Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety glasses "saves": Let's hear them...

ericm

When I was younger and worked road construction I had the fitting from a 5' air tamper break off and shoot me in the face. Hit directly on the lens of my Oakleys and skidded off to the side. It left a deflection groove in the lens and tore open my cheek on the way past my head. Then I had to jump on the hose waving around like a fricken snake. Just another great day running the shovel in trench...

• 1 month later...

This has been an eye opening discussion. Safety glasses will be a part of my routine for a lot more than just shooting sports.

Remember, you're only one eye away from being only one eye away from being blind. Imagine how much more careful you would be with only one eye, and then be that careful with the spare as well, since that's no good way to live. I assume everyone wears protection when reloading?

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead since so many good saves are cataloged here.

As Jay alludes to, I took a chunk of lead/copper to the temple at the 2014 Midwest 3 Gun on stage 9, OUR FIRST STAGE!, just above the glasses.

I felt it go in as I was shooting!!!! Jay Carillo caught this moment on his Youtube video (stage 9)

Trapr and the range medic operated, BIGBROWNDOG finally dug it out, and I was back to shooting (that's one way to get out of resetting)

I didn't have a moments worry about my eyes since I was wearing Pyramex Venture II Z87+ rated (with yellow lenses for the flat light ; ))

ericm

In high school my friend accidentally cut off a crotch rocket going down the road. The rider was none too happy. He chased my friend down and stabbed him in the eye with a knife. Luckily for my friend the blade bounced off his Oakley's and sliced into his cheek. Dude then sped away never to be caught by the police.

My friend had a nasty cut on his cheek but at least he still had his eye. Really big scratch in the lens but they held the knife out.

Guys always wear safty glasses, when shooting or working with metal.

I work in the medical imaging field, CT and MRI.

If you work with metal, grinding etc. small dust/peices WILL GET IN YOUR EYES AND STAY THERE.

Before getting a MRI they usally/better ask if you work with metal, if so they will scan your orbits with a CT to see if you have metal in your eyes, if you do NO MRI for you. The MRI will pull them though your skin.

Our most powerful MRI is 30,000 gauss, the earths magnetic field is 0.5 gauss.

Edited by Finbox

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I've been to the ER twice for a metal shaving in my eye. Both times I was wearing safyeu glasses and both times at work using a portaban just above my head. It's like slow motion seeing a piece of metal shaving drop down and bounce off the inside of my safety glasses and right into my eye.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I've been to the ER twice for a metal shaving in my eye. Both times I was wearing safyeu glasses and both times at work using a portaban just above my head. It's like slow motion seeing a piece of metal shaving drop down and bounce off the inside of my safety glasses and right into my eye.

Spent 33 years in the machining business and also ended up twice in the ER with metal chips that snuck in from the side but I cannot begin to count the number of times safety glasses saved my vision. I recall stopping by an employee who was precision grinding multiple parts on a surface grinder. He set up the auto cycle and started it without turning on the magnetic chuck. The result was the 24" diameter x 2" wide grinding wheel spinning 3600 rpm exploding and pelting us with shrapnel. We both had multiple bleeders but what shook me the most was the large gouge in the left lens. The chunk of aluminum oxide grinding wheel hit my glasses with such force that the frame impact on my eyebrow it split open and needed stitches.

Even the cheapest safety glasses have saved me from frag and such. But the fit is what I look for most now as I had a piece of brass bounce off a barricade to my right and fly magically past my hat, past my glasses frame and land behind the lens on my check. Burning my flesh and held there by the glasses, unable to be dislodged with the most vigorous of head shaking.

The cheapo walmart safety glasses meet the MIL STD for impact protection which is better than the Z87+ standard.

I think they are "champion" brand now.

So far, I haven't had any appreciable size shrapnel hit my glasses.

I did have a ricochet bounce off the top of my head once.

Edited by LuckyDucky

Spent 33 years in the machining business and also ended up twice in the ER with metal chips that snuck in from the side but I cannot begin to count the number of times safety glasses saved my vision. I recall stopping by an employee who was precision grinding multiple parts on a surface grinder. He set up the auto cycle and started it without turning on the magnetic chuck. The result was the 24" diameter x 2" wide grinding wheel spinning 3600 rpm exploding and pelting us with shrapnel. We both had multiple bleeders but what shook me the most was the large gouge in the left lens. The chunk of aluminum oxide grinding wheel hit my glasses with such force that the frame impact on my eyebrow it split open and needed stitches.

I'm sure the glasses have saved my ass more than twice but its always the hospital trips I remember more than the near misses...

These saves are amazing.

That happened to me once with a welding helmet on. A full-on glowing red shard bounced around and embedded in the cornea.

The next day I had to take 2 flights and the pressure changes made me feel like my orbitals were going to literally explode. I finally broke down and saw the doc, and whatever optical analgesic he put in my eye after digging it out almost made me cry from relief.

Other than that I've punched out the lenses of 2 glasses with my own hands (pulling on stuck things or things I though were secured in a vice). I also pretty much doublefist-stabbed myself with a phillips heads screwdriver right into the polycarbonate lens over my left eye.

This isn't a save but my best friend lost his eye after hitting steel while training. Nothing in the word could save it, the glasses he was wearing slid down on his nose when he was hit. He worked for several contractors downrange where some never knew he only had one eye. One contractor found out and dissolved his position....and sent him home right before deployment.

My glasses have been hit numerous times when working with cable and fiber, and I've been hit while on ranges and other places thriving w flying metal.

Safety glasses are such cheap insurance!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I've gotten plenty of frags from steel challenge etc. I had a Glock KB on me because I was a dumbass with a single stage press and some Titegroup. The extractor bounced off my cheek, and I'm glad to have had wraparound glasses that gave my eyes some protection from underneath.