Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help, What Would You Do?

Okay, here is my dilemma. I have never reloaded before and have in my possession an RL550 and an RL1050. I want to load .40 and at this point, nothing else. My 1050 is set up for .45, and from what I understand it's a royal pain to set up in a new caliber, plus the cost involved. The 550 has no dies and the wrong shell plates, is missing the primer tube and a couple other bits and shits, but for all intents and purposes is supposed to be a much easier machine to run. Either way I'm going to have to buy dies and some other things to get either press running.

I can try to trade out the .45 stuff for the 1050 and then eventually get it to work, or, I can go with the 550 and.... AARRGGHHHH!!!!

Just need to know what the general consensus might be, keeping in mind that I am a complete newbie. And please, no solicitations for the sale of either machine. If I decide to sell one or both of them I will do so at a later time.

I've been loading on a 650 and lnl for 4 years, I want a 1050 bad, for the primer swagger since I shoot major 9 and lots of it.

Sell the 550 and use the money for the things you need on the 1050, get a Powder Check not essential but very nice to have and it makes loading a lot faster, you don't have to take the time to look in the case for powder. You will struggle a bit to get the 1050 adjusted but once adjusted it will be pull the ram stuff a bullet a 100 rounds every 6 minutes.

I did some loading on a friends 550, it was very slow compared to loading on the LNL or 650.

I started on a fully progressive press, you can do it, don't let people say your to stupid to do it. I will say the Dillon 1050 and 650 press require some mechincal problem solving skills

You already have it so cost isn't a factor, so having a Lexus would you drive the Yugo cause you are afraid to go fast?

I've been loading on a 650 and lnl for 4 years, I want a 1050 bad, for the primer swagger since I shoot major 9 and lots of it.

Sell the 550 and use the money for the things you need on the 1050, get a Powder Check not essential but very nice to have and it makes loading a lot faster, you don't have to take the time to look in the case for powder. You will struggle a bit to get the 1050 adjusted but once adjusted it will be pull the ram stuff a bullet a 100 rounds every 6 minutes.

I did some loading on a friends 550, it was very slow compared to loading on the LNL or 650.

I started on a fully progressive press, you can do it, don't let people say your to stupid to do it. I will say the Dillon 1050 and 650 press require some mechincal problem solving skills

You already have it so cost isn't a factor, so having a Lexus would you drive the Yugo cause you are afraid to go fast?

Actually, cost is a bit of a factor as I'm starting a new business and cash flow is tight. I'm comfortable with mechanics (Dealership Tech for ten years), but what's overwhelming is the initial startup with the conversion, and supplies. I know I'll kick myself if I chicken out of the 1050 and have to manually index the press. BUT, Dillon just sent me six brand new powder measures and dies for the 550, so if I decide to add other calibers it's a lot easier. I also have six extra tool heads for the 550. I know from reading this forum that it's a piece of piss to swap tool heads on the 550 and run compared to the 1050.

You are one of the luckiest guys I ever heard of.

Keep them both, get the 550 running for 40 and load away...

when cash flow is better or you feel the need, get the 1050 running and

sell off the 550 and extra parts (they hold their value)or keep it to load other calibers (quick change) and dedicate the 1050 to 40 or you most common caliber.

In the long run, you wont regret it.

You are one of the luckiest guys I ever heard of.

Keep them both, get the 550 running for 40 and load away...

when cash flow is better or you feel the need, get the 1050 running and

sell off the 550 and extra parts (they hold their value)or keep it to load other calibers (quick change) and dedicate the 1050 to 40 or you most common caliber.

In the long run, you wont regret it.

Now THIS is some good advice. The 550 is a great press. Manual indexing is NOT a big deal, especially for a novice reloader. It sounds like you have almost everything you need to load .40, or you can swap a powder measure and/or a toolhead to get a conversion kit and/or dies you might need.

Then... if you are cash poor, you can sell the 1050 outright if you need to. Or not, if cash flow is good.

Good luck, regardless of your choice. :-)

1) I would NEVER load on a 4-station progressive or a manual indexing progressive. I knew when I bought my first progressive (late '70s), that 5-stations was the minimum for me.

2) It takes a few more minutes to change calibers on a 1050, but you are ONLY shooting one caliber any way.

I would sell the boat anchor and get that 1050 up and running.

If not, you can get at least $1000 for the 1050 and spend it on components--or sell both and get a 5-station press.

+1 on what cnote says -

I have both a 550 and a 1050 and love them both. Got the 550 first, then picked up a used 1050 for my high volume caliber(s) - .38 Spl right now. Get Dillon dies for your 40 S&W - you can always use them on your 1050 later. As for your 550 - it is useless without the other parts you mentioned it needed - call Brian and he will walk you thru the order and make sure you get everything you need to get up and running.

OVW

Well I know the 1050's are great my father in law has one. And several caliber conversions. I however went with 2 650's one for large primers and one for small primers, one case feeder that I can switch between the 2 650's.

Caliber conversions are really easy if you have the toolheads all set up with powder measures already adjusted, just use whichever 650 is set for the primers you need. Your 6 powder measures and dies will work on the 650 you just need the toolheads and you would be good to go.

Also 2 650's and a casefeeder won't cost much more than one 1050 set up for small or large primers. And you can either keep the 550 or sell it and all the toolheads for about 75%-80% of the price of new. I also have a 550 that I use for rifle calibers that I don't shoot a large volume of rounds in.

I will throw another vote at starting on the 550 unless you have someone with a 1050 close by to help you. Cheaper start and easier to learn with. When you are ready swap to the 1050. Depending on how much you shoot and reload it wil most likely only be a few months. Then you can sell the 550 to pay for the conversions our just a couple of your powder measures and keep both presses.

I am in AL. I load almost all 45. Will drive to Jacksonville, and set up your 550 in 40, and tune it for your reload specs. Sell the extra powder measures and tool heads to cover the upgrade and parts. It will cost you 1 1050 in 45 acp. Or I can hook you up with a tuned 650 in trade for your inop presses.

Seriously, take their advice, you are setup with a lifetime of awesome, and readily upgradeable equipment. Setup the 550 in 40 and get started. Move the dies over and get the 1050 rolling when you get the $.

My offer still stands, I can be down there next week.

Wow. So many generous and truly selfless people here on Enos. Thanks you all for your input, feel free to keep it coming. I am definitely going to call Brian and get his input as well. I put an ad on the USPSA classifieds to see if anyone was interested in swapping out .45 for .40 on the 1050 but so far no takers. If I could do that I would just have to do the install and buy supplies to get started. I'd really prefer to not have to sell any of my treasures but I get the feeling that may be necessary. I'm starting to think that a crack and hooker hobby would be a lot cheaper than my competitive shooting obsession. Maybe I should just take up knitting....