there yet" as far as shooting on the move maybe focus some training time on that specifically. Your accuracy wont be great at first but for me focusing on the smoothness of movement really helps with improving my transitions from target to target. I try to move as cat like as possible when I practice shooting while moving, it helps me to focus on not disrupting the sights, I'd bet it would help you with that first shot when you get to a target after transitioning. By the way... as a 190lb bald aging kinda chubby guy I have to imagine I don't look very cat like, it's more feeling cat like :D

Have a local "top shot" evaluate your technique. Or post a video on the board here and you'll get plenty of positive feed back. Be honest with a self evaluation, is it a technique problem or a consitioning problem or maybe even an equipment problem (like you need better shoes or cleats)?

There's not enough info here, but I'll render a guess anyway.

Movement needs to be the subconscious execution of a memorized route through the stage.

Conscious thought needs to be devoted to calling every shot.

It's VERY common for accuracy to worsen as movement improves. I tell shooters before every session to EXPECT to get worse in the short term, and celebrate that phase of development because they know it's all meshing together bit by bit.

So if you are thinking about your movement, it's very natural and normal for accuracy to suffer. You only have one brain, and you can only think about one thing at a time.

Your subconscious brain can do anything it's been programmed to do just fine on its own.

So we need to take conscious processes and move them to the subconcious mind. At the very upper level you can even move shot calling to the subconscious to the extent that you're just watching yourself shoot. It's a neat feeling. Very calm, insanely devoid of trying and wicked fast.

It takes, uh, Refinement and Repetition.

Edited by Steve Anderson

Thanks for all the feedback, I really should have been more thorough with my question. By "not being there yet" I meant that I can't shoot single-handed while running hard like I've seen other people do. I shoot CZ Shadow in 9mm -- relatively heavy gun with the light loads. I do use cleats when shooting outdoors and I never run hard so that I'm sliding or struggling to stop.

So the incident which really made me think about how poorly I shoot after moving was this stage:

At about 27 seconds in I moved uprange for about 5 seconds. The first one out of 3 targets I've engaged (the left one) was CM (!!!), the other two I've engaged while slowly walking back were AA.

The problem is I only have access to the indoor ranges where the movement practices are either not possible or limited. Matches (so far both of them :)) are pretty much my only options to shoot outdoors. But when practicing indoors last weekend with a small stage built, I've also had worse shots on the *first* target I engage after moving about 6-8 feet with my score getting back to normal on the 2nd/3rd targets.

PS. I've already been given an advise to shoot bottom targets first and I'll work on that.

PPS. My result for the stage in video was 23/6/1/1 at 40.43.

Edited by Stan-O

I sometimes have this trouble after a reload. I notice you said you are moving while holding the gun strong hand only which is also how I do it when moving more than just a step or two.

I believe my problem is I am failing to re-establish a proper grip after removing my weak hand for the reload. I get a good grip out of the holster but fail sometimes to establish the same grip after the reload.

• 2 weeks later...

Conscious thought needs to be devoted to calling every shot.

It's VERY common for accuracy to worsen as movement improves. I tell shooters before every session to EXPECT to get worse in the short term, and celebrate that phase of development because they know it's all meshing together bit by bit.

Steve,

I now believed (and hope) that I'm in this "phase of development". Been doing the drills in your book now for couple of weeks. I did experienced that my accuracy got worse but my movement did improved. I now attack the stages/shoot the targets in a different way before I read your book. Programming Maximum Efficiency. :cheers:

Thanks for all the feedback, I really should have been more thorough with my question. By "not being there yet" I meant that I can't shoot single-handed while running hard like I've seen other people do. I shoot CZ Shadow in 9mm -- relatively heavy gun with the light loads. I do use cleats when shooting outdoors and I never run hard so that I'm sliding or struggling to stop.

So the incident which really made me think about how poorly I shoot after moving was this stage:

At about 27 seconds in I moved uprange for about 5 seconds. The first one out of 3 targets I've engaged (the left one) was CM (!!!), the other two I've engaged while slowly walking back were AA.

The problem is I only have access to the indoor ranges where the movement practices are either not possible or limited. Matches (so far both of them :)) are pretty much my only options to shoot outdoors. But when practicing indoors last weekend with a small stage built, I've also had worse shots on the *first* target I engage after moving about 6-8 feet with my score getting back to normal on the 2nd/3rd targets.

PS. I've already been given an advise to shoot bottom targets first and I'll work on that.

PPS. My result for the stage in video was 23/6/1/1 at 40.43.

Shooting single handed while running is no easy task,so don't get too down on that.

Dry fire is your best friend here,put targets up around the house and really drill the movement

in your head.Like steve said,your building that subconcious.

After i really started to bend the knees and drop my center coming into a position,my shooting became better.

And as always..Smooth is Fast!

This right here will fix it. It all begins in the Walk-Through and ends at make ready when you "clear your mind" and execute your walk-through. Naturally (with time) your body will do what was programed and will hit the spots on the ground and target as visualized. Slowly, intentionally and purposefully mark the spots that you want/need to hit with your feet during the walk-through, find your "sights" on the A-zone (while air gunning) and "see" your sights on the target.

For me (on a complicated stage) I know it takes 2-3 "slow purposefull walk-throughs that are 100% accurate and then the stage is burned in my mind. From there, if I can do a couple runs air-gunning at speed(usually when I am on-deck and everyone else is taping), hitting my marks both on the ground and seeing my "sights" on target while airgunning, I will nail the stage.

Movement needs to be the subconscious execution of a memorized route through the stage.

Edited by old506