Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ideal comp, powder, bullet weight for 9 minor

818-DVC

9x19 is new to me. minor PF is too. I'm building a dedicated steel gun, and everything I read about it is confusing at best. I want enough gas to work a comp, but I am conflicted because I know I need a lot of gas to properly work one too. I know better than to add popple holes or ports to a 9 barrel to run major, but how do I down play for minor and still properly work the comp? I'm sure there must be a combo that works. I'm not concerned about loading up front weight, or running too light, as I will get used to that. I know many run shorter guns/comps for steel too, but in 9 it seems like it would be a bit more violent. I am thinking 5". any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JL

Are we talking Steel Challenge or falling steel? With Steel Challenge, it seems to be popular to use a 95gr JHP. I have shot some of these out of my full size open gun, and the dot does not move. For falling steel I would probably use at least a 115gr bullet. I have been using either 115 JHPs or 124 CMJs with 5.5-6.0gr of Autocomp for a 140 or so PF. IMR 7625 also makes a great minor load at about 5.5gr.

What do you need a comp for? Seriously. It's one shot, then move on to the next target. The comp doesn't need to do a lot of work to keep you on target for a 2nd shot.

It will though. It is a barrel weight, even if it didn't have some comp action. (But it will have some comp action.)

I'd follow WS's advice...though I'd use TiteGroup, as I have it as my "go to" powder.

This one can get over-thought. You will already be shooting a mousefart (ultra minor) load. Try out some of what you have and see how it performs.

My ideal 2011 based steel gun would be:

Scheumann Commander Bull Barrel. Do not port the barrel. It won't do jack but bleed off the precious gas.

Bedell Titanium Comp with all but two chambers cut off then the last/second chamber side vented.

Goverment slide cut back to commander length and lightened.

Goverment recoil system with the comp cut on the bottom for guide rod clearance. 7 or 8lb recoil spring

Swenson safety or Krebs style thumb shield (Thumb drag will jam a lighlty sprung minor gun)

Good mags with plenty of tension to feed.

Now this would be a hefty investment for a dedicated steel gun. This is where an Open Glock, XD, or M&P would shine for much cheaper. :cheers:

What do you need a comp for? Seriously. It's one shot, then move on to the next target. The comp doesn't need to do a lot of work to keep you on target for a 2nd shot.

Mr. Flexmoney, we need comps, because the 9mm minor is too much for us on the darkside to handle. In addition, other people use comps, so it must be better! Right? Umm...

:eatdrink:

Whoa Whoa Whoa!!!!! Take it from someone who has shot a lot of 9 minor with and without comps, the comps help . . . a lot depending on the platform! You still have thousands of psi to use outside the end of the barrel (depending on the load and barrel length), even with fast powders. Short comps may be just as effective in most cases, but no comp will not be. Also, the 2011 will have less muzzle rise than the other polymer framed models currently on the market. It doesn't have to be that way, but engineers are too freaking lazy to make it better!

A great consideration for a great steel gun is a Witness Gold Custom. Do all the research you can and you'll see that this has a light comp, extremely light slide, and good supporting features for a great price. Also, the ports will help center the muzzle return, as well as using the gas when it's available with your minor loads. Fast loads make their velocity quicker, so the ports won't have as detrimental an effect as with a major load and even then, the factory witness gold barrel is very fast with its polygonal rifling. The ports don't hurt it as much as you might think. Also, thanks to its super light slide, minor loads are never a problem in the gun . . . I can't say that for many of the 2011s I've shot. The biggest issue would likely be getting it to run in 9mm, but it is possible.

The W231 load listed directly above this post is great too.

Edited by Whoops!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks whoops! I think I found my comp, load, weight etc. Not a big fan of the CZ platform. just my taste. going the 1/32 twist route for sure. thanks!

JL

What did you end up with and how do you like it?

The problem with shooting 9 minor and fast powder is that the gun gets very lazy, you can feel the slide as it travels back and then as it travels forward. This can slow you down a bit. Maybe I just like a little snap with my pop.

9 minor open gun loads:

115gr 5.6gr of AutoComp

124gr 5.2gr of AutoComp

Increase as necessary to get the feel and snap you need up to 7.0gr.

I know just keep dropping the sping down till you have a 2# or so, but going below 9#'s can cause FTF, and yes I've run 7# and 8# in one of my guns but the other two won't run rreliably with those light springs. One gun won't shoot minor at all, minor won't even cock the hammer.