Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

327 TRR8 - Steel Challenge ( Scandium Revolvers )

alecmc

I've been shopping around for an 8 shot revolver for steel challenge and knockdown steel events, I know I can always fall back on purchasing a 627PC all steel gun, but I want to explore the options.

The 327 TRR8 Scandium revolver caught my eye, I could care less for the " tacticool " options like the light rail, which i wouldnt mount, The top rail might come in handy to throw a c-more on for open division though.

For those who have shot, or shoot a 327 TRR8 or another Scandium revolver variant do you feel that the lighter gun makes for more recoil over an all steel 627? Transitions from target to target will be faster? Are the quality of Scandium revovlers like the TRR8 lacking?

I'd be using light minor loads for steel challenge, but I assume knockdown events will need something with a little more PF, probably around 125-135 or so?

According to smith and wesson, the TRR8 weighs in at 35.3 ounces, and the 627PC at 44 ounces. Having never shot the 327TRR8 I cannot comment on if the 8.7 ounce difference between the guns will be a world of difference.

Also, as far as triggers being better or worse on the other is negligible as I'd be sending off whatever I picked for an action job.

Thanks!

Edited by alecmc

Miculek shoots a 327 for steel challenge right?

It seems reasonable that the weight is the reason as it should ease transitions.

Probably less important getting it moving, more important stopping fast on the next target.

It seems reasonable that the weight is the reason as it should ease transitions.

Probably less important getting it moving, more important stopping fast on the next target.

I thought it might of been the same gun, but his website has it listed as a 627PC, Couldnt tell you if its Scandium or not

http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

I thought it might of been the same gun, but his website has it listed as a 627PC, Couldnt tell you if its Scandium or not

http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

I stand corrected.

The website might be wrong through. I thought anything that started with a "6" was stainless model, unless it has some uber finish or something.

It also says there that it is a 6" barrel and the pictured gun does not have a 6" barrel.

I think the site is just wrong because that certainly looks like a 327 or TRR-8 to me. I imagine it being Jerry's gun they could have put one of the shrouded barrels on a stainless frame, and black oxided it, but why would they have? I personally don't trust the alloy for heavy use and certainly wouldn't want it for major. Those models certainly seem to have less versitility than the 8 times. I never understand the starting and stopping argument in steel, you really only ever have to change directions once. You should be pulling the trigger on the way to the target. My thought is if you are stopping on the plate vice breaking the shot as the sights move across it, you are doing it wrong.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Scandium is an alloy they put in aluminum to make it stronger. The Scandium parts are aluminum to save weight on a carry gun. Aluminum weighs 1/3 of an equal size steel part. Aluminum will not hold up well to the pounding of a centerfire match gun though it is fine for the occasional practice session.

I purchased one of the S&W 327 PC JM versions with alloy frame, titanium cylinder and titanium shrouded steel barrel. I have not weighed it but it is significantly lighter than my 627PC. This 327 comes back on target faster than my 627. I only use it to shoot lioght load at Steel Challenge matches.

I started shooting Steel Challenge with a 625 JM. I soon moved to a 627 PC for about two years. For the last six months I've been using a M&P 327 R8. I cannot detect the weight difference. But, I have ordered a C-more railway that will mount easy to the M&P.

I am using hand loads 38's 120 gn RNFP with just under 4 gns Trail Boss I don't think this load will beat up the SC frame revolver at all.

Edited by Macinaw

I'm not impressed with the amount of wear that I have seen on scandium frames. If they would build the same gun with the lite weight shrouded barrel, a stainless frame and a Ti cylinder I would try one. The weight would be close to the same and you would have a steel frame that would last. For me a scandium frame gun for carry would be fine but not for competition shooting. Scandium guns should be carried a lot and shot little. :mellow:

GregK,

I agree - that configuration would be the literal cat's meow. I called S&W PC to see if they would put the titanium cylinder and titanium shrouded bareel on my 627. They would with the cylinder but stated that they could not do the barrel since there is some difference in configuration or the manner in which the barrel joins the frame.

Tony

Scandium framed guns appear to have a "blact shield" or similar on the underside of the top strap? It appears to protects the softer frame from gas cutting between the cylinder & barrel. Hope this makes sense.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/98562-scandium-revolvers-frame-damage.html

Edited by NOSAJ19

I've been working on a 327 a bit and have noticed the blast shield,

and a coller or insert in the frame for the exracter pin.

Both high wear/concern areas imo.

What I have some concern about is the groove the extrator pin is

wearing into the recoil shield.

I would think for light SC loads the spring presure for this part could

be reduced to reduce that maybe.

The Aussie-Texan used to shoot one in this game IIRC, maybe he'll chime in here?

What I have some concern about is the groove the extrator pin is

wearing into the recoil shield.

Yes, a friend of mine tried to run a 325 TR for about 6 months and the pin has cut a ditch into the recoil shield and the gun is hard to close up now. :angry2:

Thanks for the comments guys, I've still decided to ' take my luck ' with the 327 trr8. I only plan on shooting light .38 specials in it, so I doubt very much i'll have any issues.

If anything arises , i'll be sure to mention it

I've been using a 327 TRR8 for the challenge for several years now. It is only ever fired super light steel challenge loads and continue to have no issues. When I last talked with Jerry about his steel challenge gun in early 2011, he was running a scandium frame that was rebarrelled for 38 super.

I've been meaning to ask for clarification on that Dave, Yes he said it was rebarrelled from my conversation at the match as well, but it later occured to me the gun already was a .357 barrel just like the 627 38 super guns, why the rebarrel? Was it the cylinder that was drilled for the super? Or was the cylinder a shorter 38 super one and the longer 38 super barrel? I didn't catch which setup it was.