Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben asked...

Flexmoney

Still not on topic, but closer...

As a novice complete rookie to shooting games (other than infantry training) I find that I shoot my "fastest" times by focusing on accuracy and when I get into a rhythm the speed comes on its own.

I wonder ... How much your perception of things like that have changed since you began practical shooting?

Laws of physics cannot be broken. Shaft-driven motorcycles cannot be wheelied.

FACT!

Just like how shaft drive cars can't be wheelied, lol.

The Coriolis effect comes into play allowing cars to wheelie.

Ha! I've seen a BMW RT1200 wheelie... And stoppie!

Yes, and I'm sure you were only smoking tobacco when it happened. :eatdrink:

Anyway your discussion is invalid as the best chain lube is... Belt Drive! post-40264-134620834053_thumb.jpg

Belt drive is for camshafts... and manufacturers that think 100-year-old technology is cool.

Mink shot 96.91% of the points at the 2011 Gator Classic.

IIRC, he said it was one of his best matches, and a direct result of coming off the World Shoot with a performance that didn't make him terribly happy. He definitely said that he saw everything very well that day.

Interesting topic. This made me curious to go look at my scores from the Northern CA sectional, Golden Bullet. It was only 190 shots but I scored 95.81% before penalties and 93.72% after with 1 miss in hard cover and 1 no-shoot that also scored an A. Looking back on it, should I have played it safe... NO. If I remember right, the hard cover miss was on a skunk target, no way to play it safe there, and the NS was on a classifier with the whole A-zone available, I should have been able to hit that.

Routinely in local matches I'll look at partial A-zones and while some of my friends are planning on flirting with the A-C line or even taking Cs, I aim for the center of the available A-zone and am usually rewarded. I have to slow down a little to get them, but I think it's worth it. I did the same calculations as Flex showed for my Golden bullet match and came up with 0.31s for me to get the A over C hit and that's definitely doable. I don't think about it as "risking" a no-shoot or a miss. I think about it as taking the extra fraction of a second to ensure an A hit. I'm not coming into a stage letting the wheels fall off, shooting like it's time-plus. That's ok for practice, just to see what you can do. But getting the Alphas is where it's at, especially for production. Anything else is cheating yourself.

• 3 months later...

When you are hanging hits on a target as fast as you can, you are determining what the acceptable sight picture is.

If your target is the A zone then you will be shooting A's as fast as you can, if you are just aiming center mass or center of available area then you are breaking many non A hits as fast as you can.

The question is how much longer does it take to bring the sights into the A zone and hang those A hits.

That amount of time is measured in hundreths of seconds not tenths.

Its a matter of mental discipline and concentration.

If you've ever shot bullseye it becomes subconscious. A relationship between your brain and your trigger finger where it will break the shot when the sights are where you have programmed your mind is acceptable.

Edited by Northern Xtreme

I recently switched to Production and it has really opened my eyes. My shooting is improving in both USPSA Production and 3Gun, which is a different style of shooting.

I was 1st in Production yesterday with 79 A, 2 B, 20 C and 3Ds. All 3 of the Ds were on moving targets, 2 swingers and a clamshell. I shot 464/520 for 89.23% with no penalties or misses. I had three mistakes...forgetting to reload on a 12 round speed shoot getting me 2nd at 98% on the stage, a miss on steel I had to pick up on the classifier and having to back up for a blown position on the first stage of the day. My goal for the match was to shoot clean and call every shot and shoot at least 80% of 1st in Production, which I accomplished. I backed off the speed a touch to make sure I was meeting the goal of calling every shot. Only one open shooter in the whole match shot more points and we have some top level GMs.

I think I have proven to myself what many of you have said here or elsewhere. Shoot points and don't think about speed. The three times I thought about speed, I made mistakes. The times I thought about shooting points and calling the shots, I shot well. I still have the longer term goal of averaging 90% of points over multiple matches and i think I am well on the way.

I must also add that James has been harping on me for a year to wear my prescrition glasses, which I have for the last three matches and I have been over 80% in all three. Went from red to green fiber optic and in January, I am going to try contacts. Seeing does help... :roflol:

Except for the shaft-drive discussions, thanks for this thread and the comments herein.

Another 1st in Production today, 98 As, 8 Bs, 9 Cs, 541/575 for 94.09%. The 8 Bs were on a stage where I shot 8 head shots on purpose. If the target presentation was a little different, I am pretty sure I would have been at 95.5%. I got a little sloppy on a stage after missing some 25 yard steel plates and rushed which got me 5 of the 9 Cs. Shooting in 35F degrees was not a benefit, but it seems that the shooting As thing does not care whether it is hot or cold because there is a consistency based on sight picture, not something else. Does that last sentence make sense to those of you who shoot at a higher level that I do?

After thinking about sight picture and shooting As for 4 straight matches, my % of points has gone up every successive match and my speed has not suffered. I've also shot 4 clean matches in a row which I am pretty sure I had never done previously. When I first read the "Ben asked" question, I was prepared to say "no, except for a fluke", but now I think the answer can be "yes".

I got about 97 at Space City this year.

I think breaking into the 99.XX will be tough.

That would be 3 charlies in the 300 round match.....

2 if it's under 300 rounds total. On the other hand, I had a Nationals where I went one for one on all but 1 steel targets -- so if you think of shooting it that way, as pass/fail on the first attempt, it should be doable....

Require some level of focus though, and don't know if that would be the winning strategy....

Our times will be similar and the speed issue will likely be settled by the absence or presence of errors.

Or by the relative quality of the errors.....

I once congratulated a master on a very fast make-up shot on a Nationals stage, and he replied that as you get better at the game, the quality of your mistakes improves, as does the quality of resolving them....

Still best to avoid them..... :D