Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 problem

justmike

First the gun is used but new to me. The problem is that when I pull the trigger slowly in DA the hammer will not fall. Any movement left or right to the trigger and the hammer will fall. Pulling the trigger at speed it falls every time(my thinking is that I'm not pulling it straight to the rear at normal speeds). It has all new springs in it if that helps. I can't figure it out PLEASE HELP!

Try the screw that holds down the mag catch spring. If you look into the frame you will see a flat head screw that holds tension on it. It effects the double action pull. If that is the problem take it out and loctite it in place.

It doesn't have an over travel screw. I should have mention that earlier today I noticed the lifter bar spring wasn't making contact with the trigger bar. I was able to bend them up so they were pushing against the trigger bar but it still didn't help. I haven't tried half cock but it works SA every time. Do I need to replace the lifter bar spring?

The problem sounds like the trigger bar is not receiving enough tension from the trigger bar spring to push it up and into the sear. So, the grooves on the underside of the trigger bar may be dirty, the spring might be weak, the spring might be faulty, the mag release screw might be installed incorrectly (did you ever remove it?) Or anything along those lines.

Sounds like sear has been polished a little too much, I'd get a new one and try it with fresh springs.

if it's had a triger job, yeah. essentially the trigger bar is submarining under the sear and fpb legs. but given the info so far with the trigger bar spring jumping out of the groove....

Thanks guys, the screw that retains the trigger bar spring apparently has been out in the past because the sides that recieve the flathead screwdriver are rounded over. I tried tightening and looseng it and the screwdriver just jumped off the screw. The sear is polished. Is it worth tring to bend the trigger spring up some more or just go ahead and order a new spring, screw and sear? Thanks again

put a little loctite on the screw. then, holding the trigger bar with one of your fingers, slowly tighten the screw and make sure you're not distorting it. that is why it was jumping out of the groove. you can always bend it a bit to add tension, but a new one is better. Who polished the sear?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the diagnosis guys. I'm just going to order a new spring, screw, and sear. Not sure who polished it.

Mine is at the custom shop with the gurus as we speak for the same problem. With mine, it seemed like the safety was a little loose and allowing the sear block to float a bit. I could squeeze the safety together and it worked flawlessly, but seemed to loosen up after a couple of hammer drops and act up again. I hope the experts at the custom shop will explain what they find to me. It sure makes that first shot in a stage hectic, I know that!

"Riding the safety" worked for me too for a little while, but eventually that didn't do any good either. I found that I had to really focus on putting a lot of side pressure on the safety for a work around. Either way, better to just get it fixed and not adjust to the problem. Hope your parts fix the problem!

My new Custom Shop does this as well. I notice it most often when dry firing with strong or weak hand only and on a very slow trigger pull. It hasn't been a problem at a match yet. I thought it was just my gun but it's interesting to see others seeing the exact same issue. So, should I expect this to get worse?

Thanks,

Alma

Got my shooter back today and all is right with the world again. Custom shop didn't say what the problem was or how they fixed it but the safety on the right side of the gun seems to have been replaced - this was the part that was loosening up with time. Whatever they did fixed the problem because now I have a nice, smooth DA again. Looks like there might have been some sear block work done also, I don't know. Maybe Stuart will weigh in on it - unless it's a trade secret or something. Bottom line; if you want it fixed, they can do it.

Alma- the problem with mine also started with the slow trigger pull too if that helps..........or hurts.

Update:

Replaced the trigger. At litter spring, sear and sear spring and still no hammer drop if I don't ride the safety. Any ideas?

I'm thinking I need a right side safety also. It had shadow safeties put on it sometime in its past and the right moves forward and backwards while the trigger is pulled it I don't ride the safety. Like Alma I thought the safety movement was normal. Anyone have a set of standard SP 01 safeties for sale! I hate the shadow ones anyways.

Update:

Replaced the trigger. At litter spring, sear and sear spring and still no hammer drop if I don't ride the safety. Any ideas?

I'm thinking I need a right side safety also. It had shadow safeties put on it sometime in its past and the right moves forward and backwards while the trigger is pulled it I don't ride the safety. Like Alma I thought the safety movement was normal. Anyone have a set of standard SP 01 safeties for sale! I hate the shadow ones anyways.

Like said above, make SURE the overtravel screw on the trigger is not set too close/has some extra travel.

Just a WAG> If the hammer has been changed/modified, the clearance between the safety and sear may be just a skosh off. The clearance there is critical. If it's not right, pushing on the safety might let it release..

Stuart or David at Cajun Gun Works (http://www.cajungunw....com/index.html) would know. Both are regulars at the CZ forum: http://www.czfirearms.us/

Edited by 1SOW

Update:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=49964.new#new