Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS minor

Hoffer

This is done and perhaps more than one might think. Like anything else, there are advantages and disadvanages both applicable to the game and to the gun itself.

Personally, I'm having a two caliber single stack gun built in 9mm and .40 so that I can shoot either with a simple swapping of a few parts.

It depends on he match. Some like the Area 8 match last week are pretty 8 round friendly so SS major would have been a better choice. To me, Area 6 was set up for 10 rounds so SS minor would have worked better.

Cost is a factor, I can load 124g 9mm for +- $50 per 1k less than 180g .40. That does let me practice more.

The biggest factor is your ability to shoot A's and to find places to use the extra 2 rounds.

My opinion is that most people would do better with SS Major in most matches.

IMO, if SS minor was the way to go, all the top guys would be using it. No one shoots all A's and the point differences are just too great to overcome.

But, a 9mm 1911 is a fun gun to shoot.

I completely concur with everything the original poster (KTM300) from the link supplied by Round Gun Shooter said. Regardless of my chagrin, I shoot my 9mm SS tons better than my .45's. I decided that I would shoot single stack minor until such time that my performance and placement at matches is hampered by minor scoring (not likely to happen anytime soon) Since I shoot USPSA for the shear enjoyment of the sport as well as the desire to improver my skills, the 9mm is a good fit at this time. Not to mention the ton of money I'm saving loading 9mm vs .45. In addition, the transition from .22 1911 practice to 9mm 1911 practice is more manageable then .22 to .45.

Most COF are set up for 8rounds. Very rarely is SS minor an advantage.

Not sure where you shoot but I see a lot of courses set up to shoot in groups of 10 better than groups of 8

This year, The Florida Open, Area 6, and SC sectional for three. Almost every stage had at least one place where 9 and 10 helped. On the all steel stage 10 was a blessing.

I shot a local match a few weeks ago that was unloaded at the start, then 8 - 8 - 8 - Star with 3 plates. I was shooting the 8 round gun and it was not all that much fun. Three slide lock reloads, and had to go 1 for 1 on the steel or do a standing reload.

How about when the postion is set up for 8 and you call a shot bad, slide lock reloads are not much fun either.

Having said that if I could shoot the .40 as well as I shoot the 9mm I would probably shoot major in 70% of the matches I shoot.

Edited by ktm300

we dont see 10 too much at the local matches here, but a 4 shot array next to a 6 shot seperated by a barricade of some sort - plenty of those. typically i need about a 5 foot gap between arrays to reload without feeling like i'm wasting time and if the arrays are right next to each other, the gap may be too small.

I have thought about this topic a lot, and I still shoot major at major matches, even though I have to say that there WERE stages at the recent Indiana sectional that I WOULD have done better if I'd shot minor, because I really needed those extra two rounds, especially since I was the only SS shooter on the squad and several were shooting L10 (and my buddies shooting Production).

I own no gun that I love shooting as much as my 9mm 1911. Even if I was sure that the points mattered that much, a 9mm 1911 is just too much of a joy to shoot to turn it down.

I have shot the Single Stack Nationals and there there might be one stage every other year where having more than 9 rounds in the pistol might save a reload, but not enough for most people to give up the advantage of shooting Major. Julie is an exception as she has won the Woman Title twice shooting a S&W Pro 1911 in 9MM. I think it depends on course design (where have I heard that before). ;)

I would expect the SS nationals to be at least close to SS friendly and would plan to shoot major there.

I just shot Area 8 and should have shot major as there was only one stage that 10 would have helped much at all and I didn't see the best way to shoot it with 10 so it did not help me. I knew it before I went and took the minor gun anyway. I paid a price for shooting minor in that match.

Julie could do well in SS with a revolver (;-))

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Results are just in. In the 2012 USPSA Florida State Championship, the 1st 2nd and 4th Place Single Stack finisher shot Minor.

So I guess it's not the size of the arrow............ :cheers:

Sorry I could not get the results to format properly, but you get the picture

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=5925&division=Single%20Stack&guntype=Pistol

Overall Results for Pistol Single Stack

Match Name: 2012 Florida State Championship

Match Date: 8/24/12

Host Club WAC PRACTICAL SHOOTERS (CFL09)

Organization: USPSA

Additional Info: Show Stage Profiles

Place Name USPSA Comp # Class PF Lady Mil Law Age Match Pts Match %

1 Roger H TY49127 69 A Minor 1048.8869 100.000%

2 Irwin B A57891 13 C Minor 930.9875 88.760%

3 Dave J TY15653 84 B Major Senior 920.5761 87.767%

4 Mark W A68501 174 C Minor 849.6806 81.008%